Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Water pump gasket advise please.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Water pump gasket advise please.

So I have the water pump off of my car. I have a new GMB water pump that came with gaskets. I guess I didn't look at them close enough before I started because I thought it was a flat material type gasket which is what the oem pump had on it that I removed. The new GMB pump has a metal frame and a rubber seal. Is this a good seal to use? Ive obviously never replaced a water pump before but I've never used a gasket like this before either. Is this a new and better type?

Old 01-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Water pump gasket advise please.

Ok never mind folks. I see whats going on now. I just realized that my original gasket is also a metal gasket. So I should only need my new metal gasket as well. The groove in the new metal gasket threw me off. It will flatten out just like the oem one I took off once installed. Crisis averted!

Old 01-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom3120
So I have the water pump off of my car. I have a new GMB water pump that came with gaskets. I guess I didn't look at them close enough before I started because I thought it was a flat material type gasket which is what the oem pump had on it that I removed. The new GMB pump has a metal frame and a rubber seal. Is this a good seal to use? Ive obviously never replaced a water pump before but I've never used a gasket like this before either. Is this a new and better type?
I looked around on Google for answers, one person was complaining that they had to put gasket.cement on one face, with the rubber on the other face, if this is true I would not like that idea at all, that means there are two faces to leak. Look on Google and study their catalog, it may have the answer you need.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular

I finally figured out my mistake. SOME of these cars used a rubber gasket set into a groove. Others used a metal gasket that you need to put sealant on both sides and assemble. The metal gasket has a groove in it but once bolted down that groove will provide the seal as it flattens out. They provided both type gaskets. I only needed one. I did not have a groove built into the pump mounting surface so I needed the metal gasket. I saw a couple videos of others changing a water pump on a Mercedes and they had the groove for the rubber gasket. Interesting since these are Mercedes motors. I'm all assembled now. Just need to fill it up with coolant and hope I don't have any leaks. Fingers and legs crossed!

ONE MORE QUESTION........I drained the system today at the radiator petcock. I got about 7-1/2 quarts out. Do I need to worry about the coolant that in still in the engine block? The coolant I drained is blue but I'm putting Zerex G-05 back in. System holds 11.8 quarts...just short of 3 gallon so there may still be about 4-1/2 quarts still in there?

Last edited by Tom3120; 01-05-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:45 PM

I finally figured out my mistake. SOME of these cars used a rubber gasket set into a groove. Others used a metal gasket that you need to put sealant on both sides and assemble. The metal gasket has a groove in it but once bolted down that groove will provide the seal as it flattens out. They provided both type gaskets. I only needed one. I did not have a groove built into the pump mounting surface so I needed the metal gasket. I saw a couple videos of others changing a water pump on a Mercedes and they had the groove for the rubber gasket. Interesting since these are Mercedes motors. I'm all assembled now. Just need to fill it up with coolant and hope I don't have any leaks. Fingers and legs crossed!

ONE MORE QUESTION........I drained the system today at the radiator petcock. I got about 7-1/2 quarts out. Do I need to worry about the coolant that in still in the engine block? The coolant I drained is blue but I'm putting Zerex G-05 back in. System holds 11.8 quarts...just short of 3 gallon so there may still be about 4-1/2 quarts still in there?
The way I read your post it will leak, metal to metal needs a sealant, a collapsing groove is no good. Did I read it wrong?¡

Old 01-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80

The way I read your post it will leak, metal to metal needs a sealant, a collapsing groove is no good. Did I read it wrong?¡
The instructions that came with the pump said to apply sealant on both sides of the metal gasket...which I did. Guess I didn't mention that.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:01 PM

The instructions that came with the pump said to apply sealant on both sides of the metal gasket...which I did. Guess I didn't mention that.
No you did not, or mention you had instructions.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:03 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80

No you did not, or mention you had instructions.
lol, that's because the instructions were simply...take apart...put on gasket and put back on. It made no mention of the two different gasket types and using just one.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am replacing my new pump today. I have the same 2 gaskets. Did it work out for you just using 1?

Old 04-08-2022, 01:11 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by unopinionated
I am replacing my new pump today. I have the same 2 gaskets. Did it work out for you just using 1?
Yes it worked just fine.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:18 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have never installed the water pump type you are replacing but the gasket attached to the metal frame will work perfectly. The original single bead gasket was more than likely installed automatically with a robotic type manipulator at the factory. The one in your photo on the right has a bead of sealant precisely positioned relative to the pump's mounting hole pattern. This type of seal is probably a silicon or butyl elastomer and does not need any additional sealant. Install it dry. It would almost be impossible to precisely install a frameless gasket on the left.