Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Car wont start - Immobilizer issue after charging battery

Old 07-06-2019, 03:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start - Immobilizer issue after charging battery

Car sat for a month while overseas, hence the battery went flat. Charged up the battery, after reconnecting, the headlights are on, the indicators are flashing, the car attempted to start, and the key fob will not lock or unlock the car. The key fob has the flashing light when the button is pressed, so the key fob battery is ok. I'm at a loss as to how to remedy this.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Car wont start-Immobiliser issue after charging battery

Try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes then reattach.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried disconnecting the battery for days, still had headlights on and flashing indicators when the battery was reconnected, and still immobolised.

Eventually, today I had another go at it, me thinking that the alarm module batteries are dead, and the immobiliser might be thinking the alarm has been disabled.
Disconnected the headlight connectors, connected the battery and hooked up a battery charger, and left it till the charger said the battery was fully charged.
Attempted a start with the battery charger still connected, (me thinking the charger would elevate the system voltage to allow the immobiliser to see the alarm module), and the immobiliser magically reset and the car started.
Reconnected the headlight connectors, and new problem, the high beam headlights come on when the engine is turned off, and the doors will not lock/unlock via the key fob, but will via the centre console button. So I have disconnected the battery again and will leave it a day,hoping it resets itself and then will try it again.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:09 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

These cars act very strangely when it comes to any interruptions in constant voltage supply
Good luck and please keep us posted

Old 08-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check your fuses. With Fuse #9 out or blown you cannot lock/unlock with the fob - but the console button will lock/unlock when in the car.

Check your dash lights with key in #1/On position. If most of the idiot lights are off -> check fuse #37 -- if this little 5A fuse blows your car will not start.
Also when fuse #37 blows your car will Start and then Stop --- the 3 tries and nothing symptom.

The fact that this car can turn into a paperweight over a 5A fuse.. blows my mind.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieXFire
Tried disconnecting the battery for days, still had headlights on and flashing indicators when the battery was reconnected, and still immobolised.

Eventually, today I had another go at it, me thinking that the alarm module batteries are dead, and the immobiliser might be thinking the alarm has been disabled.
Disconnected the headlight connectors, connected the battery and hooked up a battery charger, and left it till the charger said the battery was fully charged.
Attempted a start with the battery charger still connected, (me thinking the charger would elevate the system voltage to allow the immobiliser to see the alarm module), and the immobiliser magically reset and the car started.
Reconnected the headlight connectors, and new problem, the high beam headlights come on when the engine is turned off, and the doors will not lock/unlock via the key fob, but will via the centre console button. So I have disconnected the battery again and will leave it a day,hoping it resets itself and then will try it again.

By chance, have you checked the rear 'trunk' area (under the foam inserts where the fix-a-flat sits)? Right side, below the car, there are 2 rubber plugs below that cavity. The right one, poke a hole in it and see if water runs out. There are other ways to check but I find this one quick and easy. If you want to remove those foam inserts, you'll have to take out the two top side trim panels, the rear trim, and the two lower trim panels in hatch area. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieXFire
Car sat for a month while overseas, hence the battery went flat. Charged up the battery, after reconnecting, the headlights are on, the indicators are flashing, the car attempted to start, and the key fob will not lock or unlock the car. The key fob has the flashing light when the button is pressed, so the key fob battery is ok. I'm at a loss as to how to remedy this.
Simple check, are the flasher stalk, emergency flasher and headlight switch in the OFF position? Maybe fob needs to be reset.
How old is the battery?

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-03-2019 at 03:44 PM.