Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Let’s publicly shame the key and SKREEM culprits?

Old 11-29-2018, 07:49 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Re: Let’s publicly shame the key and SKREEM culprits?

I would have bought one as a spare but the need for a VIN killed that idea, just built a new one from a damaged fob with a broken key. The replacement fob/key was $7. Getting the key cut was more.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:04 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 456 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by zip439
NEEDSWINGS DID LET ALL OF US KNOW!!! A short while back he ran a special price for the SKREEM and plainly said he did not know how much longer these prices would be available from Chrysler! What do you want? All of us were given a heads-up. Go back and check his post >> it is there if you read between the lines. I feel quite certain Needswings did not have the exact date of the price increase/cut off, but he saw it coming and he let us know the best way he could without any more info than you or I have. I wish I could make a more coherent and understandable statement, but there is NO BLAME to be directed at Needswings! He gave us all his best estimate of the situation and those who did not see the warning should not cast stones!
This is exactly right
I was the one who contacted Rob at Needswings and asked if he could run a sale on SKREEM modules shortly after one of these modules failed on the weekend of a group outing in a members Crossfire.
He posted the failure of his SKREEM here and on Facebook in several groups with the video and instructions on how to access the module on our Crossfires and how to replace it.
He was fortunate to already have a spare SKREEM module with him in his trunk.
Rob at Needswings responded to my request quickly and lowered the price and made them available at the lower price for 1 week
He also made the statement that these were likely going to become unavailable at some point and prices would increase before they are gone
He was passing along info he knew and warned the community on his own website

Here is the post made by the member whom the module failed on while attending a GTG in Canada

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/908590-post1.html

Last edited by Valk; 11-30-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 PM

This is still posted on the Needswings website today

>>>In the near future we expect Chrysler to discontinue these as we are seeing it happen on other Chrysler/Mercedes vehicles and other crossfire parts <<<.
Get them while you can!

NeedsWings Performance Products. SKREEM and Antenna Ring

Old 11-29-2018, 08:55 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I do not know the person responsible for changing the list price of the parts at FCA. Might be caused by an increase from Mercedes, might be FCA, might be a supplier increase. I am not consulted, my price went up according to the list price on a take it or leave it scenario.

While I continue looking to find a solution to this that is less expensive than OEM, I have not completed yet, nor can I promise any timelines. There are ways around it but not yet cost effectively.

Chrysler does not need to supply this part anymore. If shaming them is a path you want to go down, poking the bear may work, but be prepared for Chrysler just discontinuing the parts as they have already done on other crossfire parts that you haven't realized yet. The Chrysler that you purchased your car from is no longer. They have been married, divorced, bankrupt, now remarried and the ex-wife and new wife (both of which are in charge of this situation) do not get along (as of now they are at least on speaking terms).

Old 11-29-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
I do not know the person responsible for changing the list price of the parts at FCA.
Might be caused by an increase from Mercedes, might be FCA, might be a supplier increase.
I am not consulted, my price went up according to the list price on a take it or leave it scenario.
While I continue looking to find a solution to this that is less expensive than OEM, I have not completed yet, nor can I promise any timelines.
There are ways around it but not yet cost effectively.
Chrysler does not need to supply this part anymore.
If shaming them is a path you want to go down, poking the bear may work, but be prepared for Chrysler just discontinuing the parts as they have already done on other crossfire parts that you haven't realized yet.
The Chrysler that you purchased your car from is no longer.
They have been married, divorced, bankrupt, now remarried and the ex-wife and new wife (both of which are in charge of this situation) do not get along
(as of now they are at least on speaking terms).
Rob, I greatly appreciate you stopping in here to clarify all this
Your business is greatly appreciated and we hope to still purchase our parts via Needswings as long as you can provide them
With the SKREEM modules though I suspect they will be purchased only on a "needed" basis and not for a spare part due to the high prices they have reached

Last edited by Valk; 11-29-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:20 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Valk
Rob, I greatly appreciate you stopping in her to clarify all this
Your business is greatly appreciated and we hope to still purchase our parts via Needswings as long as you can provide them
With the SKREEM modules though I suspect they will be purchased only on a "needed" basis and not for a spare part due to the high prices they have reached
We could satisfy the FC, Mercedes spares issue by getting a Mercedes 170 series VIN as they use the same part and getting a price from a Mercedes dealer. At least we would see if it was an across the board increase.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Rob,
Love your "married, divorced, bankrupt, now remarried" analogy; that really explains what we're dealing with.
Although we are not hearing of many SKREEM failures, if a failure does occur we'd be SOL if none were available at any cost.
Brain aneurisms are rare too, but when they occur you are out of options as a spare brain isn't available (yet).
BTW, thanks for the rapid response and delivery of my new SKREEM. It is working great and the original (still good) is now carried as the spare along with the CPSs and required tools.
Thanks again for the continued support.
PS: I wonder if they salvaged the SKREEM and matching keys (transponders) from that Red Roadster in the Farmers Insurance ad now on TV before filling it with concrete?
Cheers,

Old 11-30-2018, 05:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

We could satisfy the FC, Mercedes spares issue by getting a Mercedes 170 series VIN as they use the same part and getting a price from a Mercedes dealer. At least we would see if it was an across the board increase.
I thought the same thing. Unfortunately, the Mercedes on-line parts database shows the unit is discontinued as well. I even had my friend with a 2002 R170 ask our local MB dealership if they, by chance, had one in stock. They didn't...

I've also had no luck tracking down using the Siemens part #. I had hoped that maybe that part # was used in other marquees as well. If it is/was, I sure haven't been able to confirm that.

If the units really are now out of production, prices won't likely go down. There IS a brand new SKREEM listed for $274 on eBay currently. Hopefully, one of us buys it.

Last edited by Bargegeek; 11-30-2018 at 05:49 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Gentlemen - Some of you have misinterpreted my statements concerning Needswings. If you will see my earlier post, sub original post, you will see that I am in no way blaming Rob or Needswings. I am, in fact, a huge supporter of Rob and his service. I am glad that Rob has clarified who raised the price, meaning either Chrysler/Fiat or Mercedes. That's what I was looking for! Up to his post about the two companies, no-one knew where the price increase came from. Thanks to Rob, we now know. I agree that Needswings is a very valuable resource for all of us. I have used Rob's company several times and will continue to do so. If you will re-read the original post you get the idea of what was of concern.

It's unfortunate that some of you misunderstood what I was after. Your public criticism isn't appreciated and you should be certain of all the facts before you so quickly chastise someone.

Jim

Old 11-30-2018, 04:09 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
Gentlemen - Some of you have misinterpreted my statements concerning Needswings. If you will see my earlier post, sub original post, you will see that I am in no way blaming Rob or Needswings. I am, in fact, a huge supporter of Rob and his service. I am glad that Rob has clarified who raised the price, meaning either Chrysler/Fiat or Mercedes. That's what I was looking for! Up to his post about the two companies, no-one knew where the price increase came from. Thanks to Rob, we now know. I agree that Needswings is a very valuable resource for all of us. I have used Rob's company several times and will continue to do so. If you will re-read the original post you get the idea of what was of concern.

It's unfortunate that some of you misunderstood what I was after. Your public criticism isn't appreciated and you should be certain of all the facts before you so quickly chastise someone.

Jim
I cannot see where you are said to be blaming NWings, Inthe previous post to yours Bargegeek says there is a brand new one on eBay, do not waste your money li would need Your VIN to be entered into its memory to be any use to you.
We need a way around this SKREEM bottleneck, and the sooner the better.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:47 PM
Forum Regular

180 - Thanks for your response. I talked with Rob at Needswings and told him I was just wanting to have a spare in case my SKREEM went out. His suggestion was to just drive my car and enjoy it as a toy and if the unit breaks down, face the problem then.

I was thinking of getting one of the salvaged units that are on ebay. They seem to be going for around $75 to $90 dollars, american. That being said, we then have to find someone who can enter my VIN number, that know's what they are doing. Who knows what that would cost. If the cost gets up to around $400 dollars, a new one is all the more attractive. Rob said he does not reprogram used units.

I'm like you; I hope someone comes up with a way to bypass the unit all together. Some of the other issues as well. I park mine in a garage at night and when not in use. If we take a cruise in it and stop to eat, I try to park where I can see the car. I'm not really worried about someone stealing it. It's insured and if it's stolen I'll just have to argue with the insurance Co.

Again, thanks for your input. If you have any ideas about the salvaged units as spares and who can program a VIN into them, let me know. I have to explore all avenues. Of course, I may be worrying too much. If you hear of anyway to bypass this unit or some of the other electronic booboo's, please share it with us on this forum.

Jim

Old 11-30-2018, 05:30 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Josh Chase can clone your current module to an eBay or scrap yard one,
You send him both along with 300 doll hairs, he'll handle the return shipping,
2 day turnaround not counting USPS.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
180 - Thanks for your response. I talked with Rob at Needswings and told him I was just wanting to have a spare in case my SKREEM went out. His suggestion was to just drive my car and enjoy it as a toy and if the unit breaks down, face the problem then.

I was thinking of getting one of the salvaged units that are on ebay. They seem to be going for around $75 to $90 dollars, american. That being said, we then have to find someone who can enter my VIN number, that know's what they are doing. Who knows what that would cost. If the cost gets up to around $400 dollars, a new one is all the more attractive. Rob said he does not reprogram used units.

I'm like you; I hope someone comes up with a way to bypass the unit all together. Some of the other issues as well. I park mine in a garage at night and when not in use. If we take a cruise in it and stop to eat, I try to park where I can see the car. I'm not really worried about someone stealing it. It's insured and if it's stolen I'll just have to argue with the insurance Co.
I echo 180's sentiment and didn't take any of the earlier comments as a criticism of Needswings. Indeed, they are the most reliable and valuable resource for our cars and is where I purchased my new spare SKREEM.

Regarding the reprogramming issue, website Autokeypro.ca (located in Hamilton, Ontario) claims they specialize in reprogramming used SKREEMs and other electronic modules. It may be worth contacting them if you really do want to get a used unit to keep as a spare.

Lastly, I'm in Louisville Let me know via PM if you'd be interested in meeting up in Newport for a cocktail next summer and discuss our cars?

Old 11-30-2018, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular

bargegeek - Sent you a PM. If you didn't get it, let me know and I'll resend.

Thanks for the information about Autokeypro.ca. I'll contact them.

Jim

Old 11-30-2018, 07:03 PM
Forum Regular

ala_xfire - Thanks for the information about Josh Chase. Do you have any contact information for him? I'm trying to deceide if I want an ebay unit and have it re-programed. You've probably seen where 180 and I have been talking about that. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the information.

Jim

Old 11-30-2018, 11:00 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Not directly, I talk to him on facebook.
The Mercedes Swap Shop is the account.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chooch
Rob,
Love your "married, divorced, bankrupt, now remarried" analogy; that really explains what we're dealing with.
Although we are not hearing of many SKREEM failures, if a failure does occur we'd be SOL if none were available at any cost.
Brain aneurisms are rare too, but when they occur you are out of options as a spare brain isn't available (yet).
BTW, thanks for the rapid response and delivery of my new SKREEM. It is working great and the original (still good) is now carried as the spare along with the CPSs and required tools.
Thanks again for the continued support.
PS: I wonder if they salvaged the SKREEM and matching keys (transponders) from that Red Roadster in the Farmers Insurance ad now on TV before filling it with concrete?
Cheers,
if i had a spare SKREEM, I'm not sure if i would be carrying it around in my car. It would be tucked away in a dry cool area in my house. The best place would probably be in a safe.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 15Spokes
if i had a spare SKREEM, I'm not sure if i would be carrying it around in my car. It would be tucked away in a dry cool area in my house.
The best place would probably be in a safe.
Depending on how far you travel in your car ya might want it with you

Old 12-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please do not go after the corporate manufacturers of out skreem and key/fobs. You can always get any any other part for our vehicles somewhere in the world as all of are cars eventually get parted out through salvage yards or individuals like us. But not these two parts. They are VIN sensitive for your car only and you need both for your car to ever run again. There is currently only one corporate source for these parts, and as difficult as it is for us as owners of these wonderful vehicles to accept the extreme price increase, we certainly do not want to push them to where they discontinue making them, like they already have with other Mercedes/Chysler similiar VIN sensitive parts . I just paid the price and thanks to Rob it was hundreds less than the dealership. Mercedes parts can be extremely expensive. There is a great you tube video of a mechanic holding up one new Mercedes high tech shock that sells for $2000 plus. Well, the clear plastic headlight (one) for our cars sells new from
Chrysler for $700......just priced it! You can always scrounge around for a used headlight or refinish yours, but without both a working matching skteemand fob for your car, it won't run!

Old 12-02-2018, 11:18 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Valk
Depending on how far you travel in your car ya might want it with you
Yup! I only carry the spare SKREEM when departing the local area, which is extremely rare these days.
However, the CPSs and tools are always in the back bin under the carpet.
Cheers,