Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Can a new RCM affect the TPMS?

Old 11-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a new RCM affect the TPMS?

I have a 2004 coupe that now has a TPMS light on that won't stay off. After replacement of the tires in the past, or correcting low tire pressure, the dash light has always gone out. Now when the car is started, the TPMS light comes on as its supposed to, goes out for a few seconds (2-3) but then comes back on solid. The car had its RCM replaced immediately before this issue started. In fact, the light was on when I drove it home. At the time I believed it to be just low tire pressure like it had in the past 11 years of ownership.

The tires all have the Schrader EZ-sensor #33500 installed in them and the tire shop says the sensors are working fine. I took it to a Chrysler dealership in the California central valley who agreed to reset the system but they were unable to. They checked the tire pressures, sensors, and the receiver and said all were working fine but there were error codes that might be keeping it from working. Specifically they found:

P2300 - IC CAN communication is faulty
P2315 - IC CAN message incorrect
P2316 - IC automatic temp control CAN message missing
P2404 - ABS message
P2312 - EngCan message missing

At that point they said they needed more time to resolve. As I hadn't planned to be there all day and the agreed cost was really going to be exceeded with no guarantee of success I left. For the record, the dealership didn't charge me anything as they said they didn't do what I came in for. I immediately talked to my regular mechanic who said he hadn't heard of such a thing before, but he'd need a few hours as well unless I could point him in the right direction.

Has anybody had this experience before?

Old 11-12-2018, 09:42 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Can a new RCM affect the TPMS?

Not aware of any relationship between the RCM and the TPMS. Sounds like a coincidence.

Why was the RCM replaced?

Old 11-12-2018, 11:39 PM

The RCM got replaced after the car died and wouldn't reliably start, And by reliably, I mean frequently it wouldn't start at all. Replacement of the RCM resolved that. I still have the original part. I'm just confused as to why the light comes on, goes out and then comes on and stays on. Its like it initially is working properly and then something erroneously is sending the system a faulty signal or possibly no signal at all maybe.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old Blue, contact Tighed1 to discuss repair of your problem RCM. It's nice to have a spare, and the repair cost is a lot less expensive than a new RCM. You may thank me for this recommendation sometime in the future!

Old 11-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Received 338 Likes on 298 Posts

Probably old TPMS battery's and just a coincidence.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:51 PM

Even though the sensors are less than a year old I thought maybe just one going bad could throw it off, so I had them all checked. Both the tire store that installed the sensors and the Chrysler dealership I went to for the reset afterwards said the sensors were working fine. The dealership did say initially they thought the receiver may be at fault, but then they came back and said it was fine too. They think the error codes reflect a communication problem which prevents the reset. I'm having difficulty locating the P23xx error code(s) on any list I find on the Internet. Is one available? Oh and I did download the info on the RCM repair. So yeah, now I should have a spare. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Using Google the 23XX codes are ignition coil codes and the 2404 is an Evap system fault.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:20 AM

Should have said I had difficulties finding the codes past P23xx. I originally found two lists on the forum up to P20xx; however, after switching back to Goggle like you suggested I found another forum reference to https://obdii.pro/ That site pulls up P2404 with a similar evap error message. But in my original post the dealership said P2404 was an ABS message. I checked all the other error codes against the web site and they too were all different.

It appears the error code messages given to me primarily reflect a communication problem (see original post). So let me ask this, is there OBD code(s) for the TPMS and is there a specific set of codes for the Crossfire at some point or are they all generic?

Old 11-14-2018, 12:21 AM

Sorry correction. " . . . difficulty finding the codes past P20XX."