CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   TSBs and How-To Articles (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/)
-   -   Liftgate...grrr (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/26637-liftgate-grrr.html)

spouseofhead 07-28-2008 05:25 PM

Liftgate...grrr

My liftgate is driving me crazy!!! The rattling noise is getting worse... Anyone get theirs fixed at a dealership? How much is this gonna hurt?:mad:

InfernoRedXfire 07-28-2008 05:48 PM

Re: Liftgate...grrrr

Originally Posted by spouseofhead
My liftgate is driving me crazy!!! The rattling noise is getting worse... Anyone get theirs fixed at a dealership? How much is this gonna hurt?:mad:

There is a TSB out for that. It replaces the rod in the latch mechanism. Or, you can do it yourself with electrical tape wrapped around the rod.

manisusmc 07-28-2008 06:39 PM

there are 2 rubber bumpers that when adjusted will stop the rattling all together. just open the truck and you'll see them one on each side. i'm guessing that this will be something that will have to be done once a year or so because they will losen again, but that's a guess so far mine haven't been rattling at all

Brent 07-28-2008 07:20 PM

With my car adjusting the bumpers never really stopped the rattling. Wrapping the catch with tape did stop the rattling. So Spouseofhead should try that or else, if his car is still under warranty, have the dealer replace the catch with one coated in plastic.

BrianBrave 07-28-2008 07:53 PM

This stuff worked for me - been over a year now and not a sound - adjust the gate stop out as far as you can and add this stuff. Use the "stiff" side.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...Velcro_Fly.jpg

PhillySRT 07-28-2008 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by spouseofhead

I know its been said many a time on this board on various threads, but wrapping 4 turns of electrical tape on the latch part attached to the car really solved this problem. My hatch was rattling like crazy and now its rock solid after the tape on the latch and the stop adjustment as referenced above in the pics.

sonoronos 07-29-2008 07:43 AM

I also wrapped my latch-bar with electrical tape.

Problem fixed and not a single sound!

BrianBrave 07-29-2008 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
I also wrapped my latch-bar with electrical tape.

Problem fixed and not a single sound!

I gave tape a try and it worked - for a while - and then the tape started to shread. Perhaps I use the trunk to much; but electrical tape is cheap and easy to replace.

I think there's a plastic cover out there for the latch-bar that would offer a permanent solution.

The rattling can be annoying.

SpaceManSpiff 07-29-2008 12:19 PM

Re: Liftgate...grrr

I tried adjusting the rubber stops and it worked for about a week. Then I tried the velcro thing and it didn't help at all. Funny thing is when I had the rubber stops moved as far back as possible it made it better, rather then having them closer in. Ill try the tape idea, if it works Ill find a rubber hose to wrap over it and glue it in place.

DrMike 07-29-2008 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
This stuff worked for me - been over a year now and not a sound - adjust the gate stop out as far as you can and add this stuff. Use the "stiff" side.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...Velcro_Fly.jpg

:p Agree, best solution

BLKFIN 07-29-2008 08:56 PM

Gotta love electrical tape and velcro....seems we all had this issue!

SpaceManSpiff 08-02-2008 09:14 AM

I tried the tape idea since the velcro didn't work for me. No more rattle. Tape works! :D

bigbengt67 08-02-2008 10:59 AM

Mines taped up too, been good for 3 months now.

rplagens 10-09-2008 04:01 AM

Can anyone post a picture of what is being taped. I have been having the same problem. I have adjusted out the rubber stops on either side of the hatch but that only works for a little while. I am not quite sure what you mean by taping the latch bar.

Stogey 10-09-2008 05:48 AM

I don't have a picture but if you open the hatch and look down into where the latch mechanism seats to the latch bar, you'll see what everyone's talkin about. Just wrap the latch bar, rattling problem solved ! :D

Just my Dos Centavos

rplagens 10-13-2008 10:47 AM

Did the tape and it eliminated the noise completely. Drove it about 150 miles on Sat. and not a peep......

Voyager 10-13-2008 12:31 PM

yup i taped it at the beginning of the year and the same tape has lasted the entire time. i use my trunk on average twice a day. it is by far the best solution. i used the thick electrical tape. i felt that would be the best for long term

j-fire 10-13-2008 05:58 PM

I Did The Velcro And Electrical Tape, It Worked 'great!!!!'

No More Noise At All!!!!

Thanks To Whomever Posted This!!!!

Voyager 10-13-2008 07:29 PM

you probably dont need to do the velcro.

j-fire 10-13-2008 07:48 PM

depends..... i did velcro FIRST, and it was GONE. added the tape on the latch just in case.