Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Engine Won’t Crank

Old 07-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Won’t Crank

Hi...I’m picking up a 2004 Coupe (automatic) with 28k miles next week. Apparently the battery was hooked up reverse polarity and the car hasn’t started since (about 6 months). Since then the person who’s been trying to get it running replaced: battery, Relay Control Module, Pulse Module, Alternator, Fuses, high amperage fuses. The car does get power on the dash and the key fob locks/unlocks the car. Also, jumping the starter to test seems okay. No CEL light or stored codes showing with a basic scan tool.

Unfortunately the car will not crank. My research leads me to believe that either the car no longer has drive authorization or is in lockdown due to too many failed attempts at starting....which I hope is a software fix/programming PCM and/or Skreem with a DRBiii. My other thought is the Powertrain Control Module has a repairable issue (I.e., bad diode). I’m assuming since the car doesn’t attempt to crank after disconnecting the battery that the Skreem may still be okay. I will eventually replace the Skreem or buy a spare from Needswings. Disconnecting the battery doesn’t produce the three start/crank typical of a bad Skreem.

Anyways, hoping to get some guidance on what might be bad and in which order/priority should this be approached. I can get parts from another 2004 Coupe recently posted as a part out. I’m also okay with having some spare parts if needed since I also have an SRT and a Limited roadster (extra starter, alternator, RCM, body control module, ignition, etc).

Last edited by Rpaczan; 07-23-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Engine Won’t Crank

"MY" understanding is , the ECM wont lock down , unless its a SKREEM issue..i maybe wrong? Did he try to turn over the engine with the battery connected backwards? Start at the key , with initiated ,does it send power out , tooooo? Sounds like he did the Stealership solution , throw parts at it. You may need to locate an actual DBRlll reader. Sounds like everyone's covered everything other than ECM ,TCU. Following to help , add what you find...

Last edited by Steve Jr; 07-25-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:45 PM

Other than the crank three times then nothing it’s my understanding the ECU can lockout after 40 failed attempts to start. I suspect it’s been over 40 times since the reverse polarity.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The failed 40 attempts are in conjunction with the SKREEM module being bad (that was reported by a member) . I can't find anything that says, this is fact , in the service manual or the Student handbook (I've searched all avenues I can find. At one time it worried me). If someone else has a knowledge of this, that I'm missing ,please chime in. And cant the ECU be repraired by removing the ID chip an installing it into a donor?...

Old 07-26-2018, 09:13 PM

Actually there are several options. If the ECU is not damaged beyond repair then several companies will repair in the $200-300 range. If it’s beyond repair some sell reconditioned (ECUs that have been unlocked and tested/repaired), that runs about $700. Also, there arecompanies that will unlock a used ECU which would allow a DRBiii or Star tool to program VIN, secret pin, etc. While the chip can be removed most companies connect a reader and clone the data writing it back to a remanufactured one. I believe it’s an eprom chip. I also understand the ECU has diodes which are what gets damaged from reverse polarity. My gut feeling tells me the ECU needs to be repaired. I have a dealer running diagnostics to see what they think it is. Hope to know more tomorrow.

Last edited by Rpaczan; 07-26-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:20 PM