Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

will not start

Old 05-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will not start

Hello all!
About 3 weeks ago I purchesed a 2005 crossfire limited (convertable) with 63k miles on ( great condition) it has been runing very good up till yesterday!
I went out to start the car and found the key Fob was not unlocking the doors. tyred both Fobs. I used the key to enter the car when I turn the key the car started to turn over like it was going to start but it didn't i then tryed again with the same out come On the 3rd timne the car did nothing. All the light on the dash work and the radio did some on I did hear w wierd clicking fron the dash. I setep out of the car to open the hood and found all the light flashing ( checked my hazard light they where off) tryed the other key and same thing. I did check the battery and it seems to be fine I have done no other work to it other then what i have listed scrathing my head on this and was woundering what you all had to say.

Thank you in advanced!

Old 05-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: will not start

Disconnect the ground of the battery
Pull fuse #9 which is in the box next to the power brake cannister on the left side of the engine bay
Connect the battery and try it again

Old 05-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Might just need a NEW battery. Do the step below first and see. These cars are notorious for electrical problems solved by a new battery.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:31 PM

Here are some scenarios I copied and pasted from another site that might apply here.

Reboot

Thanks Ragand! I experienced many of the same problem as others here ... car was fine but then key wouldn’t work (except manually), dash lights on but car wouldn’t start. Had the battery checked, it was good. Ran to the store and bought new batteries for key, that didn’t work. The button for the tow lock kept flashing and couldn’t be turned off. Took your advice and removed the battery cables, then touched the cables together for 15 seconds with the assist of a wrench. Reattached battery cables, Turned the ignition and wahoo! All was working as before

the car guy and he told me to take both battery clamps off the battery and ground both the cables to each other for 10 seconds this would reboot the car computer. Reinstall cables and this fix the problem

Put a new battery in it yesterday, it started fine, ran okay. However today, same problem as you described, electronic door locks don't work, lights flash when I open the door, Car won't start but all the electrical systems work. I took your advice, disconnected the battery, ground the cables together, and now it started, at least for now

Ragand's answer saved my life! Locked my '08 roadster (with only 13,000 miles on it!) and went to work. At quitting time the key fob wouldn't work. Replaced the batteries and still no go. Tried the other fob and no go. Opening the driver door only set off the alarm. The car powered up but wouldn't crank. I disconnected the battery and connected the negative and positive cables together for 10 seconds. The cables won't reach so I used a crescent wrench as a jumper. Reconnected everything, prayed, held my breath, and the doors unlocked!!! I put a 10mm wrench and a heavy guage wire jumper in the glove box to ward off the evil spirits! Thanks ragand!

Ragand - tell your son he is a genius. I found several different suggestions on several message boards on how to reset my Crossfire Security system after it refused to recognize my key fob or allow me to start the car. The last idea I tried was to disconnect the battery and short the cables (I used my jumper cables). Once I connected the battery up again it was all fixed ..!!! Thanks SO MUCH !

I have a 2005 crossfire that wouldn't start. After reading these comments, I tried to connect the cables together with a pliers and it didn't work. Than I stretched the cables to actually touch each other and it started. I am amazed. Not to mention saving lots of $$$.

Thanks Ragand! I experienced many of the same problem as others here ... car was fine but then key wouldn’t work (except manually), dash lights on but car wouldn’t start. Had the battery checked, it was good. Ran to the store and bought new batteries for key, that didn’t work. The button for the tow lock kept flashing and couldn’t be turned off. Took your advice and removed the battery cables, then touched the cables together for 15 seconds with the assist of a wrench. Reattached battery cables, Turned the ignition and wahoo! All was working as before.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Re: will not start

Just wondering on a keyboard...did OP have skreem like symptoms? Did I just read a possible fix?

Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 AM

I don't think so, he didn't say anything about it starting and dying twice then nothing.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ttmmdd
I don't think so, he didn't say anything about it starting and dying twice then nothing.
I've never had a skreem issue, Thank God. I became curious after OP said: "turned over" (cranked), twice, then nothing. Also curious; your post info, re: reboot came from another site. Which site? Thank you.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:53 PM

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...fire-srt-6-16/

The series I cut was 5 years old so you have to dig deep

Old 05-08-2019, 05:32 PM

Sorry it has takien so long to get back I have been out of town.

I did Get the car running by pulling the 2 battery terminals and discharging them by touching them togeather for about 10 to 15 seconds. I will updated in a few weeks to weather or not this is tamporary..

Again thanks Everyone for the advice!

Old 05-08-2019, 11:17 PM

Mine did the same thing a few days after I had been working on the car and had the battery disconnected for the work. Although the cables seemed tight, once they were reseated and tightened again, the problem never re-occurred, and I have not had to replace the battery either.
I think the flashing headlights and clicking sound part really indicates that your burglar alarm should be going off. I'll bet you'll say your alarm never works at all. That's the way mine was also.

It's kind of dumb when you think about it. The remote won't open the doors, so you use the key to unlock the door. Then you use the key to try to start the car.
I think at that point, because of a battery/low voltage issue, the skreem must not authenticate correctly with the remote in the ignition, and it assumes you must be stealing the car (ignoring that you used a key to unlock two locks).
That disables the starting function, and sets off the alarm on the car. Perfectly logical, but completely stupid.

And if you don't know about this tip, you get to pay for a towing bill, trip to a car repair shop, and a repair bill, maybe to replace a battery that just needed the cables tightened.

Worst part for me was, it was cold freezing rain, I had tools under the carpet in the hatch area, but since the power unlock was not working, I couldn't open the hatch to get to the tools.
I had to work my arms over the bulkhead wall behind the seats, which incidentally seems to be thick enough to be an exact replica of a bulkhead from the Titanic.
I keep a wrench in my center console now, waiting in case that happens again.

Since then I have put in a new Mercedes alarm that will make soft beeps when you lock and unlock the car. That way, the next time, I'll also have a blaring alarm to go along with the flashing lights.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:59 PM

I am having the same issue with the car not starting when I turn the key. Dash lights up but no start. Battery checks out, alternator checks out. Replaced both positive and negative cable. Something else, sometimes it will start a few time and then do the no start, dash lights up behavior. Solenoid?

Old 06-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

Least expensive first step would be the RCM. Do a search on this site for info.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:22 AM

Crossfire Trouble.pdf
These are some of my notes that might help

Old 06-20-2019, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by btblack_58
I am having the same issue with the car not starting when I turn the key. Dash lights up but no start. Battery checks out, alternator checks out. Replaced both positive and negative cable. Something else, sometimes it will start a few time and then do the no start, dash lights up behavior. Solenoid?
Send the RCM to D.J. so he can go over the solder connections and replace any bad relays. While this may not be the cause, given that it usually is, I'd go in that direction.

Of course, more information would be helpful (what has been done, what led up to this, how old is the battery, how many miles, any history of other troubles?)

Old 07-12-2019, 01:24 AM

So nothing led upto these events, it just started.
Battery is 18 months old.
98,000 miles
no history of other troubles

Old 07-12-2019, 01:26 AM

also, I am new to this site, who is DJ?

Old 07-12-2019, 06:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

D. J. Tighe - he repairs RCMs
email tighed1@hotmail,com
forum name is tighed1
lives in Sierra Vista, AZ

Old 07-16-2019, 09:57 PM

Mine did this. Just wouldn't start.. acted like dead battery. Charged it and still nothing. After looking here i checked and the key fob wouldn't lock or unlock the doors. Pulled the negative battery cable and pulled the #9 fuse as I saw somewhere on here. Put everything back in and key fob locked and unlocked. Put key in ignition and started right up.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by sdmccoy
Pulled the negative battery cable and .... Put back ........
That, alone, will correct more than you would think. There are embedded microprocessors in the ECM and SKREEM and almost certainly in a handful of other modules; they can get "wrapped around their own axle" quite easily.

But then, can't that be said of each one of us?

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-16-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:12 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Anyone wanting info on RCM repairs, email me at tighed1@hotmail.com for details. :-)

Quick Reply: will not start