Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Took Xfire in and...

Old 02-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took Xfire in and... (Solved)

Hey guys, well i recently purchased a 2005 Chrysler crossfire from a dealership under a powertrain warranty. I have the car for about 6 months now, as of late the car has had a loud ticking noise under the hood, and it increases as i accelerate. Soon enough after the car started losing power and it would have a hard time getting up to speed when i press on the pedal, not to mention the noise being loud in idle and even louder during acceleration. So i took the vehicle in to the dealer, they've had it for about a week to diagnose. And today i am told that i need 2 O2 Sensors (Up) and (Down),A Catalytic Converter, and a new throttle body sensor. (However i was told that new sensors come in new throttle body, so maybe is should just upgrade? Does anyone have suggestions? Where is the best place to purchase these parts? Are these jobs that can be done myself?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- And today i am told that i need 2 O2 Sensors (Up) and (Down), A Catalytic Converter, and a new throttle body.

-
Where is the best place to purchase these parts?

Last edited by Xenial; 03-10-2019 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Extra Information
Old 02-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Re: Took Xfire in and...

How many miles on the car? is this a limited or srt 6? I have my cats that came off my srt6 at 30000 miles but will sell in pairs,, both rear's or both fronts. $300 for either fronts or rear or $500 for all 4 ,,+ shipping. now for my thinking,,change your oil use moble 1 0-40 maybe the ticking, they all tick but not too loud.
do you have an engine light on if yes what code?
I really believe your 02's are ok and throttle body is ok too if it is a srt then you most likely need a supercharger pump
also do the throttle reset. (search throttle reset.) dis connect batt. for 2 to 4 min this will reset most everything. tell us also in the 6 months did u have any problems? jim

Old 02-04-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
How many miles on the car? is this a limited or srt 6? I have my cats that came off my srt6 at 30000 miles but will sell in pairs,, both rear's or both fronts. $300 for either fronts or rear or $500 for all 4 ,,+ shipping. now for my thinking,,change your oil use moble 1 0-40 maybe the ticking, they all tick but not too loud.
do you have an engine light on if yes what code?
I really believe your 02's are ok and throttle body is ok too if it is a srt then you most likely need a supercharger pump
also do the throttle reset. (search throttle reset.) dis connect batt. for 2 to 4 min this will reset most everything. tell us also in the 6 months did u have any problems? jim

Q - How many miles on the car?
A - I purchased the vehicle at 118k miles, when i left at the dealer i was at 127k miles

Q - Limited or SRT?
A - Limited

I had the oil changed recently before these issues occured, the ticking and excuse me, its was a knocking and tick, that i could feel in the car as i drive. And it would get louder and more abrupt as i accelerated.

Q - Was the engine light on? And What Codes?
A - The Check Engine light was on these are the codes i was told the car diagnosage received.
  1. P0152 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
  2. P0153 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
  3. P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
  4. P0137 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
  5. P0123 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input
  6. P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction
Q - Any issues in the six months i've had the vehicle?
A - As far as i can tell, just the Crankshaft Position Sensors, which triggered the code in the car, i purchased two of them, however i have not had them put in yet.

My car is currently at the dealer's service center, so doing a throttle body reset will have to wait until i arrive at the dealer sometime this week.

Last edited by Xenial; 02-04-2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added Quote, AND cODES
Old 02-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you changed the oil "recently before these issues occured", what oil did you put in it? I'm with amx and it's most unfortunate that you have your car at the dealer; only o.k. if it could be fixed under your powertrain warranty(extremely unlikely). Don't go buying parts just because the dealer says that's what's needed, because it's a very real possibility that they're full of ****, and just wanting to throw parts at it. Give the Forum members a crack at it before you go wasting money. Also, it would be good for you to get an inexpensive code reader.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
When you changed the oil "recently before these issues occured", what oil did you put in it? I'm with amx and it's most unfortunate that you have your car at the dealer; only o.k. if it could be fixed under your powertrain warranty(extremely unlikely). Don't go buying parts just because the dealer says that's what's needed, because it's a very real possibility that they're full of ****, and just wanting to throw parts at it. Give the Forum members a crack at it before you go wasting money. Also, it would be good for you to get an inexpensive code reader.
I took the car to the dealership for my last oil change , so they should have used Mobil 1 0w-40. I would not doubt the possibility of the stealership wanting to tax the hell out of me and throwing things in. I will work on getting a code reader if any suggestions? In the meantime however, this Xfire is my daily driver and until i get it fixed i am without wheels. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many others on this forum and I use the Ultragauge.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:51 PM

I would be surprised if the dealer used Mobil 1 0-40 as it cost around 9.00 per qt ($25.00 for 5 qts at walmart ,,the crossfire takes just under 9 qts.
all those codes happen when you have low batt, clear them all and start over (dis connect batt for 5 min. open and close door 5 or 6 times to discharge all components can you record the knocking. does the ticking and or the knocking happen at idle? here is the throttle reset
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...throttle+reset

Old 02-04-2019, 03:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. Don't go to the dealership. Go to an independent shop and bring your own oil (and filter) or learn how to do it yourself. Clear the codes. They are just telling you to fix things that have no direct link to the ticking you mentioned. They basically read the codes and gave you an estimate of what came out on their reader.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
I would be surprised if the dealer used Mobil 1 0-40 as it cost around 9.00 per qt ($25.00 for 5 qts at walmart ,,the crossfire takes just under 9 qts.
all those codes happen when you have low batt, clear them all and start over (dis connect batt for 5 min. open and close door 5 or 6 times to discharge all components can you record the knocking. does the ticking and or the knocking happen at idle? here is the throttle reset
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...throttle+reset
I will try all these when I pick up my Crossfire later this week. The knocking and ticking is happens even at idle, and when I'm driving it get louder, the car has trouble accelerating and it gets louder just trying to get to highway and road speeds, I can feel the loss of power too, so I know something is definitely wrong. I will do a throttle reset as you and the others have mentioned once I pick it up later this week. Also I will record the sound. Most likely will pick it up this Friday, so please stay tuned.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alexdc
Yeah. Don't go to the dealership. Go to an independent shop and bring your own oil (and filter) or learn how to do it yourself. Clear the codes. They are just telling you to fix things that have no direct link to the ticking you mentioned. They basically read the codes and gave you an estimate of what came out on their reader.
Agreed to above. Tell the dealership your brother in law(or whomever you wish to lie about)is a MB tech, and has agreed to help you out with your issue, and you just can't afford for them to do all the work; but thank you anyway. Then do the reset out in their lot(may or may not work)and drive away.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenial
I will try all these when I pick up my Crossfire later this week. The knocking and ticking is happens even at idle, and when I'm driving it get louder, the car has trouble accelerating and it gets louder just trying to get to highway and road speeds, I can feel the loss of power too, so I know something is definitely wrong. I will do a throttle reset as you and the others have mentioned once I pick it up later this week. Also I will record the sound. Most likely will pick it up this Friday, so please stay tuned.
Then maybe your o2 sensors needs replacement when it comes to your throttle and hesitation.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:20 PM

if the front cat is bad it will clog up the 02 sensor one sensor is before and one is after the cat.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:35 PM

I just uploaded a video of the sound today after I picked the car up.

https://youtu.be/l6d0sH8y6wc

I'm starting to lean towards the issue being the cat converter and 02 sensors

Old 02-08-2019, 10:42 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenial
Q - Was the engine light on? And What Codes?
A - The Check Engine light was on these are the codes i was told the car diagnosage received.
  1. P0152 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
  2. P0153 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
  3. P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
  4. P0137 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
  5. P0123 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input
  6. P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction
1,2, 3 - THREE codes from one sensor; the heater circuit is not flowing current, the loop from the sensor is running too high and times AND it's "slow to respond"?
Sounds like a bad sensor, corroded connector or resistive ground to me.

4 - This could be a real O2 code or bad sensor

5 - That one could be in the pedal sending unit or the throttle body.

6 - Ignore this one until you get everything else corrected, it can NOT make the car run poorly.

BUT, since you took the car to a dealer, (see my sigline), I must stop speaking to you, otherwise the vulgarities must flow.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-08-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Took Xfire in and...

Stealership...totally out!!!! lost top windshield piece,,,stealership wanted 581.00 ( not installed)...found it thru the Forum for 120.00 installed it myself....case closed!!.Carl

Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 PM

Im considering, getting a new cat, throttle body, and o2 sensors for my XFIRE. and later on more upgrades. At this point, I just want my babeh to run riiiiight! lol

Last edited by Xenial; 02-11-2019 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Typo*
Old 02-12-2019, 12:02 AM

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...cats-sale.html
will split if two different want a front each just split the cost. jim

Old 02-17-2019, 01:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely what has happened is you have a cracked cat causing a exhaust leak. That exhaust gas that leaks out is not being read by the O2 sensor and since that doesn't match what came through the mass air flow sensor the ECU starts to tune around that info. If it starts to go too far off the charts it'll think there's a sensor issue and throw codes for sensors that actually aren't faulty. Either way if I were replacing a cat I'd suggest new O2 sensors. If it were me I'd replace the mechanical failure first then retest the sensors.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:58 PM

I agree! I already purchased four new sensors. Since im a newbie when it comes to cars. :/ However, i had my cat checked out and i have a crack in the left drivers side Catalytic Converter. So, i need new part and service to replace.Going to cost me some cash, but far less than the stealership was quoting.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:02 PM

Yea read post 17 I have all 4 cats for sale.

Quick Reply: Took Xfire in and...