Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Another No Start thread

Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another No Start thread

Hi all,
I recently acquired a 04 Crossfire limited in non running condition. I hope I can get some advice from the forum.
When I turn the ignition on dash lights power on, radio, doors, etc, however - the fuel pump will not prime and the starter will not crank. PCM will not communicate via OBD2. Cooling fan will run at full speed (which might be a separate issue).
Previous owner bought a replacement PCM, but did not reprogram it. I plugged the replacement PCM and surprisingly the fuel pump primed and I had the car crank and start for 1 sec. - twice, then no start again - which is the way it is supposed to be, SKREEM is not recognizing the code from PCM.
Then I reprogrammed the replacement PCM with original vehicle data (VIN, security pin), installed it, connected the battery. The car started and ran for 15 -20 seconds just fine, then died. Same situation again - no fuel pump, no crank, PCM not communicating. I would disconnect the battery, touch the leads together for 10 sec, connect it back - still nothing. I left the battery disconnected for 2 days, came back and connected it, car started fine and died 15 seconds later. So if I leave the battery disconnected for a longer time I will be able to get everything working for 15 sec, even if I don't start the car and just turn the ignition on, PCM will communicate for 15 -20 seconds and then nothing..
I have checked the RCM and resoldered ALL spots, took relays apart and checked the contacts, made sure the circuits are closed at the socket pins while 12V is applied to the relay coils.
What could it be?? Is there a security feature that is preventing it from running? What else can be checked?
Thank you.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: Another No Start thread

Originally Posted by Superfragl
Hi all,
I recently acquired a 04 Crossfire limited in non running condition. I hope I can get some advice from the forum.
When I turn the ignition on dash lights power on, radio, doors, etc, however - the fuel pump will not prime and the starter will not crank. PCM will not communicate via OBD2. Cooling fan will run at full speed (which might be a separate issue).
Previous owner bought a replacement PCM, but did not reprogram it. I plugged the replacement PCM and surprisingly the fuel pump primed and I had the car crank and start for 1 sec. - twice, then no start again - which is the way it is supposed to be, SKREEM is not recognizing the code from PCM.
Then I reprogrammed the replacement PCM with original vehicle data (VIN, security pin), installed it, connected the battery. The car started and ran for 15 -20 seconds just fine, then died. Same situation again - no fuel pump, no crank, PCM not communicating. I would disconnect the battery, touch the leads together for 10 sec, connect it back - still nothing. I left the battery disconnected for 2 days, came back and connected it, car started fine and died 15 seconds later. So if I leave the battery disconnected for a longer time I will be able to get everything working for 15 sec, even if I don't start the car and just turn the ignition on, PCM will communicate for 15 -20 seconds and then nothing..
I have checked the RCM and resoldered ALL spots, took relays apart and checked the contacts, made sure the circuits are closed at the socket pins while 12V is applied to the relay coils.
What could it be?? Is there a security feature that is preventing it from running? What else can be checked?
Thank you.
How did you reprogram the PCM?
Where is the PCM located in the car?

Old 11-02-2018, 10:05 AM

I have eeprom programmer - I read the original vehicle PCM eeprom and programmed the replacement one.
There was a thread here on this forum called ECU repair with detailed instructions.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Superfragl
I have eeprom programmer - I read the original vehicle PCM eeprom and programmed the replacement one.
There was a thread here on this forum called ECU repair with detailed instructions.
The start/ nonstart battery disconnect scenario is similar to the SKREEM failure we see so often, can you read the SKREEM?
We need someone that can fix the SKREEM modules as they cost $700 each. A little money maker for the person who can repair them.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:18 AM

Have not tried reading SKREEM. Does not seem like it though, but I cannot be 100% sure.
If my SKREEM is functional - I don`t want to mess with it.
I can try reading a failed unit if anyone has one.

Last edited by Superfragl; 11-02-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

It can also be a bad RCM. A new one runs just over $100.00 or you can send in to be repaired. I would keep a spare anyway because the tend to go bad over time. Do a search on this site for RCM and you will see lots of info.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 AM

I have gone over RCM and did a complete overhaul.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

What I am thinking:
If you have the expertise to program an ECU, your skill level is far above that of all but maybe three of us on here (and none of those three have responded, I'm thinking Josh, Rudy or Rob).
Asking us for help when you are that deep into it is a waste of time.

On the OTHER hand:
You did not post the voltage readings of the engine control relay's output, and much of what you describe makes me question if that output is always present. Why are you looking at a relay closing, but not measuring what is getting from the relay to the ECU?

AND....
"Cooling fan will run at full speed (which might be a separate issue)." Ok, fine, maybe your knowledge is not as extensive as I first thought, just reading a few threads and you would have understood what a "warp speed fan during no crank" means.... It means the ECU is not powering up (no ECR output from the RCM) or the ECU is defective. The FCM will run the fan at high speed ANYTIME the FCM is powered up (by turning on the key) if the ECU is not sending pulses to the FCM. This is an engine protection feature of the FCM - if the FCM is not being told how fast to run the fan, it runs the fat at full speed for the safety of the engine.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 11-03-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
What I am thinking:
If you have the expertise to program an ECU, your skill level is far above that of all but maybe three of us on here (and none of those three have responded, I'm thinking Josh, Rudy or Rob).
Asking us for help when you are that deep into it is a waste of time.

On the OTHER hand:
You did not post the voltage readings of the engine control relay's output, and much of what you describe makes me question if that output is always present. Why are you looking at a relay closing, but not measuring what is getting from the relay to the ECU?

AND....
"Cooling fan will run at full speed (which might be a separate issue)." Ok, fine, maybe your knowledge is not as extensive as I first thought, just reading a few threads and you would have understood what a "warp speed fan during no crank" means.... It means the ECU is not powering up (no ECR output from the RCM) or the ECU is defective. The FCM will run the fan at high speed ANYTIME the FCM is powered up (by turning on the key) if the ECU is not sending pulses to the FCM. This is an engine protection feature of the FCM - if the FCM is not being told how fast to run the fan, it runs the fat at full speed for the safety of the engine.
I think you had better be careful of your choice of words, as it reads it sounds a bit condescending.
This gentleman may be our saviour in times of need and putting a sour taste in his mouth is not to wise.
With his abilities he may be able to lead us out of the wilderness.
Maybe that sounds a bit to biblical than I would want, but you know what I mean.😜

Old 11-03-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
The FCM will run the fan at high speed ANYTIME the FCM is powered up (by turning on the key) if the ECU is not sending pulses to the FCM. This is an engine protection feature of the FCM - if the FCM is not being told how fast to run the fan, it runs the fat at full speed for the safety of the engine.
I am very new to Crossfire, but I can read the wiring diagrams. What ECU sends is a PWM signal, there is no logic in the FCM, no CPU as far as I know. If there is no ground PWM signal is being sent to FCM the fan should not run, unless there is a short to the ground in the wiring or ECU or FCM itself. And that is what factory service manual is saying - to check for ground on the PWM circuit. I did not find any info saying that fan runs 100% to save the engine.
Last night with ignition on (and battery charger hooked up and providing 10A) I tested ALL circuits for +12V I found no issues - ALL modules are getting power and proper voltage. Which leads me to believe it is the PCM internal issue. I will follow up.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:27 PM

A trip to the junkyard and $39 for a used PCM did the trick. Got it programmed with proper VIN and pin code and it is running fine now.
The fan does not run at start anymore.
I only have tire pressure light and traction control lights on. Am I supposed to drive it for a while for lights to Clear?

Old 11-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

If your car has the original TP sensors, chances are one or more of the batteries are dead. James