Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

spoiler up, no Speedometer, ABS, dash lights

Old 01-16-2019, 08:02 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: spoiler up, no Speedometer, ABS, dash lights

did u read everything,,like you could send your old rcm to thihted1 and 60 ,,he would make it better than either one you have,, the new one will fail ,,,just don't know when,, but when thghted1 repairs the solders and relays it is better than new.. we send him some new ones for his repair,, after i had a new one not work right out of the box ,, i guess if you don't want your old one ,,,send it to me ,,i'll have tighted1 fix it and i will have 2 spares jim

Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am aware thank you.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:40 AM

Like many people are saying, you need a new RCM or Engine Management Relay.

I bought one a few months ago from Redline Auto Parts and saved some $, just make sure you get the correct part number.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you think this is the same exact problem I am having? I have owned my car 14 years with 61K miles now. I fixed all the common or known issues. The RCM is the only thing I didn't have to repair.

It started a few months ago. I keep my car in the garage with a battery tender. I go to start the car and spoiler pops up and dashboard goes nuts. No juice and the engine won't turn. I go and buy a new battery and put it in. The car turns but won't start up. Took 5 minutes of the car turning before it started.

I go to start it two weeks later and everything seems ok.

Two weeks after that I go to start the car and the engine turns but won't start. After a few minutes of trying the engine finally starts and the dashboard starts going crazy. Check engine light is on... etc. After a drive around the neighborhood all the dashboard lights turned off.

A few weeks later I start the car again (this was yesterday). I noticed I don't hear the fuel pump engage before I start the car so I turn key off and back on. Now I hear the fuel pump kick on. I start the car and spoiler pops up with the red light blinking on the button. The ABS light is on with the check engine light. The low brake pad light is on and a few others. Then I start to drive and notice the speedometer needle not working (the other needles are working fine).

Do you guys think it is the RCM? A few months ago when I started to experience these problems that was the first thought that ran through my mind. then I started thinking about bad fuel pumps, camshaft position sensor. It seems more like an electrical issue to me. I was about to give up and bring it to the dealership to have the codes read but i am wondering if I should start with the RCM and take it out myself. The symptoms seem to point to the RCM... do you agree?

Old 01-20-2019, 10:11 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
Do you think this is the same exact problem I am having? I have owned my car 14 years with 61K miles now. I fixed all the common or known issues. The RCM is the only thing I didn't have to repair.

It started a few months ago. I keep my car in the garage with a battery tender. I go to start the car and spoiler pops up and dashboard goes nuts. No juice and the engine won't turn. I go and buy a new battery and put it in. The car turns but won't start up. Took 5 minutes of the car turning before it started.

I go to start it two weeks later and everything seems ok.

Two weeks after that I go to start the car and the engine turns but won't start. After a few minutes of trying the engine finally starts and the dashboard starts going crazy. Check engine light is on... etc. After a drive around the neighborhood all the dashboard lights turned off.

A few weeks later I start the car again (this was yesterday). I noticed I don't hear the fuel pump engage before I start the car so I turn key off and back on. Now I hear the fuel pump kick on. I start the car and spoiler pops up with the red light blinking on the button. The ABS light is on with the check engine light. The low brake pad light is on and a few others. Then I start to drive and notice the speedometer needle not working (the other needles are working fine).

Do you guys think it is the RCM? A few months ago when I started to experience these problems that was the first thought that ran through my mind. then I started thinking about bad fuel pumps, camshaft position sensor. It seems more like an electrical issue to me. I was about to give up and bring it to the dealership to have the codes read but i am wondering if I should start with the RCM and take it out myself. The symptoms seem to point to the RCM... do you agree?
this is why we all carry a spare, if you had a spare you would has your answer a few weeks ago,, so get a new rcm and if it fixes everything (I think it will),, then send yours to tighted1 when you get it back you will have a spare,
,note: even the new ones will fail sooner or later,, they all do ,, tighten1 repairs all relays and redirects some of the wiring. and makes it BETTER than new. jim

Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by amx1397
this is why we all carry a spare, if you had a spare you would has your answer a few weeks ago,, so get a new rcm and if it fixes everything (I think it will),, then send yours to tighted1 when you get it back you will have a spare,
,note: even the new ones will fail sooner or later,, they all do ,, tighten1 repairs all relays and redirects some of the wiring. and makes it BETTER than new. jim
I already send him a private message. I will unplug the battery and take it out tomorrow. Hopefully I don't mess it up or break something else. I am in no rush to get it back because I don't drive the car every day. It sits in the garage. I will take your advice and get mine fixed then pick up a spare. It never hurts to have an extra part! Thanks!

Old 01-20-2019, 12:59 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Here's my regular reply to repair requests:
If you would like me to refurbish your RCM...Send your RCM and $30 (cash, money order, check)
(PayPal to this email address. Use Friends and Family so no fees are taken out):to:
DJ TIGHE3601 Pinnacle CtSierra Vista, AZ 85650 I'll inspect, redo bad solder joints, perform the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o key) and replace the Air Pump relay. I will then test your RCM in one of my cars. Then I mail back the RCM to you via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day). In most cases, I get the RCM back in the mail the day after I receive it so yer looking at about a week total. If you want the package insured please include an additional $5. FYI, In the few years I have been doing this 3 have been lost in the mail.If you ship to me via a method that requires a signature it will extend your waiting time as I will have to go into town to sign for the package.Leave all fuses and plastic cover on RCM.Let me know what symptoms the car had.Please email your address to me also.Or for $50 I will replace all relays (except horn - it never goes bad). You should NEVER have an RCM problem then.NOTE: If your relays are discolored (darker than horn relay) replacing them is a good option to avoid pending relay failures.
tighed1@hotmail.com
DJ

Old 01-20-2019, 01:01 PM

I strongly suggest replacing you RCM. I ordered a new one fI'm the Mercedes Parts Warehouse. $139.00 plus $8.00 shipping. 3 days to my door!

Old 01-21-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Here's my regular reply to repair requests:
If you would like me to refurbish your RCM...Send your RCM and $30 (cash, money order, check)
(PayPal to this email address. Use Friends and Family so no fees are taken out):to:
DJ TIGHE3601 Pinnacle CtSierra Vista, AZ 85650 I'll inspect, redo bad solder joints, perform the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o key) and replace the Air Pump relay. I will then test your RCM in one of my cars. Then I mail back the RCM to you via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day). In most cases, I get the RCM back in the mail the day after I receive it so yer looking at about a week total. If you want the package insured please include an additional $5. FYI, In the few years I have been doing this 3 have been lost in the mail.If you ship to me via a method that requires a signature it will extend your waiting time as I will have to go into town to sign for the package.Leave all fuses and plastic cover on RCM.Let me know what symptoms the car had.Please email your address to me also.Or for $50 I will replace all relays (except horn - it never goes bad). You should NEVER have an RCM problem then.NOTE: If your relays are discolored (darker than horn relay) replacing them is a good option to avoid pending relay failures.
tighed1@hotmail.com
DJ

Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM

Here is another...

Old 01-21-2019, 03:04 PM

Some more...

Old 01-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

You can see the separation on the solder joints in the 1st picture. Need resoldering.
It appears that the 3 middle relays are darker than the 2 outer relays (look at the coils and cases). The 3 middle relays are energized the entire time the car is running and get discolored from the heat they generate.
I've done the basic repair on RCMs only to have them come back later to have one of the other 3 relays replaced. That's why I started offering to replace all of the relays (-horn).

Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 PM

Thanks DJ. I am assuming this will solve my problem with the car not starting and the electronics going haywire. I am putting it back in the sleeve/case and mailing it to you tomorrow. Give it the full treatment so I don’t have this problem again. Take your time. no rush! I don’t need to drive the car anywhere soon and it is resting comfortably in my garage ��

Old 01-31-2019, 10:40 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to DJ for fixing my RCM. I got it back today in the mail and plugged it in. I turned the key and I could hear the fuel pump activate. The car started right up and NO MORE DASH WARNING LIGHTS! The spoiler button was no longer blinking so I was able to put the spoiler back down. I took the car for a test drive and the speedometer was working again. Everything seemed normal! I could be wrong but I think the car may have run better than before. It seemed very responsive to me when I hit the gas.

THANK YOU DJ and thank you to everyone for pointing me in the right direction. When I first started having trouble the RCM was the first thing that went through my mind. It turns out my first guess was the correct answer. It is amazing home something so small could cause such a big problem!

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 01-31-2019 at 10:42 PM.