Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Strange things after new SKREEM install

Old 12-17-2018, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange things after new SKREEM install

Hi Guys,
Spent a few weeks reading and picking everyone's brains here and you all have been a huge help getting my crossfire back on the road. About 1 month ago it just stopped running and I did lots of researching and it was the Skreem unit so I ordered one from Rob at NeedsWings. He was awesome, ..Sent it quickly and after watching install video my car fired right up. Thank you all so much for that.
Now the weird thing. My ABS light is now on after never being on before as is my BAS-ESP light and also the light with a exclamation point. Took me a while to figure out the lights not working are my brake lights...UGH
After reading the forum I figured OK, let me throw in a new battery and make sure that is NOT the issue and it changed nothing. I'm not sure where to look next or if anyone else had similar issues after replacing their SKREEM?
Any help would be super appreciated!

Troy

Old 12-17-2018, 04:47 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: Strange things after new SKREEM install

Originally Posted by tgodshall2
Hi Guys,
Spent a few weeks reading and picking everyone's brains here and you all have been a huge help getting my crossfire back on the road. About 1 month ago it just stopped running and I did lots of researching and it was the Skreem unit so I ordered one from Rob at NeedsWings. He was awesome, ..Sent it quickly and after watching install video my car fired right up. Thank you all so much for that.
Now the weird thing. My ABS light is now on after never being on before as is my BAS-ESP light and also the light with a exclamation point. Took me a while to figure out the lights not working are my brake lights...UGH
After reading the forum I figured OK, let me throw in a new battery and make sure that is NOT the issue and it changed nothing. I'm not sure where to look next or if anyone else had similar issues after replacing their SKREEM?
Any help would be super appreciated!

Troy
The problem lies elsewhere, it is not the SKREEM.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:51 PM

I spoke to Rob and he assured me it was not the SKREEM...I'm aware of that.
I'm asking if anyone knows where else to look?
Troy

Old 12-17-2018, 05:06 PM

I spoke to Rob and he assured me it was not the SKREEM...I'm aware of that.
I'm asking if anyone knows where else to look?
Troy
Removing the battery sometimes makes that light come on, I have only had it happen once. If it is that you can turn the steering wheel lock to lock and it might go away. Otherwise it is a speed sensorfault of some kind or another reason.
Hsve you tried reading the fault codes?Sometimes there is a fault without the CEL going on.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:17 PM

I haven't tried reading the fault codes yet...Maybe I can pick up a cheap scanner at Harbor Freight. Was hoping to get some ideas before spending more money. How can 3 lights be on and all these things fail right after installing the SKREEM. Could I have hit something or done something during the replacement?

Troy

Old 12-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Start the car, drive to some grass or sand (pavement is too tough on the steering).
Park the car, crank steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right then all the way back to the left.

Drive car a short distance. Park car. Turn engine off.
Restart car, drive home.

See if that clears at least one light. And as Dave said, if the ECM sees contradictory input from the wheel speed sensors, it will light the light telling you that ABS is compromised because it can't determine all of the wheel speeds.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:55 PM
Administrator

WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT a minute. Your "lights out" light is on, the brake lights dont work and your ABS is on?

Your brake light switch may be bad. It is not hard to just order one and replace it. This assumes that ALL brake lights are not working, if only one is out, then the 'lights out' light is real and the ABS light is probably on due to a bad wheel speed sensor or the steering thingy is not calibrated. I covered the calibration in the last post.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:06 PM

Correct...Both brake lights are out and the ABS light is "ON" not to mention the BAS-ESP light below it. ALL other lights work fine!
Where is the brake light switch?

Troy

Old 12-17-2018, 06:13 PM

If it happens to be down by the pedal could it be possible I knocked something around when putting the bottom of the dash back together?.....and perhaps that is causing all of this out of nowhere?
Troy

Old 12-17-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT a minute. Your "lights out" light is on, the brake lights dont work and your ABS is on?

Your brake light switch may be bad. It is not hard to just order one and replace it. This assumes that ALL brake lights are not working, if only one is out, then the 'lights out' light is real and the ABS light is probably on due to a bad wheel speed sensor or the steering thingy is not calibrated. I covered the calibration in the last post.
Good catch.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:20 PM

PIzzaguy...Ill check tomorrow when Daylight hits and see if I did indeed knock something around and if not, Ill order another and give it a shot. Fingers crossed. Thank you for all your help!
Troy

Old 12-17-2018, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Dave.

And here is Dave's answer to your question:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-location.html

Old 12-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I would start here as well. Money well spent whether the problem or not.

Here is what mine looked like when I changed it out...

Old 12-18-2018, 10:52 AM

Hey Pizzaguy, onehundred,
I have removed the brake light switch and other than having 2 input connections and only 1 being used , all looks fine. The part itself looks brand new but I've ordered a new one. Ill know tomorrow

Troy

Old 12-18-2018, 12:06 PM

OK..Found a new part at autozone so just installed it. This is where it gets weird.Que the twilight music!
I re-hook the battery and start the car. The ABS light and BAS-ESP lights are still on HOWEVER...The dummy light with exclamation point is off so I figure, thats a good start. At least I have my brake lights back...NOPE!
The light went off but still no brake lights. WTF

On top of that I couldnt even get it in gear until I kept playing with either the gearshift or brake pedal and then doink...It started working but makes this clicking sound now that it didnt before. Its not like it was hard to put in and I pressed the plunger before putting it in and it didnt make a licking noise...UGH
So my dummy light is gone but still no brake lights. Very frustrated!

Troy

Old 12-18-2018, 04:04 PM
Administrator

The fact that you have no brake lights AND you can't get it out of gear tells me the switch/brake light circuit is still not right.
Is the new part REALLY the right part? Buying electrical system parts at Autozone for these cars is a dubious endevour.

There are these places like Germanautosupply.com and FCPEuro and Needwings.com that most of us go to.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:07 PM

Hey Pizzaguy...I wasn't able to get out of gear at first. After pressing the pedal a few times I am now able to drive it but still no brake lights. Could I have gotten a bad one?
Does it matter which side of the plug I use?...There are (2) 3 prong inputs but only (1) 3 prong plug.

Troy

Old 12-18-2018, 05:26 PM
Administrator

1) Could I have gotten a bad one?
2) Does it matter which side of the plug I use?...There are (2) 3 prong inputs but only (1) 3 prong plug.

Troy
1) Sure, but with Autozone, etc. I am more worried about getting the WRONG one than a BAD one.
2) Yes. But I've not had to change one so Im not much help, best I can say is that the new one should be plugged in as to duplicate the old one; again, IF you get the right part.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:06 PM

Hi pizzaguy,
The part is identical in every way. My old one had two plugs as well...Idiot me didn't notice which side of the plug i used but I will try the other side later tonight when I get home. I ordered another from RockAuto just in case it is bad!...They are cheap so I'm OK trying another just to make sure its not this before I move on to whatever may be next which at this point, is another trip to a garage?
I havent heard any other ideas so garage might be my best bet. At least its runs now..LOL

thank you for all your help!

Troy

Old 12-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Question Re: Strange things after new SKREEM install

Hey Pizzaguy,
I overnight-ed a new part from RockAuto and installed it today. Nothing has changed other then the same thing as the last new part. The dummy light has gone off yet I still have no brake lights, no 3rd brake light either and the ABS and BAS-ESP light are still on. Any new ideas or am I screwed?
I think I checked every fuse on the car at his point!

Im sorry to say this car is losing its luster...really fast!..I attached a picture of the car in case anyone wanted to see the culprit. It has been well cared for with really low miles which is why this pisses me off even more!

Troy

Quick Reply: Strange things after new SKREEM install