Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Bulb Failure Indicator

Old 06-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb Failure Indicator

A short time ago, the dashboard bulb failure indicator light came on. The passenger side brake light bulb had loosened and dislodged. Once replaced the indicator went off. When it happened again, the bulb was replaced, looked like a faulty pin on the bulb. Since then (not sure if the two things are connected) the dashboard indicator comes on and goes off at varying intervals (sometimes the same day, sometimes after a few days), but when checked all the lights (interior and exterior) are working. Any thoughts? Is it maybe a dashboard problem as opposed to the lights? Help appreciated - garage is struggling to find the problem to fix.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Re: Bulb Failure Indicator

Originally Posted by SKW2962
A short time ago, the dashboard bulb failure indicator light came on. The passenger side brake light bulb had loosened and dislodged. Once replaced the indicator went off. When it happened again, the bulb was replaced, looked like a faulty pin on the bulb. Since then (not sure if the two things are connected) the dashboard indicator comes on and goes off at varying intervals (sometimes the same day, sometimes after a few days), but when checked all the lights (interior and exterior) are working. Any thoughts? Is it maybe a dashboard problem as opposed to the lights? Help appreciated - garage is struggling to find the problem to fix.
The failed bulbs that turn on the light are only the external lights, so you can stop looking at interior lights.
When the dash light comes on have you stopped and studied the lights for failed bulbs? Two bulbs that are often forgotten about are the rear plate ones.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

And if it comes and goes, remember that the fail light only comes on when an exterior lamp fails to light when it should. What I mean is, if say, a headlamp it bad, the light will only be on when the headlights are on.

BUT, if you step on the brake and a brake light does not work, the light will STAY ON UNTIL THE KEY IS TURNED OFF. It will then light the next time you step on the brake.

I had a time wondering why my "light out" indicator would come on at times, then not at other times. Then I happened to realize it was the driver's side brake light. But MOST of the time, you can figure out what it is by turning all lights off, it should go out. THEN, slowly turn on various lights until the dash light comes on - the last thing you turned on, is, of course, the culprit.

I wonder if the back up lights or turn signals will light it?

Old 06-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Hey Mark - you are no longer on the cool side of Cumming, GA.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Hey Mark - you are no longer on the cool side of Cumming, GA.

Yup he's a southern transplant to Texas .....LOL

Old 06-09-2018, 04:57 AM

Thanks guys, but yes when the light comes on I check all the lights, on and off, all work including the licence plate lights and the dash board light stays on until the ignition is turned off. Then may or may not come on next time the ignition is turned on.

As you suggest as it stays on once lit, the culprit should be a brake light, but they work.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:04 AM

Thanks guys, but yes when the light comes on I check all the lights, on and off, all work including the licence plate lights and the dash board light stays on until the ignition is turned off. Then may or may not come on next time the ignition is turned on.

As you suggest as it stays on once lit, the culprit should be a brake light, but they work.
Have you changed any bulbs lately?

Old 06-09-2018, 08:15 AM

Yes, as per original post, it was the passenger side brake light that was the first problem, but that light is definitely working after the bulb change and when the dashboard light is on.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:25 AM

Yes, as per original post, it was the passenger side brake light that was the first problem, but that light is definitely working after the bulb change and when the dashboard light is on.
Sorry, I forgot that.
Are you positive that you have the correct bulb in place, problems have been caused by the incorrect bulb being used. Some bulbs hit two contacts and use two circuits or can be placed 180 out of position due to the bayonet pins fitting a socket that was not meant for that particular bulb.
I am assuming that the turn signal and brake light use the same bulb which has two filaments, I think that is how it works.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:43 AM

I normally change bulbs, but with the initial problem the garage changed it this last time, so I'll check. But would the brake light work with the wrong bulb? After your last post, my thought was, even though working, change the bulb anyway and see what happens. Will take a few days to get a new one (not easily acquired here in the UK) and I'll let you know the outcome.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:48 AM

I normally change bulbs, but with the initial problem the garage changed it this last time, so I'll check. But would the brake light work with the wrong bulb? After your last post, my thought was, even though working, change the bulb anyway and see what happens. Will take a few days to get a new one (not easily acquired here in the UK) and I'll let you know the outcome.
I am no bright spark when it comes to electrical problems, but I do know that wrong bulbs fit these sockets and cause problems.

Read this thread and see if anything is of use to you. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-09-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I bought these from a UK seller 8 years ago and no problems.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/360359993363...E:L:OU:CA:1123

Old 06-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

I do not believe those are brake light bulbs?

Old 06-09-2018, 01:29 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
I do not believe those are brake light bulbs?
Oops, my bad. Good catch, thanks!

Old 06-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's you an odd one. Indicator keep coming on but ,when i would get out to look, nothing was out. Was picking the boss up for dinner one night, as i pulled in ,she said "your headlight is out". Got out to look , closed the door, it wasn't out. When i would close the door ,it provided it just enough of a jolt to reground or make the connection. I thought I was going crazy, she said that was beside the point...

Old 06-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Here's you an odd one. Indicator keep coming on but ,when i would get out to look, nothing was out. Was picking the boss up for dinner one night, as i pulled in ,she said "your headlight is out". Got out to look , closed the door, it wasn't out. When i would close the door ,it provided it just enough of a jolt to reground or make the connection. I thought I was going crazy, she said that was beside the point...
I've had a similar thing. First, the indicator light came on...and it was the passenger side brake light. I replaced that. Indicator light went off. Then, it came back on again and it was a headlight bulb intermittently acting up. I just replaced the bulb and got back to normal...at least the car got back to normal.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Hi all,
Sorry for not replying earlier, garage wanted to see the car when the dashboard light was on, so it stayed off for three weeks! Today when it came on I went straight to the garage. Solution seems to be that the brake light "holder" was faulty, loose enough to, for a split second, "disconnect" the brake light and tell the dashboard of the failure, but then go back into position so when you checked, the brake light was working.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

Thank you for sharing the solution, so many do not !!!