Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Car won't start!!

Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start!!

Hello guys!
I'm about as frustrated as a person gets!!! I fixed the sticky key problem a month or so ago (yeah) and just prior to that my car was having issues starting. It was cranking, but not turning over. Well it took me a while to get the sticky key problem fixed because I got sick for about a month but now the car won't start at all!!! Dead! Nothing!!! I read somewhere to make sure the alarm goes off, and it does, so hopefully I didn't mess the antenna up. Someone came and replaced the starter, soldered the RCM, but still NOTHING!!! Any ideas???

Thanks!

​​​​

Old 10-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: Car won't start!!

Originally Posted by SoonersFan
Hello guys!
I'm about as frustrated as a person gets!!! I fixed the sticky key problem a month or so ago (yeah) and just prior to that my car was having issues starting. It was cranking, but not turning over. Well it took me a while to get the sticky key problem fixed because I got sick for about a month but now the car won't start at all!!! Dead! Nothing!!! I read somewhere to make sure the alarm goes off, and it does, so hopefully I didn't mess the antenna up. Someone came and replaced the starter, soldered the RCM, but still NOTHING!!! Any ideas???

Thanks!

​​​​
Dead battery?

Old 10-12-2018, 04:29 PM

I wish it was as easy as that. I replaced the battery in June. However something is slowly draining the battery about every 3 weeks as I need to jump it to get it started. I'm breaking down and having it towed to a mechanic today. I'm living in a domestic violence shelter presently and my ex-fiance who nearly killed me just found out where I am so I'm having to move. I HAVE to have a running car. Praying it's not something major... I have about $400 to my name. 😔

Old 10-13-2018, 10:17 AM

Have the Mechanic find what is causing the battery drain and fix it. Easily said, I know.

This car is not what you need at this point in your life, find a way to swap this for a simple Ford, Honda, Toyota, or something cause this car will break your bank. These cars at the basic level are merely means of travel. Sure they are fun but the fun stops when the dollars are lost on upkeep.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:27 PM

Unfortunately, I know you are right. I'm so in love with this car, it's breaking my heart to think about getting rid of it. I'm waiting on disability to be approved so I can put money with it so I can get a newer, nicer car. OR I was thinking about keeping it and getting a car warranty - is that a bad idea?

My ex-fiance was talking about getting me a new car, then almost killed me in a fit of anger thus my lack of income. I'm just trying to make it for another 6-12 months then I'm whole again. In the meantime... I just want my XF to work again! I love that car! I traded in a 2yr old Mercedes for it!!! They are so unique. I wanted to keep it forever.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

There is no "car warranty" that is going to do you any good. The only warranty I'd buy is one from a dealer and I'm sure Chrysler is not interested in writing a warranty on a car they have written off.
Try pricing a new key (over $600 now) or a new SKREEM module (also over $600 now).

I have had three Crossfires and loved them all. But frankly, the Crossfire is NOT a car for someone who does not do a lot of their own work. These are expensive cars to maintain, unless you are your own service department. I'd be LOST if not for the tech days we had back in Georgia and here in Texas. For these reasons and others, the value of these cars will continue to fall - fine by me, cause I'm about ready for an SRT Roadster.
But again, my Crossfire is not a daily drive, my Ford Ranger is my dependable, go-to ride for everyday use. But the Crossfire is way more fun.

As to getting a "mechanic" to find battery drain - yea, right. Maybe 5% of 'mechanics' know how to use an ammeter or understand even the most basic troubleshooting concepts, when ti comes to electronics or electricity. This is not a problem to do with Crossfires, it is an industry-wide issue.

I have little advice for you, trying to get a 'mechanic' to understand how to find where the current is going has burnt me out over the past nine years of Crossfire ownership. It is time for the industry to train it's people to do their damn jobs. And it's time for "mechanics" to put forth some effort to LEARN their jobs. We don't expect them to learn engineering, but finding where current is flowing is not hard do to. Not at all - if they gave a damn.

I'd trade or sell the car for something economical and reliable. Just dont buy a new car, new cars are for people who can't do math.