TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

Here’s how I got a tone sound when locking and unlocking the Crossfire with the key fob remote for less than $5 and a just a little bit of work!

The short version is that you install a 12 VDC low current ‘tone’ buzzer across the coil of the Remote Keyless Entry Relay. This is the relay that blinks the front & rear signal lights 1 time when the doors are unlocked and 3 times when locked by the remote. The buzzer needs to be installed in parallel with the relay coil, not the relay contacts. If installed across the contacts, it would make noise anytime the lights are on! Not what we want!

Figure 1 attachment is a wiring diagram of the ‘Tone’ Buzzer installation.

I used a Radio Shack Piezo Buzzer (P/N 273-059, Picture 1 attached). It is a very small and gives off a not so loud 2700 Hz tone that is audible, but not obnoxious, and it only consumes 10ma of current (.010 amps). Radio shack has a wide variety this type of buzzer. They give off various sounds at various volumes depending on which one is used. I also, tried a 273-060. It was louder than I wanted and a bit higher in frequency but is also a good choice. Here’s a link to the Radio Shack stuff:
http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032266&cp=2032058.2032230
I picked one of the cheap ones at the bottom of the list. It needs to be capable of operating at 12 VDC. I recommend a low current type. Say 50ma or less, just because that’s all I tried, and it will be installed in parallel with the relay coil, not the contacts. Anyway, you could experiment with different sounds to get what you want. I just found that the little cheap one met my needs. See the next post (after SVO's Reply )for more about the installation with more pictures and diagrams.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pic 1 -Piezo Tone Buzzer.JPG (127.8 KB, 1151 views)
Attached Files

Last edited by corfire; 03-26-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 PM
svo
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

Good Going! I'm sure this will make many people happy.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Forum Regular

Here are some more details about the installation with diagram and picture attachments:
The Remote Keyless Entry Relay is located under the cover on the under hood fuse panel. You need to remove the panel lid & cover, not just the lid to find it (See Pic 2 & 3).

The relay is on the driver’s side of the panel closest to the windshield (Pic 4 & Figure 2). I added the ‘tone’ buzzer inside the panel near the front and ran the connecting wires between the two staying clear of the fuses.

To make connections to the relay, I pulled the relay out and made my two connections to pins 85 & 86 on the bottom of the relay using small gage solid wire that I had on hand. In the circuit, pin 85 is connected to 12 VDC via fuse 35. Pin 86 is switched to ground as the relay is operated. I wrapped and squeezed the stripped solid wire around the pins, then dressed the ‘tails’ up the side of the relay on each side and taped them under tension against the relay (Pics 5 & 6). I decided not to solder them to the pins, because the connection seemed to be good and the buzzer is very low current (10ma). You could solder them, and I might if the connection proves to be intermittent later. However, one must be very careful not to apply excessive heat, because the internal relay pin connections could become damaged. Just a warning to proceed with soldering at your own risk. Of course, all of what you will be doing is at your own risk! By the way, you could make the connections in other ways. This just seemed to be the easiest to me. Here’s another warning. If you decide to use stranded wire, the stripped wire should be twisted and flooded with solder before trying to wrap it onto the relay pins to make sure that no loose strands short to other pins on the relay.

I did make solder connections between the relay and buzzer wires, and covered with heat shrink (Pics 7 & 8). Any other insulated connection method could be used. It would probably be a good idea to pull fuse 35 before re-installing the relay with the buzzer connected. However, I did not! Once the relay is re-inserted, the buzzer should make some noise along with blinking of the lights when the doors are locked or unlocked using the key fob.

THIS IS ACTUALLY EASIER THAN IT SOUNDS! Just pull the relay, connect the buzzer, and re-install it. The buzzer can be placed under the fuse block cover or outside the cover if you want it to be louder.

Attached Images
Pic 2 - Fuse Block Location.JPG (257.2 KB, 2119 views)
Pic 3 - Fuse Block Cover.JPG (123.9 KB, 1707 views)
Pic 6 -Another Relay Wire Pic.JPG (478.5 KB, 1840 views)
Pic 7 -Relay with Tone Buzzer.JPG (478.9 KB, 1861 views)
Pic 8 -Relay Wired to Buzzer.JPG (475.5 KB, 1779 views)
Attached Files

Last edited by corfire; 03-26-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:42 AM
svo
Forum Regular

Applause!!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job corfire.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:05 AM

Wow, I can't believe this was not discovered sooner. I'm headed to radio shack when they open and will reply later on my results. I'll be chirping at the dragon!

Old 03-27-2008, 04:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
Wow, I can't believe this was not discovered sooner. I'm headed to radio shack when they open and will reply later on my results. I'll be chirping at the dragon!
It'll sound like the Airborne on D-Day!

Me too!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Forum Regular

Outstanding job Corfire. Very well done.

Now, who will have the most interesing chirp sound?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Brilliant!! I'll be doing that in the next couple of days. A special thanks for the detaled pictures as they're the sort of thing that makes me go "well duh, that's simple!"

Old 03-27-2008, 09:24 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Great job CORFIRE.

Frank, maybe you should buy two so you can install mine at the Dragon . Electric is to me what loading pics is for you .

The following users liked this post:
dennyandnancy (05-19-2021)
Old 03-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Forum Regular

Great job corfire, I'll do this on mine this weekend.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:42 AM

CORFIRE- many many thanks! This works great! It took me about 10 minutes with great results. I used a radio shack stock number 273-060 which has a frequency of 3500 Hz. The tone is a little higher than corfire which in turn gives it a higher chirp. This is a great mod if you won't a chirp.
FP- No problem, I guess this means you will be joining us at the dragon. I'll stop and pick-up the buzzer this week and do the needed wiring. It should only take a few minutes to install at the dragon. Gary if you would like one let me know so I can get you one also.

Last edited by crossfirefrank; 03-27-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

CORFIRE- many many thanks! This works great! It took me about 10 minutes with great results. I used a radio shack stock number 273-060 which has a frequency of 3500 Hz. The tone is a little higher than corfire which in turn gives it a higher chirp. This is a great mod if you won't a chirp.
I picked up the same one at lunch today. Will have it installed shortly after I get home this afternoon.

CORFIRE - please accept my thanks in advance.

The manager gave me a little tip about the piezo buzzers.....if they are too loud, you can 'muffle' them a little by putting a piece of scotch tape over the hole....or electrical tape to muffle it even more.

Last edited by danimal; 03-27-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danimal
I picked up the same one at lunch today. Will have it installed shortly after I get home this afternoon.

CORFIRE - please accept my thanks in advance.

The manager gave me a little tip about the piezo buzzers.....if they are too loud, you can 'muffle' them a little by putting a piece of scotch tape over the hole....or electrical tape to muffle it even more.
I am glad to hear that some are doing the mod. I want to mention that I did move my buzzer outside of the cover. It wasn't quite loud enough under the fuse block cover with traffic noise, etc. Some might want a louder higher frequency sound like the one that crossfirefrank used in the previous post. There are several choices available at Radio Shack.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:38 PM

Corfire...a stroke of brilliance...indeed. Just did the mod to both cars. Thank You.
Cliff

Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

FP- No problem, I guess this means you will be joining us at the dragon. I'll stop and pick-up the buzzer this week and do the needed wiring. It should only take a few minutes to install at the dragon. Gary if you would like one let me know so I can get you one also.
Hey Frank go ahead and pick up one for me to.
By the way this won't be the only churpin' going on at the Dragon.
I imagine there will be some tires churpin' to.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
Great job CORFIRE.

Frank, maybe you should buy two so you can install mine at the Dragon . Electric is to me what loading pics is for you .
FP.... does this confirm ya coming with to the Dragon then ??

Old 03-27-2008, 03:08 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
FP.... does this confirm ya coming with to the Dragon then ??
It's looking promising.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:53 PM

Hey Gary and FP, we can plan are buzzer install work-shop just before our tailgate party Thursday night. I'll bring the buzzers you bring the beer.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I picked up one of these buzzers at Radio Shack today and just spent the last 20 minutes or so installing it. That time included gathering up everything I needed and putting everything away when I was done. I mounted the buzzer outside the fuse box with some double sided 3M tape, securing it to the adjacent body panel.

I really like how it isn't terribly loud and annoying, just enough to confirm that the doors are locked/unlocked. Once again a big THANK YOU to corfire for the how-to on this!

Quick Reply: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?