Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Strange things after new SKREEM install

Old 12-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Strange things after new SKREEM install

The Culprit

Old 12-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by tgodshall2
Hey Pizzaguy,
I overnight-ed a new part from RockAuto and installed it today. Nothing has changed other then the same thing as the last new part. The dummy light has gone off yet I still have no brake lights, no 3rd brake light either and the ABS and BAS-ESP light are still on. Any new ideas or am I screwed?
I think I checked every fuse on the car at his point!

Im sorry to say this car is losing its luster...really fast!..I attached a picture of the car in case anyone wanted to see the culprit. It has been well cared for with really low miles which is why this pisses me off even more!

Troy

Just a wild guess, but since you replaced the brake switch, did you check (recheck) the fuses? Like I said, just a shot in the dark.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:07 PM

Hi GraphiteGhost,
Yep...I checked them again today after the new switch install just for ***** and giggles. I'm just hoping to get lucky with something stupid but to no avail. I just dont get it. Never had any issues at all, ever, never...and now all this crap. I'm wondering if it was the dealer who did something when they where messing around. I know they had that huge box of wires out next to the battery looking at the soldering on that board but it looked perfect. Could they have ruined a wire in that mess of wires somewhere?

They claim it couldn't be related to that but I dont know!....and how the hell is the dummy light "now" out when it should be on....right?...I mean I have lights not working..

Troy

Old 12-19-2018, 05:09 PM

and Guys,
On another side note, when you say check the fuses. I assume you mean a visual inspection. I haven't done anything beyond that. Is it possible for one to be bad but look fine?...Should I be checking more thoroughly?

Troy

Old 12-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Hi GraphiteGhost,
Yep...I checked them again today after the new switch install just for ***** and giggles. I'm just hoping to get lucky with something stupid but to no avail. I just dont get it. Never had any issues at all, ever, never...and now all this crap. I'm wondering if it was the dealer who did something when they where messing around. I know they had that huge box of wires out next to the battery looking at the soldering on that board but it looked perfect. Could they have ruined a wire in that mess of wires somewhere?

They claim it couldn't be related to that but I dont know!....and how the hell is the dummy light "now" out when it should be on....right?...I mean I have lights not working..

Troy
It seems we learn more of what went on every time you post, dealer? I cannot recall a dealer being mentioned before. I would look at the RCM again, it has a relay that controls the ABS etc., there are fuses on it as well.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:18 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I always check fuses with a test light to be sure. That is what metal tabs sticking out of the plastic are for.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:35 PM

Hey OneHundred...
If I posted everything I'm afraid it be a novel so I try to keep it to relevant facts. I know everyone here is busy.
It spent a week at the dealer who did nothing other than look in there on day 7 and say it would be $2k to fix but they weren't sure what to fix and if they could get parts. It was comical at best and I figure Id leave it out of this conversation but if its relevant Ill be happy to give details although that's about it.

I will check the fuses with a test light and also check the RCM again but I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure what I'm looking for! I did look at the fuses on the RCM. They looked fine but again, didnt use a test light. IS there anything else I should check. The dealer just checked the solder joints because I told them to and I was unable to get to the car. I sent hem a YouTube video of how to pull it out and look. I hope there isnt anything they could have screwed up. Its not rocket science from the look of it.

Troy

Old 12-20-2018, 09:25 AM

Hey OneHundred...
If I posted everything I'm afraid it be a novel so I try to keep it to relevant facts. I know everyone here is busy.
It spent a week at the dealer who did nothing other than look in there on day 7 and say it would be $2k to fix but they weren't sure what to fix and if they could get parts. It was comical at best and I figure Id leave it out of this conversation but if its relevant Ill be happy to give details although that's about it.

I will check the fuses with a test light and also check the RCM again but I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure what I'm looking for! I did look at the fuses on the RCM. They looked fine but again, didnt use a test light. IS there anything else I should check. The dealer just checked the solder joints because I told them to and I was unable to get to the car. I sent hem a YouTube video of how to pull it out and look. I hope there isnt anything they could have screwed up. Its not rocket science from the look of it.

Troy
So a week at the dealer is not relevant where they played they around with a component (RCM) that directly interacts with the abs system?
We do not want to see a post that is so long nobody can be bothered to read, but a bullet list would be quite acceptable.
I am sure that your troubles would be over by now if we had known about what happened.
Good luck.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:11 AM

Hey Onehundred...
It sat untouched at the dealer for 6 of the 7 days and I spoke to Rob at NeedsWings since I bought the SKREEM unit from him. He knew about the dealer looking at the RCM and didnt think it was related to this issue ( they took it out, looked at the solder joints and stuck it back in) so that's part of the reason I left it out of the conversation. From what I understand from reading, he knows his **** so if he said its unrelated , so be it, I left it out. Didn't want to confuse an already confusing scenario. Not exactly sure how my troubles would have been over by now but OK...
Today I'm trying new bulbs knowing its likely not that. 3rd light is out as well and my light bulb dummy light is back on today. I read on another thread that maybe the brake relay although I dont know where its at!

Troy

Old 12-20-2018, 11:40 AM

After searching the forum a bit more I found the location of the relay. Sneaky bastards....I ordered a new one. Fingers crossed. I dont hear any clicking when I press the pedal so who knows!..Nobody mentioned this so I'm not getting too excited but maybe Santa will come early...LOL

Old 12-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I read on another thread that maybe the brake relay although I dont know where its at!
Go to Service Manual page 5-143 for the complete trouble shooting guidance on the Brake Light Circuit:
  • POSSIBLE CAUSES
    • FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
    • BRAKE LAMP SWITCH OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
    • BRAKE LAMP SWITCH OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORTED
    • BRAKE LAMP SWITCH
    • BRAKE LAMP RELAY
    • CONTROLLER ANTILOCK BRAKE
If you have juice at Fuse 2 (15 Amp) and the Brake Lamp Switch is good, then the only other thing between the switch and all 3 Brake Lights is the Brake Lamp Relay unless the wiring is broken or shorted (this may include any of the numerous connectors in the circuit that may be corroded or otherwise damaged).
Page 8W-51-3 shows the Rear Lighting Circuit including the 3 Brake Lights

You can find the Brake Lamp Relay in the under-hood fuse block at the driver side firewall. See page 8L-90 for removal.

Also, page 8L-91 shows that there are 2 of the 3 pin switch harness connectors that connect to the switch. Did you miss one???

You can download the Service Manual from the below link (I referenced the 2004 manual as not knowing your Crossfire year):
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ollection.html

Last edited by Chooch; 12-20-2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-20-2018, 12:08 PM

Awesome...thank you Chooch!

Troy

Old 12-20-2018, 01:14 PM

It is amazing that the Stealerships have the Service Manuals and "trained" technicians but still can't find their azz;s with either hand
Welcome to the DIY Crossfire world.
Cheers,

Old 12-20-2018, 01:16 PM

Funny how they don't have any problem adding up the hours...that's for dang sure!..LOL
Thx!

Old 12-21-2018, 08:26 PM

Hey Chooch,
I did notice the 2 connectors going to the brake lamp switch but I only have 1 connection. I dont see anything under there however mine is a 2005 so maybe I only use 1 side?..How can I verify that only one side of the plug is used on a 2005 convertible? There are no EXTRA hanging plugs/wires but maybe it got pulled up and tucked behind the gauge cluster when replacing the skreem but seems doubtful as I hadnt touched it. I'm willing to rip it apart and check if someone says I should have 2!...Who am I kidding. Im checking anyway...LOL

Ive checked the #2 fuse....Its good. replaced the relay...still nothing.

Troy

Old 12-21-2018, 09:25 PM

Check the 2005 Service Manual to see if there is a difference (I doubt that there is, but...).
Anyone out there who has change their brake lamp switch?
Please provide feedback on the number of 3 pin connectors you found plugged into the switch.
Cheers,

Old 12-23-2018, 12:06 PM

Hi Guys,
I ordered a 2005 service manual to see if my brake switch should indeed have plugs on both sides since I only have one. I ripped the entire dash apart and there is no wire with a plug hanging anywhere so doubtful that's it. So I've replaced the Brake switch, the brake relay, check all fuses all after replacing the skreem unit and still have no brake lights along with ABS light being on and BAS-ESP. I'm stumped and it seems like Ive exhausted out ideas from the forum. If anyone can think of anything Id appreciate it but looks like back to the stealership!!..UGH

Old 12-23-2018, 01:52 PM

Hi Guys,
I ordered a 2005 service manual to see if my brake switch should indeed have plugs on both sides since I only have one. I ripped the entire dash apart and there is no wire with a plug hanging anywhere so doubtful that's it. So I've replaced the Brake switch, the brake relay, check all fuses all after replacing the skreem unit and still have no brake lights along with ABS light being on and BAS-ESP. I'm stumped and it seems like Ive exhausted out ideas from the forum. If anyone can think of anything Id appreciate it but looks like back to the stealership!!..UGH
Ordered a service manual?
You can download it from this forum for free.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:56 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Hi Guys,

You should NEVER go to a dealership for this car. PERIOD...

Old 12-23-2018, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

Ordered a service manual?
You can download it from this forum for free.
I provided the link that has the manuals on the 20th.

"You can download the Service Manual from the below link (I referenced the 2004 manual as not knowing your Crossfire year):"
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ollection.html

Quick Reply: Strange things after new SKREEM install