Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

car won't start and key will not come out of switch

Old 09-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default car won't start and key will not come out of switch

Gentlemen - Have a 05 Limited Coupe and another electrical problem. Yesterday the car started and ran fine. Washed the care and opened the doors to check that water was draining OK from door bottom. Took a small stiff wire and poked the drain holes to be sure. When doing the drivers door, the alarm went off. Finally got that stopped. but the lights were flashing. Started the car to pull it back into the garage. Everything still OK. Today. I backed it outside to apply tire dressing. Went to pull it back in and it won't start and the ignition key will not come out of the ignition switch. The key turns to the start position, but nothing happens. When turning it back to remove it, it turns back to that position but will not come out of the switch.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. I've search, as best as I could, on the forum but can't find a similar problem. Plenty about sticky switch's but not like I have. I'm suspecting it's something to do with the alarm system since that went off yesterday.

Again, any ideas or possible solutions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
jpmlholian@aol.com

Old 09-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: car won't start and key will not come out of switch

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
Gentlemen - Have a 05 Limited Coupe and another electrical problem. Yesterday the car started and ran fine. Washed the care and opened the doors to check that water was draining OK from door bottom. Took a small stiff wire and poked the drain holes to be sure. When doing the drivers door, the alarm went off. Finally got that stopped. but the lights were flashing. Started the car to pull it back into the garage. Everything still OK. Today. I backed it outside to apply tire dressing. Went to pull it back in and it won't start and the ignition key will not come out of the ignition switch. The key turns to the start position, but nothing happens. When turning it back to remove it, it turns back to that position but will not come out of the switch.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. I've search, as best as I could, on the forum but can't find a similar problem. Plenty about sticky switch's but not like I have. I'm suspecting it's something to do with the alarm system since that went off yesterday.

Again, any ideas or possible solutions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
jpmlholian@aol.com
You put the car into park I presume?

Old 09-16-2018, 06:12 PM
Forum Regular

180 - Yes - the car was in park. Good thought, though. You never know!

Jim

Old 09-16-2018, 06:42 PM
Forum Regular

180 - You got me to thinking. So I went out and checked and the gear shift lever was in park. For the heck of it, I moved it all the way down to drive and then back to park. WALLA - now everything works as it should. I can't explain that one. Maybe I didn't have it all the way into park, but I thought I did. Or else it's some other little gremlin that I hope does not come back again.

Thanks for getting me thinking. It worked, I think!

Jim

Old 09-16-2018, 07:05 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

More likely there is enough play in the linkage not to have gone all the way into Park..Key can only be removed in Park so was a clue.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Guy's. Thank goodness I learn something new everyday, particularly on this great website.

Jim

Old 09-16-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
Thanks Guy's. Thank goodness I learn something new everyday, particularly on this great website.

Jim
The cable may be stretched or need some adjustment, I am not sure if that is possible though.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

No cable onehundred but there is a bushing on the linkage where it connects to the transmission, and it should be replaced every 50 to 75000 miles . Mattmiami has them and he will be at the dragon.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
No cable o
nehundred but there is a bushing on the linkage where it connects to the transmission, and it should be replaced every 50 to 75000 miles . Mattmiami has them and he will be at the dragon.
This is the cable, not a linkage. If you fix the sticky ignition you take it off the ignition switch.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:20 AM
Forum Regular

Gentlemen - Thanks again. This is something I will keep in my hard copy files for the Crossfire.

Jim

Old 09-17-2018, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This is the cable, not a linkage. If you fix the sticky ignition you take it off the ignition switch.

this cable is (on auto only) it is to ,,when you push the brake ,it releases the shifter so you can get the tranny out of park, it also lets the key turn,,, it has nothing to do with no going fully into park, so you can remove your key .

Old 09-17-2018, 11:12 AM

this cable is (on auto only) it is to ,,when you push the brake ,it releases the shifter so you can get the tranny out of park, it also lets the key turn,,, it has nothing to do with no going fully into park, so you can remove your key .
I am not going to argue the point, you have it your way.
Everyone else can make up their mind on whether you can push the brake pedal on autos and take the tranny out of park, you cannot.
You have to hit the hidden switch under the shifter cover to do that.
The cable is the only connection between the tranny shifter and the ignition switch.
You cannot remove the key until the shifter is in PARK and the key is in the OFF position.
They key turns a little past the ACC position and goes the rest of the way to OFF when the shifter gets into Park.
The cable is called the Ignition Lock Cable strangely enough.
If this cable was somehow not to spec or the mechanisms at either end faulty I could foresee problems with the key removal.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:23 PM

You are right and I am right, in our shop J S Benz and matt's shop we have had over 100 mercedes with 4 of those being crossfire's (key would not remove when in park) , replaced the bushing on the linkage,,,fixed.
quote: you can push the brake pedal on autos and take the tranny out of park, you cannot. end quote:
when key is in on position you can and only then so yes the cable does release the shifter,, a worn out bushing will (sometimes ) not let the transmission be in the gear showing on the dash , so we are both right.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:00 PM

You are right and I am right, in our shop J S Benz and matt's shop we have had over 100 mercedes with 4 of those being crossfire's (key would not remove when in park) , replaced the bushing on the linkage,,,fixed.
quote: you can push the brake pedal on autos and take the tranny out of park, you cannot. end quote:
when key is in on position you can and only then so yes the cable does release the shifter,, a worn out bushing will (sometimes ) not let the transmission be in the gear showing on the dash , so we are both right.
But only with the key in the ON position,
This thread is about not having the key in the ON, but about getting the key out, and it will only come out in P.
The key has to be turned to the ON position to move the shifter and the cable allows that. It does not allow it to occur in the ACC position.
Both points are right but only one case is relevant on this occasion.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:24 PM

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 09-17-2018, 08:04 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts