CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/)
-   -   2005 coupe cranks but won't start. (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/72836-2005-coupe-cranks-but-wont-start.html)

Dnivek 10-17-2015 05:52 PM

2005 coupe cranks but won't start.

My car had been running fine, parked it for a few weeks. Tried to start it today and it cranks over but won't fire. I suspect CPS but I also see posts that SKREEM is possibility. Is there a easy way to tell the route I should take?

Mrmiata 10-17-2015 07:13 PM

Re: 2005 coupe cranks but won't start.

Skreem.. 3 cranks.. "stutter starts" and dies.. (sometimes 2) .. Must then pull battery cable to find the process only repeats itself.

ala_xfire 10-17-2015 07:17 PM

^^^
Yea, the SKREEM is like baseball, 3 strikes and you're OUT, whereas a bad CPS or connector will let you try till the battery goes dead.
This same symptom has also been traced to a faulty fuel relay in the RCM module, but you can test for fuel pressure at the test point on the fuel rail at the front passenger side of the engine.
If you can find one of those old fashioned neon plug testers, you can stick it in one of the coil packs where you have pulled a plug wire. If you see it light up, then it's almost for certain you have a fuel issue.
If it does not light up, then the PTCM is not happy with SOMETHING, like the CPS, or the SKREEM is telling it that the car is being stolen.

Dnivek 10-17-2015 07:27 PM

Ok, I've tried starting it five or six times and it still cranks, just no go. Doesn't even attempt to fire. So No SKREEM in that case right?
I've re soldered the No Start issue back when I purchased the car, so it should all be rock solid. I hope it's as simple as CPS do I can get this thing out of the garage and driving again...

Mrmiata 10-17-2015 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dnivek (Post 850382)
Ok, I've tried starting it five or six times and it still cranks, just no go. Doesn't even attempt to fire. So No SKREEM in that case right?
I've re soldered the No Start issue back when I purchased the car, so it should all be rock solid. I hope it's as simple as CPS do I can get this thing out of the garage and driving again...

Not the skreem is a definite ...;)

Dnivek 10-21-2015 06:15 PM

Replaced CPS today with Bosch unit, still won't start. Cranks and cranks, won't even stutter. Any ideas?

ala_xfire 10-21-2015 06:42 PM

Pull a plug wire and insert a phillips head screwdriver in the end, hold it ( by the plastic handle ) so the shaft is about
the thickness of a nickel from the block, have someone crank it.
If you have spark, then the PTCM is happy with the CPS and WANTS the engine to run.
If no spark, then I'm kinda at a loss since so many factors are involved on the PTCM inputs.
Lets HOPE there is spark, and if there is, then take the cap off the test point on the fuel rail at the front passenger side of the engine,
use a rag to prevent too much spillage and depress the little tire valve looking thingey,
you should get a good squirt since there should be about 60 PSI there.
If nothing, then do same thing with engine cranking over.

NOTE: kneel down with your ear just in front of the passenger rear tire and see if you can hear the fuel pump running when someone turns on the ignition ......

Report back results.

Dnivek 10-21-2015 06:45 PM

May have an idea... I just realized ism not hearing the traditional hum when I turn the key to on. Bad fuel pump?

ala_xfire 10-21-2015 07:10 PM

Bad pump, blown fuse or bad fuel pump relay in the RCM.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...lays-89869.jpg

Mrmiata 10-21-2015 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dnivek (Post 850609)
May have an idea... I just realized ism not hearing the traditional hum when I turn the key to on. Bad fuel pump?

Was just fixing to go there.. ;)

Along with ala_xfire 's thoughts..

garyt 02-02-2018 11:05 AM

I just had the same issue with my 05. Intermittent - Would crank fine but not start until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Turns out I had a bad battery. Installed new battery and it starts up every time.

onehundred80 02-02-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 850610)
Bad pump, blown fuse or bad fuel pump relay in the RCM.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...lays-89869.jpg

This photo is obsolete and you have the new one.I just saw this is an old thread.:rolleyes: