CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/)
-   -   Car won't lock / unlock (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/77071-car-wont-lock-unlock.html)

UK Sid 09-02-2017 12:09 PM

Car won't lock / unlock

Guys,

This just happened today out of the blue.
I have an '04 coupe and neither of my remotes will lock/unlock doors (batteries seem good).I have to lock the passenger side from inside the car manually and then use key to lock drivers side from outside and cannot lock the trunk. Also, the auto lock works ok when you drive off, and when I open the drivers door, the passenger one unlocks as it should. The interior switch works fine, locking and unlocking everything. The indicators flash as normal when using the remotes, so it appears they are communicating with the car.

Any ideas?

onehundred80 09-02-2017 01:16 PM

Re: Car won't lock / unlock

Originally Posted by UK Sid (Post 893632)
Guys,

This just happened today out of the blue.
I have an '04 coupe and neither of my remotes will lock/unlock doors (batteries seem good).I have to lock the passenger side from inside the car manually and then use key to lock drivers side from outside and cannot lock the trunk. Also, the auto lock works ok when you drive off, and when I open the drivers door, the passenger one unlocks as it should. The interior switch works fine, locking and unlocking everything. The indicators flash as normal when using the remotes, so it appears they are communicating with the car.

Any ideas?

Have you tried resynchronizing the keys to the car, sometimes continuos pressure on a button screws up the lock/unlock programming.
Worth a try I'd say.

UK Sid 09-02-2017 01:53 PM

Thanks 180.
I did try that earlier. This method...
Sat in the car, aimed remote at rear view mirror. Press one of the buttons twice. Place in ignition and turn on. Tried with both - no effect.
Also, when using the key in the lock, it only locks / unlocks the drivers door. No effect on passenger door or trunk.
I suppose I can assume it's not the pump, as the dash switch works ok, as does the auto lock.

UK Sid 09-03-2017 06:01 AM

Hmm,

Just tried the programming again - no luck.
However, I did note the interior lighting is not working or the trunk light - fuse 9 blown?
I'll have to check later as it just started to tip with heavy rain!!

UK Sid 09-03-2017 07:26 AM

Well,

Just had a look - fuse 9 blown.
Replaced with a spare and it blew as soon as I put it in. I didn't even start the car.
Now I'm confuzzed?

Kingdav1954 09-03-2017 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by UK Sid (Post 893666)
Well,

Just had a look - fuse 9 blown.
Replaced with a spare and it blew as soon as I put it in. I didn't even start the car.
Now I'm confuzzed?

Sid , go to the electrical section in the repair manual available here on the Forum for download it will help you track down your problem.

onehundred80 09-03-2017 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by UK Sid (Post 893639)
Thanks 180.
I did try that earlier. This method...
Sat in the car, aimed remote at rrear view mirror. Press one of the buttons twice. Place in ignition and turn on. Tried with both - no effect.
Also, when using the key in the lock, it only locks / unlocks the drivers door. No effect on passenger door or trunk.
I suppose I can assume it's not the pump, as the dash switch works ok, as does the auto lock.

No need to aim the fob at anything, just press the button etc.
The red light is just a battery check.

UK Sid 09-03-2017 12:28 PM

Cheers buddy,

Just looking now. Seems fuse 9 does the following:
Sends a feed to the bcm. It also splices off to:

Alarm siren
Garage door opener?? / tps
Cargo lamp
Dome lamp

I had a quick look at the cargo lamp earlier and it looks good with no dodgy connections / short.

As it blew instantly, I must assume a short somewhere.
I wonder if it's the siren? - that's never worked since I've had the car.

I'm hoping it's not something internal in the bcm as they are costly!

Only thing I don't understand is that I can see no ref on the diagrams that this fuse would affect the remote locking system? - unless that goes via the bcm and that particular part / section of the bcm now has no supply, preventing the remotes from working.

Any other input is welcome..;)

UK Sid 09-03-2017 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 893686)
No need to aim the fob at anything, just press the button etc.
The red light is just a battery check.

Thanks 180,

However, that's deffo not the cause now - they are both fine..

onehundred80 09-03-2017 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by UK Sid (Post 893687)
Cheers buddy,

Just looking now. Seems fuse 9 does the following:
Sends a feed to the bcm. It also splices off to:

Alarm siren
Garage door opener?? / tps
Cargo lamp
Dome lamp

I had a quick look at the cargo lamp earlier and it looks good with no dodgy connections / short.

As it blew instantly, I must assume a short somewhere.
I wonder if it's the siren? - that's never worked since I've had the car.

I'm hoping it's not something internal in the bcm as they are costly!

Only thing I don't understand is that I can see no ref on the diagrams that this fuse would affect the remote locking system? - unless that goes via the bcm and that particular part / section of the bcm now has no supply, preventing the remotes from working.

Any other input is welcome..;)

The garage door module is a transmitter/receiver, maybe it is also the receiver for the fob signal.
Here is a list of the settable functions for the Crossfire. CLICK

UK Sid 09-03-2017 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 893689)
The garage door module is a transmitter/receiver, maybe it is also the receiver for the fob signal.

Thanks 180 - saved that, will be handy for another time.
However, it's the fuse blowing / short that's the issue - just need to trace what's causing it.

Kingdav1954 09-03-2017 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 893689)

180 is correct at least on the Roadster it is all Incorporated at the rear view mirror. The left side of my map/ dome light stopped working took it apart to see what the problem was, I found that one of the metal conducting strips had come loose and was not making contact, so I put it back in place and reattached it using a hot glue gun been working ever since. Might be worth taking a look at your short could be in there

UK Sid 09-03-2017 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954 (Post 893698)
180 is correct at least on the Roadster it is all Incorporated at the rear view mirror. The left side of my map/ dome light stopped working took it apart to see what the problem was, I found that one of the metal conducting strips had come loose and was not making contact, so I put it back in place and reattached it using a hot glue gun been working ever since. Might be worth taking a look at your short could be in there

Will do buddy - cheers.
Gut feeling is something to do with the dome light or siren assembly.
Won't have any time now until next weekend though - can't really be bothered after work in the evenings!..;)

I can live with the issue in the meantime. Only thing I can't lock is the trunk, but where I live is pretty quiet and I work at a high security site where the car park is monitored 24/7.

ala_xfire 09-03-2017 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by UK Sid (Post 893700)
Will do buddy - cheers.
Gut feeling is something to do with the dome light or siren assembly.
Won't have any time now until next weekend though - can't really be bothered after work in the evenings!..;)

I can live with the issue in the meantime. Only thing I can't lock is the trunk, but where I live is pretty quiet and I work at a high security site where the car park is monitored 24/7.

Locks just keep honest people out anyway ......

UK Sid 09-03-2017 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 893702)
Locks just keep honest people out anyway ......

...And the crims.......;)

onehundred80 09-03-2017 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954 (Post 893698)

That dome light is a flaky piece of work, I had mine apart and noticed strips of metal laying in slots. Real flimsy.

UK Sid 09-04-2017 02:18 PM

Thanks 180 - maybe that's the place to start at the w/e.

BenzFire 09-05-2017 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by UK Sid (Post 893700)

My siren started going crazy 2 years ago, I removed fuse 9
and have been driving it like that ever since, can't lock trunk you
say? Temporary fix: Grab some duck tape or whatever
strong tape you have and tape the little open/closed
door switch "door ajar" on the drivers side, It might take a few strips
of tape to hold it down .. Now when you exit the car the trunk
and passenger door will not automatically unlock and will
stay locked until you manually open them with button
on the center console, the driver door continue to use key to lock it.
Good luck

PS: You say the alarm has never worked since you got the car?
that's strange! usually they either go bad and never shut up like mine did!
or else they continue to work just fine ... I would def look at the alarm siren
first, take it off and leave it off .. put fuse 9 back in and see if it blows..

UK Sid 09-05-2017 01:32 PM

Thanks,

I'll keep you guys up to date after the w/e.

Lyndond 10-05-2017 05:09 PM

I'm following this as I have exactly the same problem but no blown fuses