Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

05' Crossfire Won't Crank

Old 01-16-2018, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05' Crossfire Won't Crank

Car been running great and ran fine to store. 30 minutes later came out and started but died. Did same on second try. Third try wouldn't even turn over. Battery good. Thought maybe key fob bad but second fob wouldn't work either. Neither fob would even lock the doors.Towed to Chrysler dealership after Mercedes refused service and Chrysler cannot figure out the problem.Say they don't have the "old technology" to determine problem. Been told by independent mechanic that could be "halo" system in car has failed and will not read the chip in the fobs.
Help!

Old 01-16-2018, 02:36 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: 05' Crossfire Won't Crank

Yes, surely sounds like the infamous SKREEM issue.
There are 3 main causes :
1. lost the RFID chip in the fob ( obviously not YOUR issue )
2. The lead from the key halo ring to the SKREEM module broken.
3. The SKREEM module went belly-up. You can get a new encoded replacement from Rob at needswings.com

Old 01-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your independent mechanic, maybe on the right track. 3 attempts to almost start then nothing at all is a symptom of the SKREEM module going out. Have them remove the battery cables an try it again. If it repeats, the same 3 almost starting , then nothing tries, you've found the problem. The halo is a ring around where the key is inserted. That excites a chip in the FOB that tells the security module the correct key is in it.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

have your mechanic call me, I have the medicine for you

Old 01-16-2018, 03:37 PM

RCM problem not likely?

Old 01-16-2018, 04:13 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by boblaw
RCM problem not likely?
Not likely with the symptoms described.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 05' Crossfire turns over but will not start

My 05 coupe turns over but will not start I move the shift lever in the park position or move it to neutral and it will start.
I believe its the neutral safety switch but where is it located and how do I replace it?????
thanks
any info will be greatly appreciated.
Steps
ponte vedra fl

stluty@yahoo.com
203 733 0903

Old 01-18-2018, 02:59 PM

Well I took Rob's advice and pulled the negative terminal from the battery, waited a minute, hooked it back up and restarted the car to see if the initial starting symptoms would repeat. Well the car cranked right up and I drove it away from the Chrysler dealership where it had been sitting for 3 weeks where not a person from that dealership had a clue how to fix it! Now the only thing I can guess is that the SKREEM module must be going bad or something is wrong with both my key fobs. My independent mechanic told me that before it was towed to the Chrysler dealership he had unhooked the battery while checking to see if the RCM was problematic and after he had hooked it back up the car wouldn't start.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Would wager that there is a trouble code set that will point to the problem but need someone with a scan tool that can scan a Mercedes R170 (16 pin).

Find an indy who can read merc codes and you have found your car's new best friend.

Steps: Sounds like you are North of St. Augustine so about 100 miles from here. If you have an automatic, it is only supposed to start in Park or Neutral or do you mean you push the lever and it starts ?

Last edited by Padgett; 01-18-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:14 PM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: 05' Crossfire turns over but will not start

Originally Posted by steps
My 05 coupe turns over but will not start I move the shift lever in the park position or move it to neutral and it will start.
I believe its the neutral safety switch but where is it located and how do I replace it?????
thanks
any info will be greatly appreciated.
Steps
ponte vedra fl

stluty@yahoo.com
203 733 0903
See the attached pdf.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Doc3.pdf (214.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-22-2018, 05:10 PM

Only code was car stuck in reverse gear which wasn't the case. Mechanic cleared code. Car starting and running fine now but concerned could get stuck on the road sometime in future. Rob said unlikely SKREEM module would be intermittently going bad and to run codes like the post above advised..What else should I do?

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Make sure that the battery ground cable is not loose. That happened to me and it took two trips to the Chrysler dealer and a few hundred dollars to figure that out.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Received 364 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by ed1clark
Make sure that the battery ground cable is not loose. That happened to me and it took two trips to the Chrysler dealer and a few hundred dollars to figure that out.

Said before, saying again... NEVER go to a dealership!

Old 02-02-2018, 01:15 PM

Thanks for all the help. Battery connections tight. Car still starting and running fine but concerned I could get stranded again if I take it too far from home. Don't know what else to do?

Old 02-13-2018, 10:58 AM

To boblaw, I had the same problem. Turned out to be a loose battery ground cable. Simple fix.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:18 PM

Please help again. Guys, it been awhile. Drove my 2005 Crossfire to the store today after it had been sitting about 2 months while I was outside the U.S. On the drive to the store heard what sound like water going back and forth in the trunk area. Came out of store try to start car but nothing NO CRANK, NO FIRE. Dash lights, radio etc. all working the spoiler is up and will not go down and I hear some of the relays when I turn the key the run but no crank. Checked the battery and the ground wire appear to be good also found car will not shift out of park to neutral so had to use the multi tool to get the car out of park just to tow home.
I get no code when using a OBD 11 Can Code Reader. I have again solder the 3 contact pins of the RCM and I have made an attempt to pull everything out of the trunk but I am stopped at the 2 soft shaped panels that as it appears will only come out if you break them so at this point I have stopped looking for the lock out pump or anything that could now be wet causing the lock out and NO CRANK, NO START for my Crossfire. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Midwest911

Old 03-24-2018, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by midwest911
Please help again. Guys, it been awhile. Drove my 2005 Crossfire to the store today after it had been sitting about 2 months while I was outside the U.S. On the drive to the store heard what sound like water going back and forth in the trunk area. Came out of store try to start car but nothing NO CRANK, NO FIRE. Dash lights, radio etc. all working the spoiler is up and will not go down and I hear some of the relays when I turn the key the run but no crank. Checked the battery and the ground wire appear to be good also found car will not shift out of park to neutral so had to use the multi tool to get the car out of park just to tow home.
I get no code when using a OBD 11 Can Code Reader. I have again solder the 3 contact pins of the RCM and I have made an attempt to pull everything out of the trunk but I am stopped at the 2 soft shaped panels that as it appears will only come out if you break them so at this point I have stopped looking for the lock out pump or anything that could now be wet causing the lock out and NO CRANK, NO START for my Crossfire. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Midwest911
Putting water in the trunk and taking your goldfish for a little trip is not advised.��
Take out the trunk mats and look for water in the passenger side well under the foam.
I hope the rear wheels did not turn when you towed it otherwise you’ll have even worse woes.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-24-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:57 PM

Thanks onehundred80, the tow truck was a flat bed which the Crossfire was pulled up on the bed but was took off the tow truck at the top of my driveway without rolling back off the truck. Now going to get into the trunk again by removing everything on the passenger side looking for water and those goldfish.
Wish me luck Thanks

Old 03-24-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by midwest911
Thanks onehundred80, the tow truck was a flat bed which the Crossfire was pulled up on the bed but was took off the tow truck at the top of my driveway without rolling back off the truck. Now going to get into the trunk again by removing everything on the passenger side looking for water and those goldfish.
Wish me luck Thanks
You used the word TOW which scared me.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:35 AM

I have removed the mats down to the foam panels which have cut outs for the jack on the driver side. I do not see away to remove the foam cut outs when pulled they only come up so far and no more, pulling harder it appears will break the foam panel into parts. Is it another way to remove the form panel in the trunk or get to the system that has locked the car from cranking and starting. Thanks for any help I need it.

Quick Reply: 05' Crossfire Won't Crank