Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Preventive maintenance on CPS etc

Old 06-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: Preventive maintenance on CPS etc

Originally Posted by Wadsworth
Wow huge price difference between the two sensors the new model is less than half the price. Was it plug and play or did you have to change the wiring connector?
What part numbers are you talking about? It would be interesting to know.
The way I see it is that the 037 part is still the part to be used.
The 050art is discontinued as of 2014 and the replacement for it, 114, does not work.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If I am reading correctly from post #18. Bosch 0232103050 replaces Bosch 0232103037.
I have not ordered the part yet, but it is one part I still need to get for spare part collection.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to confuse everybody.

The part I took out from my 2007 car is 050 (see my previous post), for which, according to the Bosch site, has a Type Formula of PG-3-8. It is discontinued since 04/2014 and replaced by 114.

The always recommended P/N is 037, which has a Type Formula of PG-3-5, which seems less technologically advanced than 114 PG-3-8, according to the slide I found (see my previous posts).

050 should probably be fine.

The difference between PG-3-5 and PG-3-8 is that the PG-3-8 sensor implements the TPO (True Power On) feature, with a higher accuracy.

114 is working fine in my car, same plug.

Last edited by crossvic; 06-12-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:08 PM

I'm a bit confused by conflicting statements from recent posts in this thread: Is part number 037 or part number 114 the best choice?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:24 AM

Hi,

I'm not enough experienced to give a definitive advice. What I found out is merely driven by my own experience. As I explained, the part I took out from my car is 050, which is not built anymore but has a replacement part 114, which should be more technologically advanced than 037.

I should say it depends on your original part. Remove it first, it's easy peasy. And order the same one, or the replacement part.

My own experience:

- wanted to do preventive maintenance by changing first the CamPS because it's easy to remove
- ordered the 037 one as advised here
- car starting to face surging idle (up to 2200 rpm, at neutral or very low speed) then
- ordered the 114 one
- changed the CrankPS but still surging idle
- changed the CamPS with 114 and running fine now

Old 07-09-2018, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by crossvic
Hi,

I'm not enough experienced to give a definitive advice. What I found out is merely driven by my own experience. As I explained, the part I took out from my car is 050, which is not built anymore but has a replacement part 114, which should be more technologically advanced than 037.

I should say it depends on your original part. Remove it first, it's easy peasy. And order the same one, or the replacement part.

My own experience:

- wanted to do preventive maintenance by changing first the CamPS because it's easy to remove
- ordered the 037 one as advised here
- car starting to face surging idle (up to 2200 rpm, at neutral or very low speed) then
- ordered the 114 one
- changed the CrankPS but still surging idle
- changed the CamPS with 114 and running fine now

Sounds like definitive advice to me.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 AM

I should say "experience"

Old 07-10-2018, 06:45 PM

Pizzaguy, it appears that you're encouraging me to ignore the recent post by one hundred 80; I'm not comfortable with doing that. Help me understand...
/Rich

Originally Posted by onehundred80
What part numbers are you talking about? It would be interesting to know.
The way I see it is that the 037 part is still the part to be used.
The 050art is discontinued as of 2014 and the replacement for it, 114, does not work.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

All,
It's easy to read the part number while the old sensor is installed. Just need to be able to read upside down with a magnifying glass (for us weak-eyed geezers).
My 2004 has an original 037 installed and I am carrying a new 037 as a spare.
I'll be replacing the Crank Position Sensor and the Camshaft Position Sensor with new Bosch sensors, then carry the now working sensors as the spares.
That should carry us through until we become invalids (?).

Thanks to all for the never ending information and advice on the Crossfire Line.
Cheers,
Chooch

Old 09-03-2019, 04:34 PM

Hello there onehundred80, how's your Xfire running today? I've been posting a few times in the forum relating how I just got my 106Kmile 2004 Crossfire Coupe but it's really not a new car for me. Four years ago, my wife bought the car for herself and I never drove nor payed attention to it: it was "HER" car. That same year, I retired from work, sold our home in Illinois and moved to Las Cruces,NM. On the way there, the car failed spectacularly: brake problems that caused us to spend 3 days and 2 nights stranded in Tucumcary, NM. Very expensive repair to add insult to injury. My wife was so mad, as soon as we got to Las Cruces, she sold the car. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago: the people who bought the car put it up for sale and I convinced my wife to let me buy it for myself. I had to go get it from Tucson Arizona and drove it straight back to Las Cruces, a 4-hour drive. I fell in love with it then: the car drives like a dream. Since then, I've accomplished the "Panthom Ignition" repair, polished the headlight covers, fixed-repaired & re-attached the broken driver-side speaker oval cover and I'm waiting on parts to replace the cup holder with a storage bin. And now, to ask help with my next projects: the car has 106K miles... I'm retired now; I want to travel far and wide and at long last visit as many of the grand Federal and State Parks that make our country beautiful! I do not want a repeat of the type problems that caused my wife to sell the car and I do not want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead car again. What can I do to make sure my Crossfire is in the most top mechanical shape possible?

Last edited by josefran; 09-03-2019 at 04:36 PM.