Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Smoke coming from the a/c vents

Old 09-05-2018, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke coming from the a/c vents

HI again people. I had a problem with my Xfire a few months ago, I turned the car and I had smoke coming out the AC vents, the one in the middle (top of console) and on the left one (driver side). Everything is working fine with the car except a problem with the foglights that are not turning on. I have a spare light module to replace to see if this fix the issue with te foglights. I dissabled the whole thing inside the car (please see pic) because I want to find the problem and also I want to paint the interiors of the car. Did any of you have any idea of what this problem was? By the way, the AC, radio, center console, Air bags sensors, etc. are working correctly, I dont have dash lights pointing or warning me any electric issue, my fear is to use the car and experiment the same problem again, by the way, the situation happened 2 times. Right now Im not using the car because of this and I dont a mechanic in Puerto Rico willing to work the eelectrical problem of the Xfire.

Please any help...

Let me know if you guys have any idea.
2004 Xfire standard limited
thanks

Old 09-05-2018, 12:19 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts
Default Re: Smoke coming from the a/c vents

I've never seen anyone go that far into the dash before!

I also have no clue where the smoke would be coming from. Well, one, there are sensors on the A/C evaporator and heater core that sense the temperatures and feed data to the climate control system.
But these are VERY low current sensors, I can't see the wires shorting and heating enough to smoke.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 AM

Anyway this is something that I can consider...well the dash..lol.. I dont want my car in flames so I prefer to look for this issue and after that I can put everything back together and painted.

thanks man.
Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I've never seen anyone go that far into the dash before!

I also have no clue where the smoke would be coming from. Well, one, there are sensors on the A/C evaporator and heater core that sense the temperatures and feed data to the climate control system.
But these are VERY low current sensors, I can't see the wires shorting and heating enough to smoke.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No blown fuse? It did smell like electrical wires burning, yes? Could it have been condensate vapor from AC or heater core?

Old 09-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

Sometimes high humidity will do that!

Old 09-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by sedavigo@gmail.com
Anyway this is something that I can consider...well the dash..lol.. I dont want my car in flames so I prefer to look for this issue and after that I can put everything back together and painted.

thanks man.
Simple question, did you see smoke or just smell smoke?
If you smelt it only then it could be just oil falling on the exhaust pipes.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

Simple question, did you see smoke or just smell smoke?
If you smelt it only then it could be just oil falling on the exhaust pipes.
well, I saw the smoke coming from the vents. It was like burned cables, I have not found any wires burned. I m going to try to find something related to the A/C cause when I bought the car last year I had problems with the AC giving hot air to one side and cold air to the other side, giving cold air to the passenger and the opposite to the driver. Maybe Im having problems with something related to the AC. Dont know!! 🤔🤔🤔😕😕😕😔😔😔

Old 09-16-2018, 12:30 PM

[QUOTE=dinasrt;911755]No blown fuse? It did smell like electrical wires burning, yes? Could it have been condensate vapor from AC or heater

but if the issue was vapor, the smell was like something burning. Curious thing is that I never had the same problem since the second time and the AC is working fine in all aspects.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
No blown fuse? It did smell like electrical wires burning, yes? Could it have been condensate vapor from AC or heater core?
you know what? Before this problem my foglights were not working so I put some LEDs in there. Maybe I have something burned downthere in the foglight that caused smoke to the vents!?!?! What do you thing?

Old 12-09-2019, 08:17 PM

Well. Finally after more than a year I have replaced the part that was causing the problem...the module that controls the lights was burned..the one on the left of the steering wheel..for some reason it was damaged maybe by a cable ralated to the music equipment or the aftermarket fog lights, but that was done with the previous owner not me. I replace that module and fixed the music equipment, replace the radio and everything was verified by a MB mechanic. I was having problems with the exteriors lights and thus was resolved with the replaced module. After nightmares finding inside parts on ebay I put everything together..also the interior color was changed cause I have the panel doors in the same color. I just have to change seats color..maybe next year. The color was custom made for the car and I put an used module from e bay but practically new. Also I replace the steering wheel with a black one and the broken cup holder was removed. Let me tell you that is basically imposible to put everything back together and not break at least 1 or 2 tabs or some plastic.. it is a living nightmare..I also ordered a few spairs parts just in case. Thank you for your help people. ..let me know any comments good or bad. Still working on a few things.

Blessings.