Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Front and Rear Suspension-Negative Camber Issue

Old 05-06-2019, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front and Rear Suspension-Negative Camber Issue

This is my first post here, though I am on this forum almost every day researching about my 2005 Sapphire Silver Blue SRT6. I've been through the rundown of a lot of common issues, but I was hoping to get some direct advice on this particular one. My front and rear wheels have some pretty bad negative camber going on, they tend to eat the inside of my tires quickly. I usually fix everything on my car itself but nearly half my paycheck goes to my baby and my gf is getting pretty tired of seeing me work on her. So I took it to the local mechanic for advice and he said the ball joints are worn out. He didn't say upper or lower, or even anything about the rear wheels, seeing as he wasn't aware the rear suspension is independent. So my question is; with this paycheck, do I buy new ball joints alone or do I need to get more parts for it than just that? Are any other parts potentially making me look like I belong in a Tokyo tuner car show? I can provide photos or any other information.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:13 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Front and Rear Suspension-Negative Camber Issue

Originally Posted by Tundra
This is my first post here, though I am on this forum almost every day researching about my 2005 Sapphire Silver Blue SRT6. I've been through the rundown of a lot of common issues, but I was hoping to get some direct advice on this particular one. My front and rear wheels have some pretty bad negative camber going on, they tend to eat the inside of my tires quickly. I usually fix everything on my car itself but nearly half my paycheck goes to my baby and my gf is getting pretty tired of seeing me work on her. So I took it to the local mechanic for advice and he said the ball joints are worn out. He didn't say upper or lower, or even anything about the rear wheels, seeing as he wasn't aware the rear suspension is independent. So my question is; with this paycheck, do I buy new ball joints alone or do I need to get more parts for it than just that? Are any other parts potentially making me look like I belong in a Tokyo tuner car show? I can provide photos or any other information.
Not too sure about your "local mechanic", but I only know what I've learned about our car, thru this forum. The stock rear wheel suspension camber arms are not adjustable. I noticed a visible negative rear camber begin to appear after several years and I still don't understand why this occurred. After researching this here, I've installed adjustable arms/links. There is much info here on the subject, and adjustable (rear) link parts are not expensive. We've had no issues yet in the front end, but time will tell if something needs replacing. 88k on the clock. I believe fronts are completetly adjustable, as would be necessary for a correct alignment.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 AM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

REAR=
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Adj...ox!33328!US!-1
front
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPC-FRONT-C...MAAOSwxu5ZMC5L
make sure u install them the correct direction

Old 05-08-2019, 09:38 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Tundra
Has your car been lowered? That will cause your problem if nothing else was done besides cutting the springs. Front and rear both have negative camber, too much, too little or positive camber causes problems.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:13 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I figured I would have to jump for the adjustable camber parts, as I did see in the forums that most people do that to correct the issue. My local mechanic is a rural farmer, Chevy truck guy. He's supposed to be a master mechanic but he let his young minion have the honor of inspecting my baby. My only concern is that if those parts are worn out as he suggested that they may become unsafe as some point in the near future. Also, I do believe she is at stock height and has not been lowered, she is at 93k miles and most likely just wearing out. I will find a way to accurately tell if she is not at stock height while I save for these parts just to be sure.

He quoted me $678 to replace the parts he thought were work out, the upper and lower control arms(front only). I said I would consider it and promptly hightailed out of there. I'll be going the route of the adjustable cambers. They are a good idea to have regardless. Thanks, guys. I will report back with my findings on modifications on the ride height or if the parts rectified the problem.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:33 AM

having a similar issue in my towing truck which we use for Roadside Assistance Services, looking for the solutions.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:34 AM

having a similar issue in my towing truck which we use for Roadside Assistance Services, looking for the solutions.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:02 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by martinbrown7870

To any forum moderator this appears to be an inappropriate post. Not looking for Crossfire help. Poster added link to a business which may or may not be real or safe to click on.

Last edited by Toolman; 05-11-2019 at 07:05 AM.