Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Demisting...

Old 09-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Demisting...

Ok,

I really haven't used uses the 'fire much but have noticed two issues and a 3rd question.

Firstly, car mists up unless I have air con switch on (any temp) but minute I turn it off car mists up...any thoughts? Suggestions?

Secondly, the petrol cap/area is full of water when it rains. I assume it's a blocked drain. Easiet way to drain and clear? Is there a list of drains for the car in general?

And finally I was considering replacing the stereo. Seems there are two types of ISO leads available; non amplified and amplified. How do you which one you need?

Old 09-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Demisting......

Let me give this a shot. Humidity is usually the cause for the windshield, misting (fogging) up. The door that operates ,to bring in fresh air may be stuck. It on the passengers side under the glovebox. Access to it an the cabin air filter is thur the panel there. Have you noticed any dampness in the passenger floorboard. The filter being wet would also cause condensation, on the windshield. Now for the drains. There a 3 under the cover (cowl) where the windshield wipers are. If they are clogged, water is going to wreak havoc on a lot of vital components. At the fuel door, in the bottom left corner is the drain for that area , it runs out behind the wheel, at your foot. If you have a coupe, under the spoiler are 2 more that run out above the license plate. A small gauge ,shielded piece of wire ,run down the tubes may work to unstop them if it only leaves. A shop vac , may be used to suck or blow,( dooooon't say it) to dislodge debris. My suggestions are what I do. If you attempt this method be careful not to break the rubber used as the drain tubes.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:36 PM

Superstar. I'll have a proper look over the weekend and see what is happening with drains, water etc and the demisting suggestion. I'll look for any water penetration

Old 09-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Let me give this a shot. Humidity is usually the cause for the windshield, misting (fogging) up. The door that operates ,to bring in fresh air may be stuck. It on the passengers side under the glovebox. Access to it an the cabin air filter is thur the panel there. Have you noticed any dampness in the passenger floorboard. The filter being wet would also cause condensation, on the windshield. Now for the drains. There a 3 under the cover (cowl) where the windshield wipers are. If they are clogged, water is going to wreak havoc on a lot of vital components. At the fuel door, in the bottom left corner is the drain for that area , it runs out behind the wheel, at your foot. If you have a coupe, under the spoiler are 2 more that run out above the license plate. A small gauge ,shielded piece of wire ,run down the tubes may work to unstop them if it only leaves. A shop vac , may be used to suck or blow,( dooooon't say it) to dislodge debris. My suggestions are what I do. If you attempt this method be careful not to break the rubber used as the drain tubes.
I think there are actually four drains, one at each end and two in the middle.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Cheers for this. I haven't had a look yet but will. The misting is a total pain though haven't been out much in the 'fire.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:40 AM
Default Re: Demisting...

OK so a year later and I haven't bothered about sorting. Off the next 10 days so going to set about finding out why I have constant demisting issues. Windows only stay clear if the air con is on. Is there any type of solution to put down the scuttle drains that will clear it, without destroying the rubbers?

Old 07-31-2018, 11:39 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Quit sweating so much and relax and enjoy the ride

Where I live is constant high humidity and I have never seen this issue, how is the humidity there in Scotland ?

Old 07-31-2018, 11:44 AM

As soon as it’s cold and/damp outside it’s a nightmare. Totally pain. Constantly having AC blower blaring to keep them clear.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:53 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Demisting...

I have had the same problem on my durango and found that the ac was holding water in the pan. Overnight the cool window fogged up llike crazy.. The ac drain was clogged and I blew thru it to clear it out. If you dont use the ac the problem is not there as the pan dries out over time - - - but that is a week of more min.

Are you parking with the nose up hill by any chance??? That causes the drain to hold more, enjoy. WDY

Old 07-31-2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
I have had the same problem on my durango and found that the ac was holding water in the pan. Overnight the cool window fogged up llike crazy.. The ac drain was clogged and I blew thru it to clear it out. If you dont use the ac the problem is not there as the pan dries out over time - - - but that is a week of more min.

Are you parking with the nose up hill by any chance??? That causes the drain to hold more, enjoy. WDY
parking flat. Mists up whilst driving. Turn ac on and it clears. Back off again and it’s mists up.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:14 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Demisting...

Still suspect the clogged drain. Have you had to add radiator fluid?? THinking here it could be core leaking in heater. WW

Old 08-01-2018, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by waldig
Still suspect the clogged drain. Have you had to add radiator fluid?? THinking here it could be core leaking in heater. WW
no radiator fluid top up. No overheating issues. I’ll need to spend some time trying to clear the drains.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one more thing to add to my to do list.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:53 AM

Should have stated from the start....Misty windows when it’s raining! Dry days no problem........does that change people’s ideals for potential causes?

Old 08-15-2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by leggy
Should have stated from the start....Misty windows when it’s raining! Dry days no problem........does that change people’s ideals for potential causes?

My car does it sometimes, I blame cool moist air coming from the outside, passing through the vents and hitting a cold windshield.
I have had a heater core leak and you can smell the rad coolant.
Tske off the cowel and get rid of the crap under there and check and clean the drains as required.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

My car does it sometimes, I blame cool moist air coming from the outside, passing through the vents and hitting a cold windshield.
I have had a heater core leak and you can smell the rad coolant.
Tske off the cowel and get rid of the crap under there and check and clean the drains as required.
ok will do. Got a child free day tomorrow so planning to have a good look at the drains etc. Any tips on how to clear them completely? Don’t want to risk damaging the plastics/rubber

Old 08-16-2018, 09:26 AM

Aside from damaging them, be sure you don't push them off the plastic nipples, they are almost impossible to get back on.
As to cleaning them out, maybe LOW air pressure or something long and flexible with a drill ?

Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Aside from damaging them, be sure you don't push them off the plastic nipples, they are almost impossible to get back on.
As to cleaning them out, maybe LOW air pressure or something long and flexible with a drill ?
With a drill? Surely you jest Sir.
Run water through them and see if it comes out OK.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:57 AM

As far as drains to check, on my '04 there are also two more other than those previously mentioned, under the car up in the driveshaft tunnel, near the end of the transmission, one for the passenger side and one for the driver. You'll see the small rubbery flappy things ...

Old 08-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Not kidding, did mine that way. Drill was just used to very slowly turn the flexible SS wire that I had put a tiny loop on the end.
Guess I should have been more clear on that