Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Half of the dash warning lights suddenly put along with the speedometer

Old 09-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half of the dash warning lights suddenly put along with the speedometer

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me. Was just coming home today from a 50 mile trip, and while slowing down for a traffic light, the speedometer and odometer suddenly stopped working. In addition, the rear spoiler would not retract, the ABS, BAS/ESP light came on, along with the brake wear indicator light. (Brakes were recently checked and are good). The check engine light did not come on, but the car defaulted to the limp/safety mode for the remaining 10-15 miles home.

The headlights, wipers & turn signals continue to work, but the stop lights don't. I parked the car on the front lawn just in case it would not restart after turning it off. It did not restart and it is locked in Park, so I can't even push it. I disconnected the battery hoping to reset the computer. That did not work either. Unfortunately, I don't have a code reader, so have no idea of what the problem is. The car has only 51,800 miles on it. I thought the problem may be in the ignition switch, because twice I noticed a delay after turning the key. Can anyone help me on this one? Thanks

Last edited by Tcrit51; 09-25-2017 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 09-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Default Re: Half of the dash warning lights suddenly put along with the speedometer

Read this post:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ps-lights.html
A lot of the same problems I had, but you have even more. Still might be a good place to start.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Half of the dash warning lights suddenly put along with the speedometer

Beat me to it!!

I've refurbished a few relay control modules (RCM) with many of the symptoms you have.
If you are able, open the RCM, turn the key to the ON position and check that relays 2 & 3 are energized. Thinking the traction control relay is bad.

The following users liked this post:
RobertoGM (04-17-2021)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:35 PM

After 4.5 hours, I tried to restart. The first time, it did nothing, however the next time I turned the key it started as if nothing was wrong. Started it 5 more times, and it started flawlessly as though nothing had ever been wrong - no warning lights, nothing. Almost sounds like the crank sensor might be bad?? At least now, I can, hopefully, drive it to the mechanic to check for error codes. I think you might also be right about the traction control sensor. Will check into that as well. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:50 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

If when you attempt to start the car and NOTHING happens (no crank) that is generally the RCM. Mixed with your other symptoms that leads to the RCM.

If when you attempt to start and the engine cranks (turns over) that usually points to the crankshaft position sensor. Of course that doesn't help with all of your other symptoms.

Check for codes. The CPS can give a code. The RCM doesn't.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The first thing every Crossfire owner should do is buy an inexpensive OBDII reader from Harbor Freight. Worth it's weight in gold.

h

Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
Beat me to it!!

I've refurbished a few relay control modules (RCM) with many of the symptoms you have.
If you are able, open the RCM, turn the key to the ON position and check that relays 2 & 3 are energized. Thinking the traction control relay is bad.

That photo is obsolete and has been replaced.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:09 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
The first thing every Crossfire owner should do is buy an inexpensive OBDII reader
h
Since I already had 2 scan tools, the first things I bought were a used and tested RCM and a CPS to keep in the car. It would have been nice to have an extra RCM to plug in while the car was giving errors. If it still acted up, that is one thing eliminated.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Beat me to it!!

Thank you so much, thanks to your post I solve the problem