CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   TSBs and How-To Articles (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/)
-   -   Strange Noise From Rear? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/20932-strange-noise-rear.html)

addie18 01-11-2008 10:50 PM

Strange Noise From Rear?

I test drove a crossfire today, that I hope to buy, and there was an odd whining noise coming from the rear. I was just wondering if anyone has expierienced this? It only happens when you rest your foot against the gas pedal. Thank you for any advice/input!

sonoronos 01-11-2008 11:03 PM

Re: Strange Noise From Rear?

Originally Posted by addie18
you rest your foot against the gas pedal.

Can you please explain the phrase "resting your foot against the pedal" more clearly?

Are you trying to convey to us that the whining noise happens when you are accelerating?

Chris L. 01-12-2008 04:35 AM

Sometimes when my wife is in the car....I hear an odd whining sound when I put the gas pedal all the way to the floor?

addie18 01-12-2008 11:24 AM

I was neither accelerating nor had my foot off the pedal. It happened while I was maintaining speed.

Shawnkey 01-12-2008 11:44 AM

It is the rear differential teeth mateing, since it's not at a load, but not dec elerating, you do get some noise. If it is real loud, and gets louder with raises in speed, there might be a problem. If you buy make sure there is a transferable powertrain warranty, that will cover it for 7 years 70k miles.
Shawn

Shawnkey 01-12-2008 12:34 PM

I though I had already replied to this post once before, There only needs to be one post made in the appropriate sub-forum

SRT-6 Steve 01-12-2008 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L.
Sometimes when my wife is in the car....I hear an odd whining sound when I put the gas pedal all the way to the floor?

That's funny. Does it stop when you leave off the gas?:p

Steve

SRT-6 Steve 01-12-2008 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by addie18
I was neither accelerating nor had my foot off the pedal. It happened while I was maintaining speed.

Mine does this around 62 - 63 MPH then goes away over or below this speed. Not sure why. Probably just a certain harmonic issue when things are just right. Don't think mine is an issue. It that the speed you noticed it?

Steve

addie18 01-12-2008 02:36 PM

Sorry about posting the question in two places. I origionally didn't realize that there was a mechanical forum. Thank you all for the answers. I was told that the 7/70,00 powertrain warranty is transferable to the 2nd owner and it is a one owner car.

Fenwick223 01-12-2008 04:36 PM

You definitely want it covered by the warranty because the repair is $3,300 - $3,500.

alfdoc 01-13-2008 12:23 AM

I know this my sound stupid but, Did you happen to see if the wing was deploying {55 to 65 MPH depending on the car} at the time? I have had to disassemble mine and lube the actuator and linkage because it started to get a very loud wine to it. Also after i lubed it, i could hardy hear it deploy or stow it self. :D

addie18 01-15-2008 10:28 PM

I bought the car and got the warranty changed intomy name today. So thank you for all the info everyone.

DrMike 01-16-2008 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L.

I have same problem, couldn't find a recall for problem;)

Maxwell 01-16-2008 06:49 PM

I have heard this noise too, but it only occurs on this one street near my house, no other time do I hear the whine. Also my tires are down to the wear bars. I just find it strange that it only happens on this one street I take to go to work, :confused:

CALL911 01-16-2008 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shawnkey
It is the rear differential teeth mateing, since it's not at a load, but not dec elerating, you do get some noise. If it is real loud, and gets louder with raises in speed, there might be a problem. If you buy make sure there is a transferable powertrain warranty, that will cover it for 7 years 70k miles.
Shawn

I agree, Mine does the same thing. The reason you can hear it is because the rear diff. is right behind the bulk head and there is no separation between the passenger compartment and the trunk area. I would suspect that almost all rear diffs. make this noise, you just don't hear it because in most vehicles the rear diff. is separated by the trunk .

Stogey 01-17-2008 05:09 AM

All differenials make a whining noise, because our butts are almost sittin on the top of the Crossfires diff and we have this big sound amplifying space behind the bulk head is why I suspect the whine is so prevalent in our cars.

Has anyone considered swapping to a synthetic lube such as Redline High Shock in their differenials ?

Maxwell 01-17-2008 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stogey
All differenials make a whining noise, because our butts are almost sittin on the top of the Crossfires diff and we have this big sound amplifying space behind the bulk head is why I suspect the whine is so prevalent in our cars.

Has anyone considered swapping to a synthetic lube such as Redline High Shock in their differenials ?

yeah your probably right it's normal, since it's bolted to the cars chassis, that also transmits a droaning sound from the gears.