Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

CPS code looking for thoughts

Old 07-30-2018, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPS code looking for thoughts

I read the sticky lots of info and lots or rambling (nothing wrong with that) actually looking for more rambling. Had my Xfire for about 4 years, 20,000 miles, (has 60,000 on it now) its an 04. Just died when i took it out for a drive. Ubered home and came back with a friend a couple hours later, its started right up and drove home. Pulled the code, bad CPS. Got replacement (no name from autozone, and yes this is what i am banking is my problem, was the only one in town) put it in tonight and drove about 2 miles and it died. Had my code reader plugged in. Cleared CPS code and it will start immediately, and went about 200 feet and died. I cleared codes, started it and idled for about 10 minutes no issues, no stall. I stuck it in gear and idled for a couple minutes (2 maybe) no problem. I was in high traffic area with to dang many stops to gamble on it dieing.. so I shut it off and sat for about 30 minutes to let it cooled down. Fired it up and drove home no issues. i Idled for about 30 minutes , ever 10 or so sticking it in gear for a minute .. no issues.. no codes..

So the ramble part, I have ordered the Bosch part from amazon.. but if it does not fix, what else? It is absolutely throwing the CPS code each time. When i replaced it the connector was in good shape, no corrosion or ugliness that i could see the wire looked great. I must admit i dreaded the job but it was easy. Only part that was slightly hard was the clip.. but i used a $.99 tool Harbour hook tool, its tiny with a hook on end.. slid it under clip, and kept it so the clip was not engaged and pulled it right out. a 1/4 inch ratchet and 4 inch extension and it was out in about 5 minutes total (including taking he air cleaner off) thanks to all the good info here and Youtube. I did not notice any "guides" other the the bolt to make sure its in correct position.. I know in some position sensors there is a paper spacer.. I am assuming this one is just push in and bolt lines it up and there is no depth adjustment (or did i miss something?) Maybe worrying about to much and the Bosch part will solve. Naturally had the car trouble free for last 4 years, and now I am selling it and its letting me know it doesn't want to leave its heated garage for a new home i guess. Any thought on next step if the Bosch part does the same? I know the Cam PS can cause issues too.. but i feel like if its throwing a Crank PS code that is the problem, replacing other parts to solve that code seems like a bad idea. I knwo the Soilder issues but they seem to only be if it WONT crank, mine cranks all the time it just wont start till i clear the Crank PS code) thanks for listening to my ramble oh and for anybody wondering why i am selling.. love the car, but i have a bad back and need the seat to lay back farther then this car will allow.. something you don't notice when you test drive as the car is so much fun.. but after a year of owning comfort (related to back injury) not car is problem.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts
Default Re: CPS code looking for thoughts

I didn't even bother to read your second paragraph - if you buy a generic crank sensor, the chances are good you will go thru this.

But ordering a sensor was a mistake - you should have ordered two - NEVER drive that car without a spare in the trunk. I ordered my first one almost three years before I actually used it. I ordered another the next day.

Order another one now.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CPS code looking for thoughts

hate threads where there is no follow up. Cheap part instant fail, Bosch part (which was $22 cheaper to boot) solved it. would die in 15 minutes with bad part, with replacement no name part same thing dead in 15 minutes. Bosch part and i have a few hours on it with no issues. thanks for the sticky thread.
one thing might help somebody, get a cheap OBDII reader, if it throws the code you can clear it and it will start instantly. I have heard this is a heat issue, so not sure how much that would help (will most likley die again pretty quick). but for me it kept me from sitting at a stop sign for 20-30 minutes it normally took till it would start again.