Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

NA Crossfire - Random miss issue

Old 04-30-2019, 11:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default NA Crossfire - Random miss issue

I've got a 2005 NA car (6-speed) with a random miss while cruising, after the engine gets warm. Runs perfect while cold, runs fine under load at about 1/2 throttle and up. I don't really notice it above roughly 2800 rpms and up. Totally random, sometimes it's worse than other times. So far I've swapped the plugs, MAF, and throttle body. Ready to swap out the fuel pump next. No CEL codes at all. Anyone else seen this?

Old 05-01-2019, 12:02 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: NA Crossfire - Random miss issue

Kinda sounds like a minor vacuum leak to me .....

Old 05-01-2019, 09:03 AM

Yeah maybe. I've checked all the vac hoses I can see, and it idles perfectly smooth at around 700 - 800 rpm. Hopefully I'll get the fuel pump in tonight, but I'm not real optimistic on that being the issue.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

A fuel pressure gauge at Summit Racing cost me $36 - told me right away my pressure was fine. I"m LOVING how they built these cars with schrader valves on the fuel rail.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo-Duck
I've got a 2005 NA car (6-speed) with a random miss while cruising, after the engine gets warm. Runs perfect while cold, runs fine under load at about 1/2 throttle and up. I don't really notice it above roughly 2800 rpms and up. Totally random, sometimes it's worse than other times. So far I've swapped the plugs, MAF, and throttle body. Ready to swap out the fuel pump next. No CEL codes at all. Anyone else seen this?
Well, I know what it's not - Replaced the MAF, throttle body, and fuel pump and filter. I guess I'll go electrical next. Crank / Cam sensors...

Old 05-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Re: NA Crossfire - Random miss issue

Dumb question; plug wires? With dual plugs, would a bad/weak/damaged wire not always be obvious or noticeable? (or throw a code?)

Old 05-06-2019, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by lovecross
Dumb question; plug wires? With dual plugs, would a bad/weak/damaged wire not always be obvious or noticeable? (or throw a code?)
Yeah, maybe. I've replaced the crank and cam sensors with no improvement. I've had bad wires in the past, and they always seem worse when the weather is "wet" - There's no difference with this one. But, with that being said, I plan to swap the coil packs and wires from my SRT to this car and see what happens.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Duck
Yeah, maybe. I've replaced the crank and cam sensors with no improvement. I've had bad wires in the past, and they always seem worse when the weather is "wet" - There's no difference with this one. But, with that being said, I plan to swap the coil packs and wires from my SRT to this car and see what happens.
My Crossfire did the same. Later, it wouldn't start. I replaced the Relay Control Module with one made by Standard (about $120), which solved the problem and made the car perform much better. No code was thrown. More recently, the Crankshaft Position Sensor failed. I replaced it, and the code was eliminated. The car runs even better now. Maybe it's time to replace the camshaft position sensor just for grins.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by shaag78749
My Crossfire did the same. Later, it wouldn't start. I replaced the Relay Control Module with one made by Standard (about $120), which solved the problem and made the car perform much better. No code was thrown. More recently, the Crankshaft Position Sensor failed. I replaced it, and the code was eliminated. The car runs even better now. Maybe it's time to replace the camshaft position sensor just for grins.
Thanks for the replay, but already replaced the Crank and Cam sensors with new Bosch parts. The only thing I haven't done yet is swap out the coils / wires.

-Gary