CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/)
-   -   No Wipers. No Turn Signals. No Entry using Remote (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/86805-no-wipers-no-turn-signals-no-entry-using-remote.html)

CyberCG 02-05-2024 05:27 PM

No Wipers. No Turn Signals. No Entry using Remote

Hi guys and gals. I need your help.
Symptoms:
* Opened driver door using Remote.
* Started car. No problem.
* Wipers do not work. Turn Signals do not work.
* Exited car. Remote would not lock or unlock car but would flash the tail and front lights when pressed.
What I've done:
* Disconnected battery and connected positive and negative cables. Right after that, the car totally ignores the remote. Tried to resync the remote to the car, but no success.
* Tested and cleaned all fuses in the light switch and in the Underhood driver side fuse boxes.
* Manually tripped the trunk thru the left license plate light hole to get trunk open.
* Checked the Central Lock module in the trunk for water damage. It was completely dry. So was the trunk. Reseated all connectors.

Now what? If you can point me in a direction of next steps to take I will greatly appreciate it.

pizzaguy 02-05-2024 06:42 PM

Re: No Wipers. No Turn Signals. No Entry using Remote

Originally Posted by CyberCG (Post 986840)
Hi guys and gals. I need your help.
Symptoms:
* Opened driver door using Remote.
* Started car. No problem.
* Wipers do not work. Turn Signals do not work.
* Exited car. Remote would not lock or unlock car but would flash the tail and front lights when pressed.
What I've done:
* Disconnected battery and connected positive and negative cables. Right after that, the car totally ignores the remote. Tried to resync the remote to the car, but no success.
* Tested and cleaned all fuses in the light switch and in the Underhood driver side fuse boxes.
* Manually tripped the trunk thru the left license plate light hole to get trunk open.
* Checked the Central Lock module in the trunk for water damage. It was completely dry. So was the trunk. Reseated all connectors.

Now what? If you can point me in a direction of next steps to take I will greatly appreciate it.

So the FOB is flashing the lights, that means the FOB IS synced to the SKREEM. No resync is required, as the SKREEM is flashing the lights, this means the FOB and SKREEM are working.

We diagnose electrical stuff with LOGIC, (which is why no one can diagnose electrical issues).

SO:
You have FOB and SKREEM working fine both before and now.
Your locking pump won't lock or unlock the doors, and apparently it left the truck locked - this makes no sense so I will assume you are confused and not describing the symptoms correctly (like the guy who came to my house this weekend, what the car was doing was not what he described, finding his issue was easy.).
Your turn signals and wipers do not work.
Turn Signals and Wipers run off the switched battery feed from the ignition switch.
The locking pump is powered directly from battery feed.

So it does not appear all failures are related. I would need more history here.
Has everything worked up till now?
DId someone work on or modify the car recently?
Has the car acted oddly at any time, in any way, recently?
Does the car have an aftermarket remote-start or keyless entry installed? (If so, drive the car off a cliff and report it stolen.)
What are you leaving out?

CyberCG 02-05-2024 07:19 PM

The FOB did flash the lights and opened the driver door prior to discovery of the problem. Once I reset the system/s by grounding the battery positive cable to the neg cable, the car no longer recognized the FOB for remote locking and unlocking.
Also, The lock/unlock switch on the center console Does Not lock or unlock the doors now. It did prior to this problem
Nothing has been changed on the car and it has behaved normally since I rescued it about 1 year ago.
It had sat for about a week during our bout with sub zero temperatures. Once it was free of snow is when I unlocked it with the remote and started the car. That was when I noticed that the wipers and turn signals no longer worked and that the remote no longer would lock or unlock the doors.

CyberCG 02-05-2024 07:22 PM

Also, the car does not have a remote start system. It is a 2006 Roadster, manual 6 speed.
I have just printed out the applicable content from the Service Manual.
My next step tomorrow will be to determine if the Central Locking Module is receiving B+ voltages on pins 2 and 4.

DTMenace 02-06-2024 08:25 AM

CyberCG
What does this procedure mean? "Once I reset the system/s by grounding the battery positive cable to the neg cable, the car no longer recognized the FOB for remote locking and unlocking".

Did you cross the battery cables together? If so, you may have killed the battery. How old is the battery? Do you have the battery on a battery tender? This maybe the reason Pizzaguy could not diagnose your issues. Did you buy a Branded Title car, since it had prior issues?
Dennis
​​​​​​​DTMenace

CyberCG 02-06-2024 09:37 AM

Not a Branded car.
The reset procedure which is quite effective on Porsche is to remove the ground cable from the battery and touch it to the positive terminal for about 30 seconds. The battery is out of the circuit at this point.
The point in this is to allow all the capacitirs in the control modules to discharge. Basically a reset of all modules. It can fix many a weird problem.

DTMenace 02-06-2024 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by CyberCG (Post 986865)
Not a Branded car.
The reset procedure which is quite effective on Porsche is to remove the ground cable from the battery and touch it to the positive terminal for about 30 seconds. The battery is out of the circuit at this point.
The point in this is to allow all the capacitirs in the control modules to discharge. Basically a reset of all modules. It can fix many a weird problem.

CyberCG
The RESET procedure on the Crossfire is to disconnect the negative battery cable (ONLY) for about 30 minutes, Then reconnect and that will wipe out any issues that you may have encountered. BTW, how old is your battery? The Crossfire electrical system is sensitive to any variations in voltage, with any reading below 12 volts will result in weird scenarios with the car.
Good Luck....
Dennis
DTMenace

red_2005_convertible 02-06-2024 08:22 PM

Hi CyberCG,
have you tried to read if any error codes have been set. Does the car still start after starting it 3 times? If the SKREEM doesn't recognize your key, the car won't start after 3 times. Do the door locks close if you use your key in the driver's door? (The driver's door will lock and unlock manually with the key, but the passenger door should also open and close when you use the key in the driver's door via the central locking pump.) Do you hear the CLP turning on or off using the FOB or the key in the driver's door? It does sound like it's a CLP issue (not the wipers) since the turn signals are flashing, yet the doors aren't opening/closing when you use the FOB. When you reseated the connectors on the CLP, did you check the pins for tightness, corrosion, recession? They're such thin gauge, they can be damaged or rot away very easily.
Good Luck.
-Jerry

pizzaguy 02-06-2024 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by CyberCG (Post 986842)
... since I rescued it about 1 year ago.

I know the car is not a kitten, so I gotta ask, what do you mean "rescue"?

CyberCG 02-07-2024 06:23 AM

I cleaned the CLP pins with spray contact cleaner and a tooth brush. No bent pins. No notable corrosion.
Unlocking the driver door with the key only unlocks the driver door. Same when locking. The console Lock/Unlock switch does nothing now. It worked prior to this problem.
I don't hear any type of noise from the CLP.
Using the remote does not flash the lights since I performed the Battery Reset procedure. It did prior.
But, the car will start right up and can be driven so the Skreem recognizes the FOB RF chip, but the FOB registration may have been lost with the Battery Reset.

CyberCG 02-07-2024 06:26 AM

I call it my Rescue Crossfire, because the owner was not using it, was dirty, had clear coat damage, etc.
Mechanically and electrically, everything worked aside from some bad turn signal bulbs.

CyberCG 02-07-2024 12:12 PM

No DTC codes were set.
Looking at the schematics, the Skreem, CLP and BCM are all involved in the lock/unlock functions. The BCM is also involved with the wipers and turn signals. I going to test the CAN connection between the BCM and the CLP today.
Question: Are the BCMs different between a coupe and a roadster? I suspect they might be.

pizzaguy 02-07-2024 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by CyberCG (Post 986908)
No DTC codes were set.
Looking at the schematics, the Skreem, CLP and BCM are all involved in the lock/unlock functions. The BCM is also involved with the wipers and turn signals. I going to test the CAN connection between the BCM and the CLP today.
Question: Are the BCMs different between a coupe and a roadster? I suspect they might be.

I know the CLP/SSMs are all the same between all Crossfires. (Surprised me)
I want to say BCMs are the same but I can't say that for sure.

Sounds like your battery disconnect erased the sync between FOB and SKREEM Remote Entry function - which is very odd. I've had my battery disconnect for three weeks at a time and never once had to resync.
If you turn the key in the lock in the door, ALL locks should follow that. Also, the alarm should be disabled by that function, same as the FOB.

So if you can turn the key in the door and lock / unlock as well as activate and disarm the alarm, I'd focus on the CLP/SSM. If the system does not arm/disarm wiht the key in the door, its kinda hard to say if its SKREEM or CLP/SSM.
And yes, the BCM does play a role between the two. But I have a VERY hard time believing that a battery disconnect would cause the FOB sync to disappear.

There is something else at play here. Any chance of rodent damage SOMEWHERE to the wiring harness? How old is the battery?

onehundred80 02-07-2024 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 986910)

Sounds like your battery disconnect erased the sync between FOB and SKREEM Remote Entry function - which is very odd. I've had my battery disconnect for three weeks at a time and never once had to resync.
If you turn the key in the lock in the door, ALL locks should follow that. Also, the alarm should be disabled by that function, same as the FOB.

So if you can turn the key in the door and lock / unlock as well as activate and disarm the alarm, I'd focus on the CLP/SSM. If the system does not arm/disarm wiht the key in the door, its kinda hard to say if its SKREEM or CLP/SSM.
And yes, the BCM does play a role between the two. But I have a VERY hard time believing that a battery disconnect would cause the FOB sync to disappear.

There is something else at play here. Any chance of rodent damage SOMEWHERE to the wiring harness? How old is the battery?

I believe that the BCM’s are model specific, at the very least there are two models, one for the SRT and another for the rest.

CyberCG 02-07-2024 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 986910)

I don't know how old the battery is. It came with the car. At rest after not having been driven for days, the battery reads 11.9v. With the engine running, the charging system reads 14.5v. and the battery voltage increases.
Unlocking/locking the driver door with the key, only unlocks/locks that door only. The passenger door and trunk stay in whatever state they are in with no change. The console lock/unlock button no longer works. I think that switch is connected to the BCM so the switch not working still could be either the BCM or the CLP.
I asked about the comparability of the BCM because some Xfires are convertible and some are coupes. The BCMs could be running different firmware specific to the coupe vs roadster.
I tried ohming the CAN between the BCM and the CLP, but the car is a 2006 and the 2005 Shop Manual showing which pins to measure across don't match the car.
I want to check the schematics tonight to see all the functions the BCM is involved in, then see which of those still work. I'm not sure if that info will be useful or not.
I checked for damaged harness and so far have not found any.
I may need to just bite the bullet and replace the CLP and go from there.

red_2005_convertible 02-07-2024 09:16 PM

Hi CyberCG,
If what Pizzaguy says is true, that all CLP's are the same, then the CAN bus pins on the 2005 and 2006 are the same. The wire harness colors might be different. If you back probe the connector, you should read 60 ohms if everything is fine (meaning the wiring is fine). If you disconnect the connector from the CLP to probe it from the front, it should read 120 ohms. Did you ever probe pins 2 and 4 to see if they were getting power?
-Jerry

CyberCG 02-08-2024 10:52 AM

Pins 2 and 4 are getting power. I must be reading the CLP connector wrong, because pin 8 does not have a wire attached and should according to the wiring diagram. Maybe I'm letting myself go down a rabbit hole.
Since the cars are getting older, I've decided to replace the CLP and the BCM. It never hurts to have spares.
I've found a BCM with the identical numbers, except the week and year build date, The hardware and software numbers match.
I'll also pick up a replacement CLP.
I will post results.

CyberCG 02-11-2024 02:46 PM

Well boys and girls. The offending component has been identified.
I replaced the BCM with one having the same hardware version and the same software version.
Wipers work. Console lock switch works. Turn Signals work AND the car allowed me to resync the FOB!!! Even the FOB will unlock and lock the doors!

Who knew?! The BCM has its little fingers into much more than suspected.
Now to the next. I noticed while testing the new-to-me BCM that my high beams do not work.
I'm gonna save that for another day, but am open to common causes if you know.
Thanks for your help!!

ZERACER 02-11-2024 02:58 PM

Thanks for reporting back, it may help others.

pizzaguy 02-11-2024 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by CyberCG (Post 986991)
Well boys and girls. The offending component has been identified.
I replaced the BCM with one having the same hardware version and the same software version.
Wipers work. Console lock switch works. Turn Signals work AND the car allowed me to resync the FOB!!! Even the FOB will unlock and lock the doors!

Who knew?! The BCM has its little fingers into much more than suspected.
Now to the next. I noticed while testing the new-to-me BCM that my high beams do not work.
I'm gonna save that for another day, but am open to common causes if you know.
Thanks for your help!!

I really did not think the BCM would be it, but the BCM IS involved in:

Locking/unlocking
Turn signals
Wipers

All SKREEM to CLP/SSM functions pass thru the BCM (explains your locking issue).
Turn signal function is a BCM funcion (explains your turn signal issue)
WIpers are a BCM function (explains the wiper issue).

But after 14 years here, Iv'e never seen THIS failure mode. As our cars age, we are going to discover more and more oddball issues like this. You are to be thanked for coming back to "close the loop" so we all learn.

I drew this up some time ago, it shows how the door switches, SKREEM, FOB and CLP/SSM all work together. Note how ALL signals from FOB, door lock cylinder or console lock switch go thru the BCM:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...4e462412fa.png