TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to take apart a key fob without destroying it!

Old 05-02-2018, 01:31 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: How to take apart a key fob without destroying it!

There are fob cases on eBay with and without the red lens. You have to look at the pictures. I have 3 xfs and have replaced all 6 fobs. First pair I bought had the lens, second pair did not. When I bought the last pair I paid closer attention to the pictures. The red lens really doesn’t provide much function anyway.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:26 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by JSK
There are fob cases on eBay with and without the red lens. You have to look at the pictures. I have 3 xfs and have replaced all 6 fobs. First pair I bought had the lens, second pair did not. When I bought the last pair I paid closer attention to the pictures. The red lens really doesn’t provide much function anyway.
Correct.
The red lens is just so you can see a red light behind it. The light shows that the batteries are OK.
Radio waves are used to operate the locks and not any kind of infra-red signal.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"When you put your key into the ignition, the fob’s transponder responds to your car’s ignition and replies with a special code, keeping your ignition’s kill switch from activating. (In other words, it allows you to start your car!)" ..

So, is there a way to delete/modify the "kill switch" procedure, so that your key will start the car without the transponder checking the code ?? - Software/hardware modification ??
Thanks,
-Saul

Old 08-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Following, we would ALL like to have that answer

Old 08-12-2018, 11:05 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saul Klein
So, is there a way to delete/modify the "kill switch" procedure, so that your key will start the car without the transponder checking the code ?? - Software/hardware modification ??
Thanks,
-Saul
The short version of this answer is no.

The long version is that nothing is impossible. If you'd like to remove the SKREEM module and reprogram the ignition sequence and internal code of the ECU, then sure, you could remove it. It's all part of the anti-theft design of the car. So they deliberately make it very hard to get around.

Though, I suppose if you wanted to jerry rig it, you could remove the transponder from your key fob (that's the little black chip that's glued near the front of the fob - separate from the circuit board). Then glue the transponder inside/near the ring around the ignition key hole. Then the transponder would always be there, and always answer correctly when queried. Then you could start the ignition with any physical key that could turn the lock. In fact, you could remove the physical lock and replace it with a push button if you were crafty. But then it would be very simple to steal your car... so there's that...

Last edited by tom2112; 08-12-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:14 AM

Hmmm, and can transponder respond without being powered ?
Thanks,
-Saul

Old 08-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Thanks,
-Saul
No, it is excited by the powered halo and responds with its particular code.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:34 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks,
-Saul
Yes. In fact, it is not powered inside of your fob. Notice that the transponder isn't connected to the fob's circuit board and its battery. It works on similar technology that RFID tags use - those tags that they put on item in a store to keep shoplifters from stealing things. The car provides the power through the ring that surrounds the ignition.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by tom2112
Yes. In fact, it is not powered inside of your fob. Notice that the transponder isn't connected to the fob's circuit board and its battery. It works on similar technology that RFID tags use - those tags that they put on item in a store to keep shoplifters from stealing things. The car provides the power through the ring that surrounds the ignition.
The answer has to be no, put it in the middle of a field and it just does nothing. Put it close to the halo and it responds when the halo is powered up by the SKREEM. So it needs power to work, but gets no power from the fob as you say.
There is a thread that shows how to install a push button start. The chip is place by the halo, the system uses its own chip to make the system theft proof.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-12-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:54 PM

Ok, If we can't by-pass the SKREEM process, I guess no reason, not to just keep stock setup with key-fob, etc. …
… and hope no problems for 200,000 miles ..
Thanks,
-Saul

Old 08-12-2018, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last time I went to a Chrysler dealership (in Reno, NV) for something they said they had nothing to do with Crossfires any longer. The guy behind the counter was a jerk towards me and I do not want to go back. They did not have or could not order the tool that closes the convertible top (I got one through Mercedes) if it would not close automatically and they did not list the convertible top in their database.

Is there another Chrysler source or an entity outside of Chrysler who could make me an exact duplicate key to the original for my car when needed? I am down to one working key. I have the loop on the key epoxied closed and the red emergency part of the key cover is torn off...so it's it's in pretty bad shape.

What should a new key cost?

Last edited by David M; 08-12-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by David M
The last time I went to a Chrysler dealership (in Reno, NV) for something they said they had nothing to do with Crossfires any longer. The guy behind the counter was a jerk towards me and I do not want to go back. They did not have or could order the tool that closes the convertible top if it would not close automatically and they did not list the convertible top in their database.

Would another Chrysler source or whoever make me an exact duplicate key for my car if needed? I am down to one working key.
Contact NeedsWings for a new key, they are the best company to use.
Needswing.com

Old 08-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Won't Needswings need the cars VIN to program a new key and are they authorized by Fiat/Chrysler to have those codes? I'm just curious how it works.

Last edited by David M; 08-12-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by David M
Won't Needswings need the cars VIN to program a new key and are they authorized by Fiat/Chrysler to have those codes? I'm just curious how it works.
You have to provide the a copy of the title I believe.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you very much for this thread, just needed it to replace broken key in a good fob.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:31 PM

Well - I managed to switch out one key fob shell, as the original case was not glued.

The second one was glued so well it was impossible to remove the circuit board without prying and cutting of the case which resulted in the board being damaged and not working.

The Transponder is fine and starts the car, but the transmitter doesn't lock / unlock - it's dead.

Any idea where I can buy a key fob with a good circuit board?

I only see shells on eBay and Amazon

Old 12-21-2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scotto97

I only see shells on eBay and Amazon
That’s a new one, changing technology I guess, Eliza Doolittle could only see sea shells on the sea shore as I recall.��

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-21-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

This month (so far...),
This thread along with amazon and ebay china cases destroyed 5 good (but ugly) working keys for 5 crossfire owners that i know of. That is 5 x $650 keys destroyed this month in hopes of a cleaner looking case.

I advise to leave an ugly functional key alone and intact

I will post back end of January with that months totals, actually they are probably more killed by this than i know of, that is just the people that call and tell me about it

Last edited by NeedsWings; 12-23-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

BTW, love ya Tom, i'll buy ya a beer in Fontana

Old 12-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Rob,

Thanks for some great advice on these key FOBs! Definitely leaving my 2 FOBs alone. One looks brand new and one has the red panic piece deteriorated. Ain't gonna' change it!! Just keep fresh batteries in 'em!

Regards,

Quick Reply: How to take apart a key fob without destroying it!