CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/)
-   -   xmas on my dashboard (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/79517-xmas-my-dashboard.html)

butchey 01-08-2019 08:34 AM

xmas on my dashboard

I am having a problem with the dashboard indicators. They all light up intermittently. Sometimes they stay on until I shut the car off sometimes the go out on their own. Initially when this happened the car died and left me on the highway. I started reviewing the forum and found the RCM issue. I was able to resolve the car dying while on the highway at speed (yikes) by reflowing all the solder joints on the RCM. Now the car runs but it's Christmas time all year long on the dashboard. The gauges are working correctly. On a side note the rear wing will not stow. Not sure if this is related or not. Please help. I'm not the most technically savy but I do know which end of the hammer is the business end.

onehundred80 01-08-2019 08:46 AM

Re: xmas on my dashboard

Originally Posted by butchey (Post 917441)
I am having a problem with the dashboard indicators. They all light up intermittently. Sometimes they stay on until I shut the car off sometimes the go out on their own. Initially when this happened the car died and left me on the highway. I started reviewing the forum and found the RCM issue. I was able to resolve the car dying while on the highway at speed (yikes) by reflowing all the solder joints on the RCM. Now the car runs but it's Christmas time all year long on the dashboard. The gauges are working correctly. On a side note the rear wing will not stow. Not sure if this is related or not. Please help. I'm not the most technically savy but I do know which end of the hammer is the business end.

What condition is the battery? These cars do weird things when the battery is not up to par. The spoiler will act up with a poor battery.

butchey 01-08-2019 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 917442)

What condition is the battery? These cars do weird things when the battery is not up to par. The spoiler will act up with a poor battery.

Brand new battery as of Yesterday problem still exists

amx1397 01-08-2019 09:40 AM

replace the RCM

butchey 01-08-2019 10:02 AM

I reflowed all the connections and everything looks good. This was the original problem when she left me on the side of the road last year. When I inspected the solder connections they were cracked on many of the pins. I had everything resoldered. That was about 6 months ago. Fastforward to today and I just pulled it out again and looked at it under a high power scope. It looks perfect. It is possible the module is bad. Is there a way to test the relays on the board?

ala_xfire 01-08-2019 10:48 AM

Just send it and $50 to DJ and he will replace all the relays.
tighed1@hotmail.com for instructions.

butchey 01-08-2019 12:45 PM

I work in the electronics field and have all the stuff I need to replace faulty relays if need be. What I wanted to know is there a pin out of the connectors to operate the relays discretely?

amx1397 01-08-2019 12:55 PM

then remover the cover on the rcm and watch the relays ,,,close them by hand and then u will know which is bad.
then send it to tighted 1 and have him fix it, you may think u know this car but none of us know all about it . example tighted 1 knows the rcm,,,i know the rear end, others know other parts a lot of us have tried to repair the rcm and wind up sending it to tighted 1 good luck jim

we had this problem come into our shop twice so far ,,both were rcm

butchey 01-08-2019 02:13 PM

Thanx for all of the help. I didn't mean to come off sounding heavy handed. I just ment I understand the operation of the RCM and of relay theory. I was just trying to verify if they really are the problem. I did operate the relays manually and they move freely. I also verified that if I close the relay manually I have continuety. I thought if I ran current thru the relay to verify from the connector that the circuit worked.

amx1397 01-08-2019 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by butchey (Post 917465)
Thanx for all of the help. I didn't mean to come off sounding heavy handed. I just ment I understand the operation of the RCM and of relay theory. I was just trying to verify if they really are the problem. I did operate the relays manually and they move freely. I also verified that if I close the relay manually I have continuety. I thought if I ran current thru the relay to verify from the connector that the circuit worked.

I too did mean to come off heavy handed,,,I think i was letting you know what many has gone through, as for myself i manufactured the intake,up pipe and the lower pipe for the PT cruiser sold over 8000 of them today you can still get all three from Needswings but when i made a intake for my crossfire I though it was great,, then Rob sent me one of his to compare to mine, boy was i shocked,, the Needswings flowed so much more air , I went .3 faster in the 1/4, and got better MPG on t he highway.

pizzaguy 01-10-2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by butchey (Post 917460)
I work in the electronics field and have all the stuff I need to replace faulty relays if need be. What I wanted to know is there a pin out of the connectors to operate the relays discretely?

yes. It’s in the service manual. It takes a bit of effort to figure out, cause there are no circuit board details, but the electrical diagram appears accurate.

onehundred80 01-10-2019 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 917568)

yes. It’s in the service manual. It takes a bit of effort to figure out, cause there are no circuit board details, but the electrical diagram appears accurate.

The problem does sound like the RCM, you can remove it from its case as you have done before, inspect the relays for burnt contacts and missed bad solder joints. You can also put all the connectors back on it before putting it back in its case and see if it is operating properly. The air pump is normally the relay that gets burnt but it is not your problem, the ECM relay should be working all the time and the fuel pump relay as well.
Have you checked for any codes that may have been set? This should always be the first step, some codes do not set the engine problem light but as yours is lit all the time you would not know anyway.
If you need a new RCM they can be found new for about $135 new on eBay or auto parts suppliers.

Jim Holian 01-10-2019 06:44 PM

onehundred80 - Under what heading did you find the RCM's on ebay? I tried several titles but just found airbag modules, and key fob's. If you also know of some auto supply houses that have them, let me know that too.

Thanks,

Jim

onehundred80 01-10-2019 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Holian (Post 917578)
onehundred80 - Under what heading did you find the RCM's on ebay? I tried several titles but just found airbag modules, and key fob's. If you also know of some auto supply houses that have them, let me know that too.

Thanks,

Jim

Try this. I looked for it under its part # 170 545 03 05. Someone recently got one for about $130, it was in a post.
CLICK

steve1189 01-10-2019 08:02 PM

Rockauto has them, OEM for $125
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rol+relay,3188
Steve

butchey 01-11-2019 07:11 AM

I don't have a means to read the codes and am a little hesitant to drive it out of my garage for fear of getting stranded as before. The relays and contacts look pristine. The solder also is top notch. I think I will bite the bullet and buy a replacement RCM. Rockauto has them for $125. I will keep you all posted. Thanx again for all of the help.

amx1397 01-11-2019 09:17 AM

then send yours to tighted 1 with $30 to 50 he will repair it from front to rear ,,then u will have a spare because even the new one will need his repair sooner or later as they all (even the new ones come with bad solders ) jim

ala_xfire 01-11-2019 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by amx1397 (Post 917591)
then send yours to tighted 1 with $15 he will repair it from front to rear ,,then u will have a spare because even the new one will need his repair sooner or later as they all (even the new ones come with bad solders ) jim

Inflation strikes again Jim. DJ now charges $30 for the 'base' service, and $50 for the deluxe treatment ( replace fuel , air pump and engine relays )
If it were me, I'd charge $100 - ever try replacing one of those relays ?????

onehundred80 01-11-2019 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 917593)
Inflation strikes again Jim. DJ now charges $30 for the 'base' service, and $50 for the deluxe treatment ( replace fuel , air pump and engine relays )
If it were me, I'd charge $100 - ever try replacing one of those relays ?????

If you need to remove a relay you should desolder it as much as possible, then cut the terminals etc as close to the board as possible, desolder again and then wiggle them out as you melt the rest of the solder one by one. Desolder and clean up the holes before you put the new relay in.

butchey 01-11-2019 11:12 AM

It Helps if you work in an industry that uses all the rework tools to do component level replacement on circuit boards. But typically the very large parts on this particular board would require a lot of heat to flow the solder to remove the relays. You can buy basic soldering irons to do small stuff but they are in no way capable of delivering the heat needed to do this kind of thing. The alternative would be a small torch to heat the metal, but I wouldn't do that unless you are very confident in your ability.