Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Battery disconnect

Old 06-12-2018, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Battery disconnect

I'm sure this topic has been discussed in the past, however in doing a search I cannot find the "why" behind disconnecting the negative cable from the the battery helps a key fob that has new batteries in it...

After trying and re-trying several times to get my spare key fob (with a set of brand new batteries installed) to correspond with the car it seems that the very last thing to try before going to a dealership is to disconnect the negative cable on the battery.

How does that help to re-program the fob? Also, would'nt that erase the other fob i have thats working?

Thank you all in advance!

Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Battery disconnect

1) The SKREEM's memory of the unique code in the key FOB is non-volitile, it cannot be 'erased' or reset by removing the battery cable. (At least, in nine years I've never had to reprogram the car to a FOB and Iv'e replace at least three batteries and have disconnected the battery numerous times for various reasons.)

2) And I have changed batteries several (maybe three) times in nine years, never had to resync the FOB. The code in the FOB is hard-coded, even removing the battery from the FOB won't make it go away.

3) The procedure to sync the FOB to the car IS kinda tricky - I understand if you are frustrated.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:25 PM
Smile Re: Battery disconnect

Thank you pizzaguy!
I am not frustrated really.... kinda bummed as well as kinda concerned since I am down to only one key.
I realize its not the end of the world, but this is my very first Crossfire, and I REALLY dig the car.
Just a hiccup. I am thinking of simply ordering a key from NeedsWings. Seems like a lot of folks really like this merchant
and judging by the reviews and guarantee they offer with their replacement keys, it seems like a pretty positive option.

Thank you again!

Old 06-12-2018, 11:56 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

yea, but you SHOULD be able to get it to program. I mean, maybe not, maybe the transmitter is just bad...

Old 06-13-2018, 12:10 AM

You would think it should right?
I mean, old batteries out, new ones in and we should be all set!
Not really! The dash lights up and everything as if it we're going to start.
Turn the key and the engine does nothing. On the other hand, the other fob works perfectly. So maybe after 12 years it's finally bit the dust, but to be fair the little guy still lights up when the lock or unlock buttons are pressed...
The saga continues!
Thanks for your help!

Old 06-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Moeron
You would think it should right?
I mean, old batteries out, new ones in and we should be all set!
Not really! The dash lights up and everything as if it we're going to start.
Turn the key and the engine does nothing. On the other hand, the other fob works perfectly. So maybe after 12 years it's finally bit the dust, but to be fair the little guy still lights up when the lock or unlock buttons are pressed...
The saga continues!
Thanks for your help!
I have to ask, did it ever work?
You say you are new to the Crossfire, maybe this key never did work on your car.
If it was not originally for your car it would still flash red as that means the batteries in it are good.

Maybe you should not listen to what I say as I am in Canada and we rank way behind North Korea and Russia. The leaders of those countries are admired by your President and our leader is a back stabbing rat.
Better red than dead I guess.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-13-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 AM

That's a very good question! The extra fob was kinda beat up... Perhaps it never did work!
I am going to order another from NeedsWings. It was simply a temporary bummer....
Then again, the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to ask, "why then can the key open the ignition"?.... I'm STILL rather perplexed!

P.S. and regardless of what this current president says, Canada is still a great country! (And my vote went towards Hillary though I'm still stuck in the Obama era which went by SO quickly)

Last edited by Moeron; 06-13-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Adding a comment.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Talking Re: Battery disconnect

Originally Posted by Moeron
That's a very good question! The extra fob was kinda beat up... Perhaps it never did work!
I am going to order another from NeedsWings. It was simply a temporary bummer....
Then again, the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to ask, "why then can the key open the ignition"?.... I'm STILL rather perplexed!

P.S. and regardless of what this current president says, Canada is still a great country! (And my vote went towards Hillary though I'm still stuck in the Obama era which went by SO quickly)
I am a bit confused, you say the key opens the ignition, mention disconnecting the battery and the engine not doing anything.
Do you mean it does nothing after you have tried to start the car three times and then nothing happens?
That would occur if the wrong chip was in the fob and never worked on this car ever.

Can you say if this is what you mean in your next post.