Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Wiper issues

Old 09-15-2017, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper issues

Hey everyone! Just purchased my 2005 basic crossfire convertible (black) at an auction about a month ago. She's a beauty inside and out, but I'm running into an issue with my windshield wipers. At first they didn't work at all-- I quickly realized that it was missing the fuse so I bought one and plugged it in. The problem now is that when I turn the key so the car power comes on, the wipers turn on by themselves even with the wiper switch in the off position. If I play with the switch they eventually will shut off but typically when they're only halfway down the windshield. I have no idea what is causing this. I thought maybe the switch was sticking so I bought some silicone lubricant and sprayed it into the small areas I could and worked it in, but it didn't make a difference. Any thoughts?

Old 09-15-2017, 05:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wiper issues

Well I can't say that I have seen this issue before, the best advice I can give you is to download the service manual available on the form and dig in. Or use the search bar at the top of the Forum page and type in wiper problems. I know there have been other posts concerning issues with the wipers but not that particular one that I can remember. Or you can save all of that and just send a private message to 180, he's been on here since before Methuselah came out of diapers 😁

Last edited by Kingdav1954; 09-15-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Vyse
Hey everyone! Just purchased my 2005 basic crossfire convertible (black) at an auction about a month ago. She's a beauty inside and out, but I'm running into an issue with my windshield wipers. At first they didn't work at all-- I quickly realized that it was missing the fuse so I bought one and plugged it in. The problem now is that when I turn the key so the car power comes on, the wipers turn on by themselves even with the wiper switch in the off position. If I play with the switch they eventually will shut off but typically when they're only halfway down the windshield. I have no idea what is causing this. I thought maybe the switch was sticking so I bought some silicone lubricant and sprayed it into the small areas I could and worked it in, but it didn't make a difference. Any thoughts?
When wipers get to the park position they hit a switch inside the motor body, if there is no power in that switch the wipers stop, if there is power they keep going. basically there are two switches, no power to the first switch means they stop if there is power then there is power to the other keep going switch.
There is a problem with the internal switches. That is why they only stop when the fuse is out or the switches work intermittently. I would say a new motor is needed or you can dismantle the wiper motor and try and fix the problem, you would see how they work anyway, quite clever and simple.
If I remember correctly there was a long court case in the '60s or '70s when the inventor figured his idea had been stolen from him, he won and got millions.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
When wipers get to the park position they hit a switch inside the motor body, if there is no power in that switch the wipers stop, if there is power they keep going. basically there are two switches, no power to the first switch means they stop if there is power then there is power to the other keep going switch.
There is a problem with the internal switches. That is why they only stop when the fuse is out or the switches work intermittently. I would say a new motor is needed or you can dismantle the wiper motor and try and fix the problem, you would see how they work anyway, quite clever and simple.
If I remember correctly there was a long court case in the '60s or '70s when the inventor figured his idea had been stolen from him, he won and got millions.

See what I mean 🤗 I told you he would know.