Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

3 tries to start, then no cranking - SKREEM issue??

Old 10-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 tries to start, then no cranking - SKREEM issue??

Hello all - I have a 2004 Crossfire wth 118K on it, I have owed it for a little over 2 years and really love it. BUT need some help...

The other day I pulled the car out of the garage to do some fall cleanup. When I attempted to pull it back into the garage the car cranked 3 time but failed to start, after that it would not crank at all. Tried to jump it no luck, and still did not crank. Well rather then finding this forum and saving $130 for a new starter I was off the the part store got the said starter, and paid my kid a few 6packs to install it for me (he is a BMW mechanic). Anyway after reconnecting the battery the same behavior 3 cranks and then no more. THEN I found this forum, and did the RCM re-solder fix, reconnect the battery, 3 cranks and no start. Found some other posts about people disconnecting both leads of the battery and then things working. Tried that, 3 cranks then nothing. So then found the posts regarding a bad SKREEM, it sound like the 3 cranks then nothing is the typical behavior of a bad SKREEM. Note also the battery in my KeyFob died about a month ago and have not gotten around to replacing it, so can't say if the fob works or not.

This leads me to the question of what my next step should be. Do I have to tow it to the dealer to have them fix? If so what is a reasonable cost? I did see a post that someone was just able to order a new SKREEM from the dealer and install them self, but I am confused about the whole key programming thing and how does that work?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Old 10-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: 3 tries to start, then no cranking - SKREEM issue??

The battery in the fob has no effect on this issue, and it is fer sure a SKREEM issue.
You can get a programmed replacement SKREEM module from Rob at NeedsWings.com for $249.95 :
NeedsWings Performance Products. SKREEM and Antenna Ring

Old 10-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then have your kid, install it. Going price...1 case , import!

Old 10-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: 3 tries to start, then no cranking - SKREEM issue??

Ya you guys have me all figured out!

Old 10-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son just put the electronics from his keys into a new case and this same situation is happening. If we disconnect the battery for a period (~1 min or so), we can crank it again and it runs for a second - we can crank it 3x before it stops cranking.
We thought it may be a fuel pump issue .... he has had the car for 1 month, and this is the first time it has gone under 1/2 tank. We put in a few gallons, and it ran for 3 seconds on the first crank. Cranks 2 & 3 were only 1 sec though..

Could this still be the SKREEM?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by jdorn001
My son just put the electronics from his keys into a new case and this same situation is happening. If we disconnect the battery for a period (~1 min or so), we can crank it again and it runs for a second - we can crank it 3x before it stops cranking.
We thought it may be a fuel pump issue .... he has had the car for 1 month, and this is the first time it has gone under 1/2 tank. We put in a few gallons, and it ran for 3 seconds on the first crank. Cranks 2 & 3 were only 1 sec though..

Could this still be the SKREEM?
Not the SKREEM, not in this case, it's the SON.

It's your son - he did not transplant the RFID chip from the old fob to the new one. Now the SKREEM can't read the chip cause it is not there.

If he already threw the old fob away, contact Rob at Needswings for new key.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Where's the post about removing a certain fuse to bypass the skreem issue?

Old 10-01-2017, 11:54 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Remove fuse 9 apparently.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-question.html

Old 10-02-2017, 01:14 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This is your RFID chip.. the black rectangle.. and a MUST have.. Fuse 9 kills the alarm wailing at you when it decides it's time to go out.. you also lose locking by remote and interior lights.. fuse 35 (may vary by models since other fuses do?) is serving the skreem module..

Old 10-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
I think that this is a falsehood. Removal of it stopped the siren if I recall correctly. Somehow this was interpreted as bypassing the SKREEM.
If defeating the security system was that easy then the car is not protected too well at all.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I had stated this :
The battery in the fob has no effect on this issue, and it is fer sure a SKREEM issue.
BUT ! If the same son rebuilt your fob, then best check for the RFID chip ......