Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

electrical problem

Old 07-15-2019, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation electrical problem

2004 crossfire battery's red light came on, short time later it stalls and stops. checked the rcm module - looks good- , Tryied to started again and it acted like - silonoid -starter maybe, wanted to
crank and a crackeling sound (?) but didn't turn over. Battery has 12.6 volt I don't think it's the battery. My husband said it's the alternator - how can I check that? But if the alternator isn't charging how can the battery show 12.6v? Can some please adviise!! Thank you in advance. One more question, did I post this correctly?

Old 07-15-2019, 05:55 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: electrical problem

But is it STILL showing 12.6 volts? The battery light GENERALLY and almost ALWAYS means that the alternator is not charging. There are many reasons for it not to start OTHER than a weak battery, but the fact you saw the battery light then it quit running still makes me question the current state of charge in the battery.

Apart from the alternator/battery, a car that quits running and THEN won't start, that is, won't engage the starter, is usually the RCM.

If the car won't start, do the standard test: Leave key at "ON" and wait 30 seconds. If the engine fan warps up to high speed (you WILL hear it) , then the RCM is probably at fault - the ECM is not powered up but the FCM is, hence the high speed fan with key "ON".

Old 07-15-2019, 09:35 PM

Thank you for responding
I can't do the standard test, as the RCM and battery are out. I was trying to attach a picture of my RCM contacts, (in A 1-4) but in the meantime I lost all my prior reply to you.

Can I e:mail you the pictures, if you don't mind. I don't know if this is proper, but I think you might be able to acces mine and I can forward it to you. I ask for your assessment for the
solder points. It looks OK to me, but to an expert eye knowing this module is better.

By the way I was trying to make heads and tails of the service manual. This has over 1000+ pages! I have spent over three hours trying to locate RCM to find out what it actually
controls. No luck so far. I did find some on fuel,but I don't it's it.

Thank you again

Old 07-16-2019, 01:10 PM

thnak you, my husband removed the alternator and took down to napa to check. it is bad, we need to get a new one. valeo 439298 any other suggestions?
Can a Bosch or db ab00224 work. we need to get one soon.

also, thank you for the rcm info -- i resoldered(added solder) two of the three joints, although they looked pretty good. we'll see what happens.

i am still confused about starting a thread vs post

Old 07-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

I don't 'do' part numbers. I called NAPA and told them I had a 2007 Crossfire non-SRT, the guy told ME I had a "Valeo" (which I did).

The replacement fit, but the B+ terminal on the back had odd-shaped plastic around it, the lug would not fit. I cut the plastic away and was fine.
Three months later, the replacement failed. I ordered a warranty replacement thru NAPA. Replacement fit perfectly.

With the Valeo's you get what you get. As to fitting a Bosch, I believe it will fit, but am not sure. If you managed to wrestle the alternator off the car yourself, I'd say you will be fine with what ever replacement you get. But I'd try to order the same as what came off the car.