Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Need help with Central Locking.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:27 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need help with Central Locking.

First off, the hose that runs to the driver's door is leaking I believe, so when I press the lock/unlock button on the dash the pump starts up and times out after a few seconds and doesn't lock/unlock anything. I think I need to replace the door actuator to fix that issue.

The other issue is when I use the remote to lock/unlock the doors, the pump never comes on at all, but the vehicle lights blink indicating the car's receiving the signal from the remote. I checked the two 20 amp fuses under the hood (#25 and #26), but both looked fine. I swapped them out just in case, but pump still didn't try to startup when using the remote. I don't think it's the pump, since it looks new as did the nice pump I bought from Bob that reacted the same when installed.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Need help with Central Locking.

Originally Posted by grip grip
First off, the hose that runs to the driver's door is leaking I believe, so when I press the lock/unlock button on the dash the pump starts up and times out after a few seconds and doesn't lock/unlock anything. I think I need to replace the door actuator to fix that issue.

The other issue is when I use the remote to lock/unlock the doors, the pump never comes on at all, but the vehicle lights blink indicating the car's receiving the signal from the remote. I checked the two 20 amp fuses under the hood (#25 and #26), but both looked fine. I swapped them out just in case, but pump still didn't try to startup when using the remote. I don't think it's the pump, since it looks new as did the nice pump I bought from Bob that reacted the same when installed.
The common problem with the door not locking is a ruptured hose. Where the hose goes through the rubber corrugated link between the car body and the door, the hose is prone to breaking because the hose is made from cheap material. Replacing the hose from pump to lock is a pain, it involves running the hose alongside the existing hose which for much of the way is wrapped inside a wire harness. The easiest solution is to splice a piece of urethane hose where the brake occurs. Cars that are used in cold weather probably suffer with the hose failure as the material gets brittle in cold temps. Always use urethane material for the hose. I should have just replaced the area that hinges rather than replace the whole trunk lock hose when I had the trunk and hatch without trim. My hose was not broken but I figured how hard can it be.
I thought that the flashing lights were operated by the pump, that pump performs a lot of functions.
Does the passenger door and trunk lock when using the dash button? The gas cap lock only works when using the fob.
I used 3mm inside diameter x 5 mm outside diameter urethane hose.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-06-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

The common problem with the door not locking is a ruptured hose. Where the hose goes through the rubber corrugated link between the car body and the door, the hose is prone to breaking because the hose is made from cheap material. Replacing the hose from pump to lock is a pain, it involves running the hose alongside the existing hose which for much of the way is wrapped inside a wire harness. The easiest solution is to splice a piece of urethane hose where the brake occurs. Cars that are used in cold weather probably suffer with the hose failure as the material gets brittle in cold temps. Always use urethane material for the hose. I should have just replaced the area that hinges rather than replace the whole trunk lock hose when I had the trunk and hatch without trim. My hose was not broken but I figured how hard can it be.
I thought that the flashing lights were operated by the pump, that pump performs a lot of functions.
Does the passenger door and trunk lock when using the dash button? The gas cap lock only works when using the fob.
I used 3mm inside diameter x 5 mm outside diameter urethane hose.

Thanks. I'll take a look for a break at the door hinge. Would be great if I can just patch it there. My old CL65 had a problem with wire breaking in the same spot, and I came close to inspecting the XF yesterday for the same problem but didn't. As for the locking/unlocking, nothing actually locks are unlocking in my car by using the remote or the dash button. The only way to lock/unlock is with the key on the drive's side manually.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:37 AM

Thanks. I'll take a look for a break at the door hinge. Would be great if I can just patch it there. My old CL65 had a problem with wire breaking in the same spot, and I came close to inspecting the XF yesterday for the same problem but didn't. As for the locking/unlocking, nothing actually locks are unlocking in my car by using the remote or the dash button. The only way to lock/unlock is with the key on the drive's side manually.
There is a relay that controls the remote entry, it is in the rear of the under hood fuse box next to the pulse relay.
If the key works to lock everything then the pump has to work, the problem being that the fob signal is not actuating the pump.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-06-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:56 AM

There is a relay that controls the remote entry, it is in the rear of the under hood fuse box next to the pulse relay.
If the key works to lock everything then the pump has to work, the problem being that the fob signal is not actuating the pump.

Thanks. I'll check it out this evening.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 AM

I tested the relay and it seems to be working. Well, it's at least clicking when I press the keyfob. I guess I'll repair the break this weekend in the driver's door and then do some more research on the issue. I wish I'd paid better attention when studying electronics years ago.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Dem electrons are slippery little suckers, hard to hold in place so you can study them

Old 08-09-2018, 03:11 PM

I tested the relay and it seems to be working. Well, it's at least clicking when I press the keyfob. I guess I'll repair the break this weekend in the driver's door and then do some more research on the issue. I wish I'd paid better attention when studying electronics years ago.
So we can say that the lock circuit from the relay is failing to operate the pump.
While the circuit from the dash switch does operate the pump. Is there any power through the contact on the relay, that way you’ll know if the failure is upstream or downstream of the relay.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Dem electrons are slippery little suckers, hard to hold in place so you can study them
Haha

So we can say that the lock circuit from the relay is failing to operate the pump.
While the circuit from the dash switch does operate the pump. Is there any power through the contact on the relay, that way you’ll know if the failure is upstream or downstream of the relay.
Okay, I confirmed the relay is sending out power at the press of the remote. Just have to find the wire at the pump connector at the other end.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 AM

Problem solved. I tracked down a leak in the central locking system to the driver door lock actuator. I replaced it yesterday, but the problem with inoperable keyless entry persisted, and the central locking pump would stop almost immediately when operated from the dash door lock button, versus timing out in a few seconds as before when there was a leak. Anyway, I started checking the fuses again and noticed one was missing. I installed a fuse in the missing slot and the alarm siren started screaming. Apparently the previous owner pulled the fuse for the siren due to a dead battery. While the alarm was screaming I tried the keyless entry and it was working now along with the central locking. I unplugged the siren until I can get a replacement, but keyless entry is now working again in conjunction with the central locking pump. All is good.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:57 AM

Problem solved. I tracked down a leak in the central locking system to the driver door lock actuator. I replaced it yesterday, but the problem with inoperable keyless entry persisted, and the central locking pump would stop almost immediately when operated from the dash door lock button, versus timing out in a few seconds as before when there was a leak. Anyway, I started checking the fuses again and noticed one was missing. I installed a fuse in the missing slot and the alarm siren started screaming. Apparently the previous owner pulled the fuse for the siren due to a dead battery. While the alarm was screaming I tried the keyless entry and it was working now along with the central locking. I unplugged the siren until I can get a replacement, but keyless entry is now working again in conjunction with the central locking pump. All is good.
It is possible that with a leak it took longer for a certain pressure to be reached, this pressure was set to operate the locks as designed.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:47 AM

It is possible that with a leak it took longer for a certain pressure to be reached, this pressure was set to operate the locks as designed.
Yes, the leak was causing the pump to run longer and ultimately time out when target pressure wasn't reached.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:04 PM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:30 PM

Yes, the leak was causing the pump to run longer and ultimately time out when target pressure wasn't reached.
That pump does a lot, controlling many aspects of the cars functions besides the locking, only finding out what else it does when it fails.
Just counting the wires going to the unit shows it does a lot more than provide basic security.
No wonder they cost so much to replace, it is an electro pneumatic wonder.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an interesting issue with the door locks I could use some advice with. When using the key fob to lock / unlock the driver's side door, trunk lid and fuel door lock normally. Passenger side door, nothing. When I try to lock with the dash rocker switch, I hear a motor running but nothing will lock. If already locked, nothing will unlock.

If indeed there could be a break in the pneumatic line going to the passenger door where precisely is the most common location that the line tends to break. Is it inside that accordion style boot between the door and the fender or is it inside the door panel itself. Thanx in advance. I have been chasing this issue off and on most of the summer to no avail.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by TiredRetired
I have an interesting issue with the door locks I could use some advice with. When using the key fob to lock / unlock the driver's side door, trunk lid and fuel door lock normally. Passenger side door, nothing. When I try to lock with the dash rocker switch, I hear a motor running but nothing will lock. If already locked, nothing will unlock.

If indeed there could be a break in the pneumatic line going to the passenger door where precisely is the most common location that the line tends to break. Is it inside that accordion style boot between the door and the fender or is it inside the door panel itself. Thanx in advance. I have been chasing this issue off and on most of the summer to no avail.
Pull the passenger door panel and you'll be able to pinpoint the leak. Fix the leak and then reevaluate.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you,

Old 08-20-2018, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by TiredRetired
Thank you,
You're welcome.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fob will make the lights flash but not open or lock the doors. I hear a faint noise from the rear when I push the dash button.

I have been manually locking and unlocking the doors but I see no way to lock the hatch.

I have been all over the internet and this site and cannot find a similar issue.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that all of the doors lock when I am inside with the key in the ignition.

Quick Reply: Need help with Central Locking.