TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Replacing Cupholder with Storage Bin / HOW TO

Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replacing Cupholder with Storage Bin / HOW TO

I would like to fix the cup holder so that it stays DOWN. What is the trick to getting it to do that? Do I have to dismantle the console? Thanks.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usprb1976
Hi all... Thanks to SkineeMinee for the detailed cupholder removal instructions. I thought I would photograph the process to help others dealing with this. I knocked the front part of my cupholder off, and it will not stay closed without that part (annoying). So I decided to take it apart and disable the spring. Once I got it apart though, I realized I could fix it. Now it is back to being good as new and does not get stuck anymore. Make sure you clean all the parts well once it is opened up. Spilled soda = sticky parts. Good luck out there.
I repaired my cup holder in 20 minutes, with $.29 in parts. My cup holder had the hinge pins broken off, where it rotates up and down. I drilled a #40 pilot hole through the outside of the case that hold the cup holder, aligned with the holes where the hinge pins seated, and a #40 hole centered on the X shaped boss on each side of the cup holder, then drilled a clearance hole through the outside flange to allow the #6 x 1/2" screw head to pass through the outside flange on one side, and seat on the inner flange. The #6 x 1/2" metal screws replace the hinge pins and everything is good.

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (02-02-2023)
Old 08-21-2015, 05:22 PM

Replaced the cupholder with the bin and the instructions made it easy. Thanks for that! Did have to use the dish soap on the parking brake handle tip. Like it 100% better.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Roadster owners who have replaced their cupholder - How did you deal with the yellow pneumatic line that runs to the rear of the console? I tried pulling the
line at the connector and it won't budge.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by harbor
Roadster owners who have replaced their cupholder - How did you deal with the yellow pneumatic line that runs to the rear of the console? I tried pulling the
line at the connector and it won't budge.
Just struggled with a mirror and small starbit screwdriver to remove the back 2 screws holding the cup holder in place.
Believe me, A LOT OF FUN. LOL
Come down to Houston Texas and I will do it for you. LOL

Old 09-19-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by TerryR
Just struggled with a mirror and small starbit screwdriver to remove the back 2 screws holding the cup holder in place.
Believe me, A LOT OF FUN. LOL
Come down to Houston Texas and I will do it for you. LOL
Terry - It might be cheaper if I fly you to Michigan. Pack your mirror!

Old 09-19-2015, 07:30 PM

I didn't take the connector off, just raised the console high as it would go and blindly used the starbit driver to remove the back screws I couldn't see. Just felt for them.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by leaddog2015
I didn't take the connector off, just raised the console high as it would go and blindly used the starbit driver to remove the back screws I couldn't see. Just felt for them.
ld2015 - Thanks, I'll try that. Actually, that's how I do most of my car/home improvement projects.....

Old 09-19-2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by harbor
Terry - It might be cheaper if I fly you to Michigan. Pack your mirror!
Believe me, it is a pain in the ***. I travelled to Kerrville, Texas, about 250 miles away, to do it for a close friend. Removing the Center console Etc, took about 5-10 minutes, to finally remove the cup holder took about 2 hours more, mainly because you can't see what you are doing. GOOD LUCK wish I could help.
Putting in the New bin unit took about 5 seconds.
I am 70 years old, and lying on your back messing around with a star driver in one hand and a mirror in the other, is DEFINITELY not FUN. LOL. If you were close enough for me to do it for you, believe me, I would.
Send the flight money LOL

Old 09-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryR
Believe me, it is a pain in the ***. I travelled to Kerrville, Texas, about 250 miles away, to do it for a close friend. Removing the Center console Etc, took about 5-10 minutes, to finally remove the cup holder took about 2 hours more, mainly because you can't see what you are doing. GOOD LUCK wish I could help.
Putting in the New bin unit took about 5 seconds.
I am 70 years old, and lying on your back messing around with a star driver in one hand and a mirror in the other, is DEFINITELY not FUN. LOL. If you were close enough for me to do it for you, believe me, I would.
Send the flight money LOL
Used my cell phone taking pics to find the screws on the wife's roadster.. Still have to do mine but it's going to be a little more fun as I do have some hissing going on under there with the locking - unlocking..

Old 06-20-2017, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
The ( base) model 1997-98 Saturn S car has a console tool bin almost identical to our high dollar bin replacement. Saturns base car model doesn't have electric windows or electric door locks,so it's got a cheaper console with pocket bin. The base model has two different style console bins. One like ours and the other style has a pocket and coin compination that I don't like. The pocket compination one is two deep to be useful plus the coin slot just takes up useful space. Saturns car pocket bin is 1/8 inch longer than ours. Other wise,It's identical as far as I can tell. If you hand file our console out 1/8 inch toward's the coupes mirror adjustment control,then the Saturn's car bin will fit in like factory apperance. The salvage yards are full of Saturn cars. Just put your fingers inside the bin and pull up hard. No tools necessary to remove. Just make sure it's a base poor man's Saturn car. I paid 50 cents for my like new console bin from Pull-A-Part. (You must remove our console to completely discard the cup holder). Squirrel Crusher
G'Day from Oz
Saturn s did not come to Australia, so having no luck sourcing this car bin on line
can you help as Im driven crazy with the cup holder constantly poping up
Graeme

Old 09-23-2018, 12:05 PM

I know this thread is a little old, But I am looking for the trip piece that surrounds the cup holder. My convertible top switch is also located in front of the cup holder and the plastic clip that is molded into this trim piece on the underneath side has broken and the switch pushes down into the console as it is not supported any longer. Does anyone have any information on where I can find this piece, or what it would be called for that matter. Maybe there is a better fix for this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:33 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Pseemayer
I know this thread is a little old, But I am looking for the trip piece that surrounds the cup holder. My convertible top switch is also located in front of the cup holder and the plastic clip that is molded into this trim piece on the underneath side has broken and the switch pushes down into the console as it is not supported any longer. Does anyone have any information on where I can find this piece, or what it would be called for that matter. Maybe there is a better fix for this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.
Better late than never, you can buy the part on eBay at times, but mostly they are coupe parts without the extra switch. You could glue the switch in place or fabricate a part that held the switch. Find a piece of suitable plastic ABS preferred and glue it with J B Weld Plastic Bonder. You could permanently bond the switch in place with the same glue.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,
My cup holder had a damage and didn't close as it should. I took it apart and did a modification of the stopper.

Here I have photos from how I did it and links to Youtube where I got ideas how to fix this:
2005 years Chrysler Crossfire: Interior

It worked for a while, but then unlatched the tape. I thought the tape was very strong. But easy fix, I just glue it together next time when taking it apart.

/Lars

Old 06-15-2019, 05:43 PM

onehundred80 your "Console removal and bin/cup holder installation" is great and thanks for posting it with pictures. One thing I am having difficulty with is is that I have an automatic not a stick. Do you know how to remove the **** on the shifter for an automatic?

Old 06-15-2019, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by gatormustang
onehundred80 your "Console removal and bin/cup holder installation" is great and thanks for posting it with pictures. One thing I am having difficulty with is is that I have an automatic not a stick. Do you know how to remove the **** on the shifter for an automatic?
You unscrew the bottom nut just like the manual gearbox.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:42 PM

Where can I purchase the bin ? Part #??

Old 08-12-2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by wkoczara
You cannot buy the original OEM part, you can buy a printed copy on eBay.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by wkoczara
Contact this eBay seller

Last edited by harbor; 08-14-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear SkineeMinee:
Thank you very much for your research and posting to help other frustrated Crossfire owners, I too have the same problem, although mine came with the car, I'm a recent proud owner of a 2004 Crossfire and though the car is in really good shape, the cup-holder was already broken. My problem is with being able to purchase the replacement bin. There are no MOPAR stores in Las Cruces NM or nearby El Paso Texas. How do I go about obtaining the needed bin item?

Quick Reply: Replacing Cupholder with Storage Bin / HOW TO