CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/)
-   -   HELP - Door handle & windshield trim removal (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/12649-help-door-handle-windshield-trim-removal.html)

crossfirefrank 10-23-2006 06:41 PM

HELP - Door handle & windshield trim removal

I want to get my door handles and windshield trim painted this winter while my car is in storage. Could someone please explain how to remove them. I purchased chrome trim in last week in the group buy and want to paint these items to match the color of the car. Any advise would be helpful.

crossfirefrank 10-26-2006 08:24 AM

Re: HELP - Door handle & windshield trim removal

Nobody on the forum has done this or could give me some insight on how to do it!

jonnyangel04 10-26-2006 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
Nobody on the forum has done this or could give me some insight on how to do it!

I wish I could buddy how come you didn't just get the chrome surround its a perfect fit it looks factory.

dynamicS 10-26-2006 07:29 PM

if you down-load the repair manual it should have all the answers to your questions!

stryfox 10-26-2006 08:33 PM

The window surround just pops off.
Use a fiber stick or paint stick to gently lift it then work around it prying up to pop them off.
The top piece by the roof comes off first.
You can drive the car without it as it is not the seal, it just looks ugly.
Hope this helps.

crossfirefrank 10-27-2006 07:42 AM

I do not have high-speed internet so it would take a long time to download the manual. Would someone be willing to download on a disc and send it to me?

HDDP 10-28-2006 03:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the pages from the manual on the Door Handle removal.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...1&d=1162020081

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...1&d=1162020081

And here's info on the windscreen surround removal. The Surround is held in place by double sided adhesive tape and the clips shown. You can thank our member Woody for providing the photos last year.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...5&d=1149859192

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...6&d=1149859192

crossfirefrank 10-28-2006 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the information, now I can get started on my project!!!

knowit 10-28-2006 07:46 AM

Hey let me know how this goes. I am also going to remove my door handles and sending them out for chrome. It will complete my chrome look.

crossfirefrank 10-28-2006 04:19 PM

I wanted to get mine chromed but could not find anyone that could chrome plastic. Are you sure you can get them chromed and if so how much? I'd like to send my handles to you to get chromed. In fact I bet a lot of folks would and maybe we could get a group discount. I was pulling mine off to paint the color of my car because I thought I had no other choice.

FP 10-28-2006 04:24 PM

I would like mine chromed as well.

deerhunter 07-21-2014 09:29 AM

'
Excuse me if this sound stupid, but is this saying you can remove the exterior door handle
without removing the door panel? Door handle is removed from the Outside of the car???
I am having some paint work done to my car, and would love to have the door handle
removed, paint guy says to tape around them, I want them taken off.
Thanks

ala_xfire 07-21-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by deerhunter (Post 804574)
'
Excuse me if this sound stupid, but is this saying you can remove the exterior door handle
without removing the door panel? Door handle is removed from the Outside of the car???
I am having some paint work done to my car, and would love to have the door handle
removed, paint guy says to tape around them, I want them taken off.
Thanks

That's what the manual says, haven't tried it myself.
( I sent you a PM )

Rip 09-07-2014 09:10 PM

Window trim on my 04 appears to be covered in black vinyl??? Definitely NOT paint, Which is pealing off. I want to repair as the silver colour under the black vinyl is showing and is ugly. My question is was the original silver or black? As I'd like it to be original.

James1549 09-07-2014 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rip (Post 811238)
My question is was the original silver or black? As I'd like it to be original.

It depends on several things about the original color of the trim. All 2004 are silver. All Limited models for the other years are silver. If you own a black base or red Special Edition, they were black.

James

EDIT: I just reread and saw you have a 2004. Trim would have been silver.

Egodriver71 09-08-2014 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rip (Post 811238)
Window trim on my 04 appears to be covered in black vinyl??? Definitely NOT paint, Which is pealing off. I want to repair as the silver colour under the black vinyl is showing and is ugly. My question is was the original silver or black? As I'd like it to be original.

Originally Posted by James1549 (Post 811240)
It depends on several things about the original color of the trim. All 2004 are silver. All Limited models for the other years are silver. If you own a black base or red Special Edition, they were black.

James

EDIT: I just reread and saw you have a 2004. Trim would have been silver.

Also, looking at the color of the door handles and the gills. If I recall, on the base they were black also...

SRT6GRL 10-19-2014 09:34 PM

Had my handles and windshield frame painted at the auto body shop. I have some small
pry marks on the windshield frame and on the interior door pulls. So first I wanna say,
too bad the shop doesn't do some research first. Then my interior door pulls wouldn't
have had to be pulled and pryed!
And second, just to CLARIFY, the windshield frame has NO sealing job? Its just a snap
on frame? Just want to make sure I won't have a water issue because of the small
pry marks.
thanks guys
Tracy

Blackktieguy 01-16-2016 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6GRL (Post 816006)
Had my handles and windshield frame painted at the auto body shop. I have some small
pry marks on the windshield frame and on the interior door pulls. So first I wanna say,
too bad the shop doesn't do some research first. Then my interior door pulls wouldn't
have had to be pulled and pryed!
And second, just to CLARIFY, the windshield frame has NO sealing job? Its just a snap
on frame? Just want to make sure I won't have a water issue because of the small
pry marks.
thanks guys
Tracy

From my experience it doesn't serve a weather strip support role of any sort. So you wouldn't experience any kind of leak from that.

OUTLAW 101 01-30-2021 05:04 PM

Pictures were a big help thanks

ZERACER 01-30-2021 05:52 PM

This string if from 2014. It helps to look at the date at the top of the post.