Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Help!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

Monday I was driving home from work and almost every notification light on my dash began flashing on/off, speedometer went berserk, and I lost speed. I was close to home and was able to make it into my garage. Because I had an issue with it starting a few weeks earlier (battery and alternator passed test), I knew I should have it towed to a mechanic the next morning. That was yesterday. Today they just called me with their assessment. They said the negative battery wire is bad and needs replaced - $130.00. No biggie. But then they hit me with this: They claim the "shifter control module" is bad, is backordered by 7 days, and costs $3000.00. I told him I would return his call after I caught my breath. I then did some research online and believek I found the part for substantially cheaper. When I called him he said they don't like to install third-party options and be responsible for warrantying them but would ask his owner and get back to me. I'm awaiting his call now.

Any help, perspective, or links to this part is greatly appreciated. I'm looking at dropping close to $3600.00 with this.

I drive a 2005 Crossfire Roadster. It has only 54k miles and has never broken down until today. Only modifications I've made were to replace the in-dash CD players with an Alpine and replace the sub woofers approximately 12 months ago.

EDIT: He just returned my call and said the following: "The shifter lever comes with a module and interlock assembly. And a vacuum lock is also required. Find those parts and we'll install them for you."

Any idea where I can find these parts?

Last edited by asusundevils23; 03-14-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Help!

A negative battery cable is under $10, all it requires is a 10 MM open end wrench and about 5 minutes to install :

As to the " shifter control module", he either means the assembly with the actual shift **** on it ( which has NO vacuum connected to it ), or the TCM ( transmission control module ) which also has no vacuum connection and very seldom goes bad.

I would recommend YOU replace the negative battery cable, make sure you wire brush the connection point on the right fender, and then see what you have.

( If that fixes everything, I'll take 20% of the $3000 as a consultation fee ) - only kidding.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 03-14-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by asusundevils23
Monday I was driving home from work and almost every notification light on my dash began flashing on/off, speedometer went berserk, and I lost speed. I was close to home and was able to make it into my garage. Because I had an issue with it starting a few weeks earlier (battery and alternator passed test), I knew I should have it towed to a mechanic the next morning. That was yesterday. Today they just called me with their assessment. They said the negative battery wire is bad and needs replaced - $130.00. No biggie. But then they hit me with this: They claim the "shifter control module" is bad, is backordered by 7 days, and costs $3000.00. I told him I would return his call after I caught my breath. I then did some research online and believek I found the part for substantially cheaper. When I called him he said they don't like to install third-party options and be responsible for warrantying them but would ask his owner and get back to me. I'm awaiting his call now.

Any help, perspective, or links to this part is greatly appreciated. I'm looking at dropping close to $3600.00 with this.

I drive a 2005 Crossfire Roadster. It has only 54k miles and has never broken down until today. Only modifications I've made were to replace the in-dash CD players with an Alpine and replace the sub woofers approximately 12 months ago.

EDIT: He just returned my call and said the following: "The shifter lever comes with a module and interlock assembly. And a vacuum lock is also required. Find those parts and we'll install them for you."

Any idea where I can find these parts?
How was the car towed?

Old 03-14-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
How was the car towed?
The tow truck driver found the manual release button located just below the shift handle, pushed it, and simultaneously was able to release it out of park and move it into neutral.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
A negative battery cable is under $10, all it requires is a 10 MM open end wrench and about 5 minutes to install :

As to the " shifter control module", he either means the assembly with the actual shift **** on it ( which has NO vacuum connected to it ), or the TCM ( transmission control module ) which also has no vacuum connection and very seldom goes bad.

I would recommend YOU replace the negative battery cable, make sure you wire brush the connection point on the right fender, and then see what you have.

( If that fixes everything, I'll take 20% of the $3000 as a consultation fee ) - only kidding.
Well, it is already at the shop so I would have to they it towed back to my home. I found a used shift assembly online at eBay for 179.00​​ so am going to let them install it. Kinda pissed they would charge me 130.00 to replace that negative wire. I am not very mechanically inclined so am at the mercy of mechanics. After this episode, I'm going to remember to visit here first and force myself to at least try to perform the work.

What I neglected to mention in my original post was that on two recent occasions I placed a large cup of ice water next to and against the shift handle and forgot about it. When I returned I noticed the sweat from the cup had dripped into the assembly. This was just 1-2 day prior to everything in my dash going berserk and my shift handle getting stuck in Park. I am now wondering if that is the culprit.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

Nonsense, water and electronics go together like peanut butter and jelly. If you pour water into your computer, it makes it run faster.

$130 to replace a cable that I replaced in less than five minutes? At $10 for the part, care to calculate the hourly rate you are paying?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 PM

The tow truck driver found the manual release button located just below the shift handle, pushed it, and simultaneously was able to release it out of park and move it into neutral.
That does not explain how it was towed, on a flat bed or on a hook or ......?

Old 03-14-2018, 11:39 PM

That does not explain how it was towed, on a flat bed or on a hook or ......?
sorry, on a flatbed

Old 03-14-2018, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Nonsense, water and electronics go together like peanut butter and jelly. If you pour water into your computer, it makes it run faster.

$130 to replace a cable that I replaced in less than five minutes? At $10 for the part, care to calculate the hourly rate you are paying?
It's obvious the mechanic is screwing me on the replacement of that cable. I'm thinking of calling him tomorrow and telling him to forego it; that is provided he has yet to perform the work.

The shift assembly I purchased from eBay isn't scheduled to arrive until Monday so I'm hoping their work has been limited to just testing.

I'm still curious as to why the guy on the phone today told me to make sure I purchase the full shift assembly and a "vacuum lock?" I'm beginning to question if I'm being set up for a big screw job.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

One should always walk in to a dealer assuming you are about to be screwed.
The ONLY vacuum in that area is on the roadsters and it goes to the console lid lock. nothing to do with the shifter.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:13 AM

It's obvious the mechanic is screwing me on the replacement of that cable. I'm thinking of calling him tomorrow and telling him to forego it; that is provided he has yet to perform the work.

The shift assembly I purchased from eBay isn't scheduled to arrive until Monday so I'm hoping their work has been limited to just testing.

I'm still curious as to why the guy on the phone today told me to make sure I purchase the full shift assembly and a "vacuum lock?" I'm beginning to question if I'm being set up for a big screw job.
Get it in writing, what is he going to replace, the name and the price breakdown. Also get him to show you where the parts are precisely.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get it in writing, what is he going to replace, the name and the price breakdown. Also get him to show you where the parts are precisely.
Or, they'll just throw (expensive) parts at it, till they give up or something sticks...

Old 03-15-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
One should always walk in to a dealer assuming you are about to be screwed.
The ONLY vacuum in that area is on the roadsters and it goes to the console lid lock. nothing to do with the shifter.
I own the 2006 roadster. Is there any reason why the mechanic keeps mentioning that that I need a "vacuum lock?"

Forgive my ignorance but what is the console lid lock and what function does it serve?

Old 03-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I own the 2006 roadster. Is there any reason why the mechanic keeps mentioning that that I need a "vacuum lock?"

Forgive my ignorance but what is the console lid lock and what function does it serve?
It is exactly what it sounds like.. all locks are vacuum operated .. and there is one on the center console.. helps keep honest people honest when you leave the top down and lock the car..

Old 03-15-2018, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
It is exactly what it sounds like.. all locks are vacuum operated .. and there is one on the center console.. helps keep honest people honest when you leave the top down and lock the car..
Is it possible that while the mechanic was removing the center console to check the issue behind my shift *** being stuck in Park, he damaged that lock and is trying to trick me into believing it is somehow integrated with the shift assembly?

Last edited by asusundevils23; 03-15-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Is it possible that while the mechanic was removing the center console to check the issue behind my shift *** being stuck in Park, he damaged that lock and is trying to trick me into believing it is somehow integrated with the shift assembly?

Good possibility!

Old 03-16-2018, 12:13 AM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

It’s easy to break the lid lock. I broke mine the first time I took the console apart. True be told, I was trying to remove the yellow hose from the lid lock. I forced it. You know the rest....

It would appear as though you might be getting charged for someone’s education, On your car.

The shifter and water hmmm that could be the culprit.

From what you’ve described, other than the negative cable, there is no work they can complete without any other parts.

Download the service manual. You would be surprised how easy a lot of this stuff is to do. Super rewarding too

Old 03-16-2018, 08:21 AM

I forgot to add that you should specify that all replaced parts should be kept and shown to you. Knew a guy that had the car at home prior to the repair appointment and he marked and photographed them. Guess what? Some of the replaced parts he was shown later did not have the marks on them, they were still on the car. They did appear on the bill though.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

I forgot to add that you should specify that all replaced parts should be kept and shown to you. Knew a guy that had the car at home prior to the repair appointment and he marked and photographed them. Guess what? Some of the replaced parts he was shown later did not have the marks on them, they were still on the car. They did appear on the bill though.
Doesn't that make you SICK? What happened to character?

Some people don't understand why I fight taking the car anywhere. I don't understand why they don't understand.

Just a few miles from me is "Glover's Garage" a company run by brothers and sons, family only - wonderful place and totally honest. Sometimes I think they are the only ones in the country.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by UrbanE
It’s easy to break the lid lock. I broke mine the first time I took the console apart. True be told, I was trying to remove the yellow hose from the lid lock. I forced it. You know the rest....

It would appear as though you might be getting charged for someone’s education, On your car.

The shifter and water hmmm that could be the culprit.

From what you’ve described, other than the negative cable, there is no work they can complete without any other parts.

Download the service manual. You would be surprised how easy a lot of this stuff is to do. Super rewarding too
Again, forgive my ignorance.

If the lid lock in question is related to the storage compartment integrated as part of the center console, I am confused why there is a "yellow hose." When I access it, there is what feels like a lever. I simply pull up on it and the compartment's lid opens. And when it closes I hear a click sound indicating it's latched closed. I don't understand what purpose a hose would serve.

The shifter assembly is on schedule to arrive on Monday. When I drop it off at the mechanic, should I ask to see my car and the work they've done, thus far? They claim to have removed the entire center console during their initial diagnosis. If they broke that lid lock, how do you suggest I approach them? Note: This is my first major repair on my 2006 crossfire. I'm the original owner and have been blessed to not have to deal with mechanics for over a decade. Just looking for the best way to engage what may be an individual trying to expoit me.

Last edited by asusundevils23; 03-16-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Help!