CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/)
-   -   Ok I'm lost!!! (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/78864-ok-im-lost.html)

8ighth Wonder 08-29-2018 04:35 AM

Ok I'm lost!!!

Car cut off on me mid drive acted like it was an alternator, lights dimmed, wouldn't change gears out of first, ac cut off, kept dropping power then picking back up, dropping power picking back up, abs, esp, coolant and battery light all came on. Turned the car off at first it only clicked but wouldn't start, then shut that out wouldn't do anything. I've already had the RCM repaired.

ala_xfire 08-29-2018 05:52 AM

Re: Ok I'm lost!!!

Battery, alternator or ground cable maybe ?

8ighth Wonder 08-29-2018 06:14 AM

Alternator was rebuilt about 2 years ago and battery was just replaced 4 days ago. I plan to have them both checked today though.

ZERACER 08-29-2018 11:12 AM

Sounds like a ground issue. I would start with the battery since you just replaced it?

ZERACER 08-29-2018 12:32 PM

Perhaps where it attaches to the firewall make sure it is a clean connection and I would replace the cable. It won't hurt anything and it may be an inexpensive fix. The cable may be corroded internally?

8ighth Wonder 08-29-2018 12:54 PM

All that is good. I'm going to have the battery charged and check the alternator. I wouldn't doubt that it's the issue. I ordered one in as the other was rebuilt and is now out of warranty. I'll let you know.

8ighth Wonder 09-03-2018 09:49 AM

Had to replace the alternator twice now the thing idles like I put a roller cam in it. Time to check for a vacuum leak.

waldig 09-03-2018 11:05 AM

For gods sake dont go all over the map. Get a voltmeter that plugs in the cigarette outlet and MONITOR the voltage while driving and having issues, CHEAP on ebay like 10$. Been saying this for ever..Woody

8ighth Wonder 09-03-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by waldig (Post 911628)
For gods sake dont go all over the map. Get a voltmeter that plugs in the cigarette outlet and MONITOR the voltage while driving and having issues, CHEAP on ebay like 10$. Been saying this for ever..Woody

Will do and I appreciate the tip, but I'm also thinking that may not fix air leak I'm hearing from under the hood.

onehundred80 09-03-2018 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 8ighth Wonder (Post 911630)
Will do and I appreciate the tip, but I'm also thinking that may not fix air leak I'm hearing from under the hood.

It must be one hell of a leak to hear it, carefully use a stethoscope to find it.
Play doctor with your car and get to know it intimately.

pizzaguy 09-03-2018 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by waldig (Post 911628)

AMEN. I've TRIED to explain to people that if the system voltage is up over 13.5-14.2, the alternator is doing its job, If you are driving around and it's 12 or less, it's time to look at the alternator.
When I explain that, I get stuff like: "No, Im sure the alternator is fine..." or "a friend says it's my ignition switch..."

I think I'm burned out from helping people.

onehundred80 09-03-2018 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 911675)

I think I'm burned out from helping people.

and I thought all that smoke was from forest fires.;)

8ighth Wonder 09-04-2018 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 911642)

It must be one hell of a leak to hear it, carefully use a stethoscope to find it.
Play doctor with your car and get to know it intimately.

It was. The seal on the intake part that rests on the maf was messed up.

onehundred80 09-04-2018 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 8ighth Wonder (Post 911696)
It was. The seal on the intake part that rests on the maf was messed up.

Do you mean the doughnut?
That is often cut and ruined.

8ighth Wonder 09-04-2018 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 911704)
Do you mean the doughnut?
That is often cut and ruined.

Yes, the doughnut, now she's running smooth.