Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Xfire Died in Traffic - BAS ESP - no crank

Old 07-17-2018, 01:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Xfire Died in Traffic - BAS ESP - no crank

I have been hearing what I thought to be a weak fuel pump during cranking operations for some time now. I have had a new fuel pump on the shelf waiting for confirmation that it needed replacement. Waiting might have not been a good idea. 95 degree Florida sun, Xfire decides to quit running. only 4 miles from the house. BAS ESP code pops up when she died. I disconnected the battery to clear the code. I happened to have a 10mm spanner in my pocket. I took out the RCM and reconnected all of the connectors and stowed it away. Reconnected the battery I could hear a single click in the rear of the car when I would turn the key to the position that normally activates the pump several times. One time I thought I heard the pump run and went to the start position and the car started and ran, but only for about 4 seconds.
I ended up having it towed home an hour later and put it back in the garage. ... Fuel pump? Have I created other problems by waiting?...This is the black SRT with 156,000. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Re: Xfire Died in Traffic - BAS ESP- no crank

My first guess would be bad RCM.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZERACER
My first guess would be bad RCM.
All of my RCM's have been sent out for resoldering and relay replacement within the past 2 years. Yes, I suppose I could swap out for the known good one to see if that fires off the fuel pump. I'll try that and get back with the results. If the fuel pump relay is burned,and the known good RCM starts the car, it will most likely be that the pump and filter both need servicing I am guessing.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

How long have you owned the car?

How old is the battery?

Have you ever had the RCM resoldered?

Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

You can open the RCM and force the fuel relay closed (wedge something behind the relay arm so contacts are touching).
Then see if she runs. If so, it's the fuel relay.

When I work on RCMs I always replace the air pump relays (PO410 fault), resolder bad joints (Mystery No Start) AND perform the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o the key).

IF there is a known problem with no start and the radiator fan spins up REALLY fast with the key in the ON position, I'd replace the engine control relay.

If there's a problem with the wing being stuck in the UP position, BAS/EAS dash faults, speedometer not working, I replace the traction control relay.

In your case (if bad fuel relay) I replace that relay. So it's possible that I replaced your air pump relay and since the fuel relay has failed.

Because of this possibility I offer to replace all relays, minus horn relay (it never goes bad). Gives me (and the owner) piece of mind knowing I'm not sending out a repaired RCM that will fail again in the future. $50 return shipping included.

tighed1@hotmail.com for details

Old 07-18-2018, 08:10 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
You can open the RCM and force the fuel relay closed (wedge something behind the relay arm so contacts are touching).
Then see if she runs. If so, it's the fuel relay.

When I work on RCMs I always replace the air pump relays (PO410 fault), resolder bad joints (Mystery No Start) AND perform the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o the key).

IF there is a known problem with no start and the radiator fan spins up REALLY fast with the key in the ON position, I'd replace the engine control relay.

If there's a problem with the wing being stuck in the UP position, BAS/EAS dash faults, speedometer not working, I replace the traction control relay.

In your case (if bad fuel relay) I replace that relay. So it's possible that I replaced your air pump relay and since the fuel relay has failed.

Because of this possibility I offer to replace all relays, minus horn relay (it never goes bad). Gives me (and the owner) piece of mind knowing I'm not sending out a repaired RCM that will fail again in the future. $50 return shipping included.

tighed1@hotmail.com for details
You must have one SERIOUS solder sucker, DJ,
That's always where I have a problem trying to remove the old relays.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Forum Regular

When the engine quit, as I was just leaving a light and was up to about 12 mph.,I did notice the fan spin up as I was crossing lanes heading for the shoulder. Its been raining out today and now that it has quit, I am going over into the garage to perform the RCM swap. I'll get back with you DJ for the shipping info because I will most likely be sending it to you and I no longer have it handy....thanks for being there.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Forum Regular

A swapout of the RCM showed that the car would crank and run, so, I'll be boxing it up to send out for full re-hab. I see where it was sent out in 2015 for the basic stuff. I probably still need to change the filter so the pump will not work so hard and pull high amps. I swapped it with the one that has not been sent out from the SSB Roadster.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

Thanks for posting the outcome, so many do not.