Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Told alarm module needs to be replaced - searching for reset trick used on SLK’s

Old 04-09-2019, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Told alarm module needs to be replaced - searching for reset trick used on SLK’s

2004 crossfire
currently wont start, have power including the fan for the air conditioner. No starting problems for at least a year. Think it’s something I accidentally do related to the alarm when I start the car. Mechanic says I need a new Alarm Module and the programming from the dealership. The part alone they are quoting me $700.

I have had this problem before and the tow the tow truck driver fixed it 5 minutes. He said the alarm needed to be reset or something along those lines. He said they used to do it all the time with SLK’s. Does anyone know how to do the reset process? Can you share please!

If it doesn't work is the dealership really my only option?

Old 04-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Told alarm module needs to be replaced - searching for reset trick used on SLK’s

We need more info than "currently car won't start" There are two major ways this can go.
First disconnect the battery for three minutes, reconnect and try to start. If you get three attempts, but car does not start you have a SKREEM problem. If car will not even turn the starter over, but the dash lights work OK you have a RCM problem.
Before we can help we need more specific info. It would help a lot also if you connect a scan tool and get the diagnostic trouble codes. DTC. GET THE NUMBER!! no something someone tells you it means. GET the number!

PS NEVER GO TO A DEALERSHIP!!!

Last edited by zip439; 04-10-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: PS
Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Told alarm module needs to be replaced - searching for reset trick used on SLK’s

Also, if the starter runs for like 30 seconds and the engine don't catch, then you have a fuel or CPS problem.
Another dash lights and no starter problem can be the pulse module.

There are 3 conditions :
1. no crank, no start. - RCM or pulse module
2. crank, no start - fuel or spark ( CPS sensor )
3. crank and start, but dies 2 times, then nuttin - SKREEM

Old 04-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by delighton
2004 crossfire
currently wont start,
As others have said, that tells us nothing.
Does the starter engage or not?

And a dealer is NEVER an option. See my sigline before I go off on you.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:45 PM

Thank you!!! In response to your comments plus some additional info. that may or may not help...

1. I don’t know what the mechanic did. I will call and ask.
2. I will also ask if he used a Scan tool and what codes came up.
3. I didn’t disconnect the battery cables before the tow truck driver came. I will ask mechanic if he did that.
4. Note that the headlights were flashing like the alarm was going off. The alarm button below the radio or on my key hadn’t been pressed.
5. I do not want to go to the dealer but where it is right now they are telling me I need a new alarm module and programming from the dealer but even the dealer doesn’t think I will. I was reading on this forum people just replaced the batteries in the alarm module. Couldn’t that just be the case?
6. When I turned the key all the lights would turn on, dash and exterior, and the air conditioning fan but it doesn’t start up. So no “rrrrmmmm....rmmmmm”, just turn, then complete silence other than the sound of the fan

Some questions maybe not necessary for now...
7. If it is a SKREEM issue then what? (will the DTC code tell me this)
8. If it is a RCM issue then what?will the DTC code tell me this)

Thanks Evette

Originally Posted by zip439
We need more info than "currently car won't start" There are two major ways this can go.
First disconnect the battery for three minutes, reconnect and try to start. If you get three attempts, but car does not start you have a SKREEM problem. If car will not even turn the starter over, but the dash lights work OK you have a RCM problem.
Before we can help we need more specific info. It would help a lot also if you connect a scan tool and get the diagnostic trouble codes. DTC. GET THE NUMBER!! no something someone tells you it means. GET the number!

PS NEVER GO TO A DEALERSHIP!!!

Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Update:
man this really sucks.. that’s my update.. kidding

called mechanic
1. He said he already pulled the battery cables off waiting 3 minutes then tried to start and he said it tried to start but barely then went back to not turning over but still have all lights, etc working
2. He said the code is P2071
3. I was reading on here about removing fuse #9 to get it to start. Should I ask him to do that?

any more advice? Feeling helpless. Need to figure out my car situation this week.

Thank you!!! In response to your comments plus some additional info. that may or may not help...

1. I don’t know what the mechanic did. I will call and ask.
2. I will also ask if he used a Scan tool and what codes came up.
3. I didn’t disconnect the battery cables before the tow truck driver came. I will ask mechanic if he did that.
4. Note that the headlights were flashing like the alarm was going off. The alarm button below the radio or on my key hadn’t been pressed.
5. I do not want to go to the dealer but where it is right now they are telling me I need a new alarm module and programming from the dealer but even the dealer doesn’t think I will. I was reading on this forum people just replaced the batteries in the alarm module. Couldn’t that just be the case?
6. When I turned the key all the lights would turn on, dash and exterior, and the air conditioning fan but it doesn’t start up. So no “rrrrmmmm....rmmmmm”, just turn, then complete silence other than the sound of the fan

Some questions maybe not necessary for now...
7. If it is a SKREEM issue then what? (will the DTC code tell me this)
8. If it is a RCM issue then what?will the DTC code tell me this)

Thanks Evette

Old 04-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:
man this really sucks.. that’s my update.. kidding

called mechanic
1. He said he already pulled the battery cables off waiting 3 minutes then tried to start and he said it tried to start but barely then went back to not turning over but still have all lights, etc working
2. He said the code is P2071
3. I was reading on here about removing fuse #9 to get it to start. Should I ask him to do that?

any more advice? Feeling helpless. Need to figure out my car situation this week.
a stored P2071 means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected an intake manifold tuning (IMT) valve that is stuck closed for engine bank two

Old 04-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Update:
1. He said he already pulled the battery cables off waiting 3 minutes then tried to start and he said it tried to start but barely then went back to not turning over but still have all lights, etc working.
Sounds like a dead SKREEM - two short starts, then nothing.
There are multiple threads on this forum that go into detail on SKREEM failures. Review them for background understanding.
IF you have a failed SKREEM, the cheapest replacement will cost $699.96 at Needswings.com
NeedsWings Performance Products. Crossfire SKREEM and Antenna Ring
The SKREEM is VIN dependent, so don't waste $$$ on a used one. It will not work.
(Or, you can spend thousands if you find a dealer still selling and installing SKREEMs)

Old 04-10-2019, 07:11 PM

Is the SKREEM and alarm module the same thing?

Old 04-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

NO. The SKREEM ( Security Key Module ) is located in the dash behind the speedometer.
The alarm module is mounted outside under the wiper cowl about the center.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:48 PM

what does a p2071 code have to do with either 1 of those

Old 04-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Moore2575
Nothing that I know of. Sounds like another amazing "Dealer Diagnosis".

Old 04-11-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Nothing that I know of. Sounds like another amazing "Dealer Diagnosis".
yes it sure does....ONCE AGAIN DEALERSHIP SHOULD BE LAST CHOICE TO TAKE THE CROSSFIRE TO

Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Delighton, Go ahead and try the fuse #9 removal; It can'y hurt anything. It is important that the battery be disconnected before you remove the #9 fuse, wait the three minutes, and then it may take a couple tries before the car will start. BUT, what the heck, you got nothing to loose for trying. If it doesn't work for you, simply replace the fuse and your back in the same old boat, but I would definitely give it a try if it were my car.

Where is your car? Independent shop or a dealership? Is your car a coupe or a convertible?

Something else you should check is to see if you have any water in the bottom of the rear of the car. Get under the rear carpet and remove the tools from the well in the styrofoam on the passenger side of the car. Use a screwdrive ( or drill a hole through the styrofoam) roll up a piece of newspaper and stick it through the hole. If it comes out wet, you have other problems. Dry is GOOD!

Last edited by zip439; 04-12-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can explain exactly what is happening I may be able to help you. I'd suggest removing the battery cables and reconnecting. turn key to run position without starting. does the radiator fan come on? Try to start the engine if the radiator fan does not come on, does it start and run for 3 seconds then shut off? does the engine just crank and no start?

you mention that the tech says the engine tried to start after disconnecting the battery and reconnecting but "just barley, then it went back to nothing", what does that mean?

I'll try and help point you in the right direction but full disclosure, I AM a dealership tech :P

Old 04-13-2019, 11:32 AM

P2071 relates to messages not being received from the skreem module.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by DualSportDad
P2071 relates to messages not being received from the skreem module.
? stored P2071 means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected an intake manifold tuning (IMT) valve that is stuck closed for engine bank two....i havent had any problems with mine yet , but im starting to hate "skreem" more and more

Last edited by Moore2575; 04-13-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:58 PM

? stored P2071 means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected an intake manifold tuning (IMT) valve that is stuck closed for engine bank two
where are you getting that info from?

Old 04-13-2019, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by DualSportDad
where are you getting that info from?
i googled that code ....i really dont know

Old 04-13-2019, 06:05 PM

sarcasm?

Quick Reply: Told alarm module needs to be replaced - searching for reset trick used on SLK’s