CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/)
-   -   Newbie fuel economy improvement ideas (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/54148-newbie-fuel-economy-improvement-ideas.html)

05Rd5tr 01-21-2012 08:21 PM

Newbie fuel economy improvement ideas

Hello one and all, I am a newbie to this forum and a new owner of a 05 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster n/a or,rather, my wife is. I am interested in knowing what improvements that can be made to the car to "effectively" improve the fuel economy . I am presently looking into a DCAI and possibly a different exhaust but am not interested in spending a lot of unnecessary $ on items that that are ineffective. Ideas please?

andrew 01-21-2012 08:24 PM

Re: Newbie fuel economy improvement ideas

~ welcome to the forum !!!

correct tire pressure (checked monthly) and clean air filters are two of the biggest fuel improvement areas... then there is always driving habits to consider. ;)

MikeR 01-21-2012 08:28 PM

the NA car gets very good gas mileage if you drive it that way.... my NA got 30mpg on the highway cruising at 70mph.... in city I think was around 25-26mpg.....:D

Kodebuster 01-21-2012 09:06 PM

On a trip from NYC to Orlando Florida with an average speed of around 70 to 75 mph, I tracked at 28.4 mpg as per my UltraGuage reader.

I zero'd out all counters on the Guage at the start, and monitored and set my fuel intake at every fill-up.

I'm running a Xfire N/A, completely stock, except for K&N filters...

MoparFreak69 01-21-2012 09:37 PM

On the trip home from Seattle when I bought the car I got 35 MPG while cruising 75-80 MPH which included several mountain passes and very hilly terrain (we get that on the left coast ;) )

The biggest influence on fuel economy is driving style, as mentioned earlier. Better air filtration (K&N's) and better exhaust flow can give better fuel mileage, but usually the power increase they give causes more use of the loud pedal, thereby defeating any gains they produce.

joejet 01-21-2012 10:04 PM

Wow, 35 MPG at 75-80 MPH is the best mileage yet on a Crossfire. Wish I could get that.

GraphiteGhost 01-22-2012 12:10 AM

:) Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the XF! Clean air filters, good grade of gas, and an easy pedal will help a lot. The exhaust will mostly drain your wallet, as will the DCAI. You can greatly improve the intake with removal of the MAF screen, and by debaffling the elbow below the MAF. That mod is written up in the engine and exhaust forum here ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-3-2-m112.html ). Hope your Mrs enjoys her car, there is quite a lot of help available here with people saving folks litelally thousands! Have fun! :)

05Rd5tr 02-05-2012 07:26 PM

Thanks for all the input and happy words of welcome. Sorry for the delay in returning to the Forum, I have been crazy busy. She seems to be averaging approx 24.49 mpg at the present @ mostly stop and go w/ a little cruise mixed in. I also want to say a word of thanks to all who have, and are ,posting on this site. I have already stopped the Xfire from a potential fire and a definite water leak condition thanks to a post on stopped up drains. Next I am going to try to repair the ls lower heating element as it seems to be inoperative as well. You guys are GREAT !!!!

:D

onehundred80 02-05-2012 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by 05Rd5tr
Thanks for all the input and happy words of welcome. Sorry for the delay in returning to the Forum, I have been crazy busy. She seems to be averaging approx 24.49 mpg at the present @ mostly stop and go w/ a little cruise mixed in. I also want to say a word of thanks to all who have, and are ,posting on this site. I have already stopped the Xfire from a potential fire and a definite water leak condition thanks to a post on stopped up drains. Next I am going to try to repair the ls lower heating element as it seems to be inoperative as well. You guys are GREAT !!!!

:D

If you get great mileage you are not having any fun at all.:p

99e46fanatic 02-22-2012 12:08 AM

^ I like your style!

SRT6_Roadster 02-22-2012 08:18 PM

Best suggestion - purchase a diesel to go along with the Crossfire.