TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 10-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The terminals that have to be re soldered appear to be steel, mine were black and I tried to file them to clean them up prior to soldering.
Pizzaguy, have you come across steel terminals like this before?
Not sure if you have tried this or not. A simple way to test for steel is with a magnet. Steel being a ferrous material will be attracted by a magnet. I checked my RCM, that I still have the cover removed from. The magnet shows no indication of steel in the area of cold solder joints. There ARE indications of steel where the relays attach to the PCB. That's to be expected since relays work by creating magnetic fields

Regards
Tom Fineran

Old 10-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info Tom, by the way welcome to the group. As you can see there are some tough nuts to crack - glad you didn't run away after your first posts! It is actually a great place with lots of helpful people - glad you have a sense of humour! Onehundred80 could have replied to the thread without quoting your post and saved a small battle. I am usually afraid to to post to threads as I have PTSD ( Post to Thread Stress Disorder) What are you driving? Ron

Old 10-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by tfineran
Not sure if you have tried this or not. A simple way to test for steel is with a magnet. Steel being a ferrous material will be attracted by a magnet. I checked my RCM, that I still have the cover removed from. The magnet shows no indication of steel in the area of cold solder joints. There ARE indications of steel where the relays attach to the PCB. That's to be expected since relays work by creating magnetic fields

Regards
Tom Fineran
Your comments seem to be directed at Novices.
No, I never did try them with a magnet, I just filed them and re-soldered the joints. They are tough buggers to tin though as you do not want to apply too much heat.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Reliableron
What are you driving? Ron
Ron, I'm driving a 2005 Crossfire Coupe, Black and basic. I worked for DaimlerChrysler during the period the cars were sold NEW. No lease was allowed for Crossfires, Vipers or Prowlers. So I bought a Crossfire used after I retired.

I don't run away very easily. Sometimes I talk over peoples heads. Education is to blame for that. BS Physics LSU (Go Tigers) and MS Industrial Management CMU (Go Chippewas). Education also gets in the way of understanding points others are trying to make. The example in this case is Acid Core Solder. I don't own any. Never owned any. I don't do plumbing work beyond a faucet washer replacement. Everything else is for Plumbers.

I also own a 2008 Jeep Compass. I'm finding that the Crossfire is twice as costly to maintain as the Jeep. The question is "Is it twice as much fun to drive?".

Regards
Tom Fineran

Old 10-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Another example of bad joints. (BigWho)

Old 10-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
Another example of bad joints. (BigWho)

did the solder just not stick, or did heat and vibration do this...and yes, I know I need to get mine done....lol

Old 10-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom - The Crossfire is hands down more fun and with the help of the forum it keeps the costs down. You may have to be a bit more involved with the Crossfire but for the most part the fixes are relatively inexpensive - like the RCM...

Tighed1 - I have had no RCM problems but with pictures that look that bad I better go pull mine and check it today!

Old 10-23-2010, 03:12 PM

Tighed1 - I have had no RCM problems but with pictures that look that bad I better go pull mine and check it today!
PLEASE remember that you need magnification to see the bad joints.
Don't want someone to look with the naked eye and think all is well.

You don't need magnifcation to see the problem some are having with the Air Pump relay. Checkout these pics.

Should look like this:

Last edited by tighed1; 10-23-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

PLEASE remember that you need magnification to see the bad joints.
Don't want someone to look with the naked eye and think all is well.

You don't need magnifcation to see the problem some are having with the Air Pump relay. Checkout these pics.

Should look like this:

I really need to check these things out....doing it tomorrow for sure before the cold sets in...

Old 10-23-2010, 05:17 PM

What are you driving? Ron
Ron, what are the COMMON problems with the Crossfire? I came across this forum when my dealership sold me a new battery to correct the "Mystery No Start Problem". The very next day after having the NEW battery installed, my Crossfire had the "Mystery No Start Problem" again. That's when I concluded that the Factory Service Manual was not directing the Mechanic to the REAL PROBLEM! How many potential problems am I facing that the Factory Service Manual doesn't mention?

If you've never seen the Factory Service Manual, It lists out some basic symptoms to which the Mechanic provides "YES" or "NO" answers. He finally reaches a component level item which he adjusts or replaces. I have one for the 2004 Crossfire in pdf format if you would like to see it.

Regards
Tom Fineran

Old 10-23-2010, 05:43 PM

Ron, what are the COMMON problems with the Crossfire? I came across this forum when my dealership sold me a new battery to correct the "Mystery No Start Problem". The very next day after having the NEW battery installed, my Crossfire had the "Mystery No Start Problem" again. That's when I concluded that the Factory Service Manual was not directing the Mechanic to the REAL PROBLEM! How many potential problems am I facing that the Factory Service Manual doesn't mention?

If you've never seen the Factory Service Manual, It lists out some basic symptoms to which the Mechanic provides "YES" or "NO" answers. He finally reaches a component level item which he adjusts or replaces. I have one for the 2004 Crossfire in pdf format if you would like to see it.

Regards
Tom Fineran
The service manuals are to be seen in the SRT-6 sticky section, so is it in the library already or is this something different?

Old 10-23-2010, 05:47 PM

Here's the LINK for ya Tom.

Lots of other cool documents there too!

Enjoy.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:19 PM

The service manuals are to be seen in the SRT-6 sticky section, so is it in the library already or is this something different?
Here's the LINK for ya Tom.
Lots of other cool documents there too!
Enjoy.
Well I have EIGHT of the manuals and CD Disk iso images that are at the link provided by tighed1. I also have one that I don't find listed. It may not be of any value to anyone. The title is "Chrysler Crossfire 2004 Specifications Base & Limited.pdf". Its a sort of CODE GUIDE for ordering a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire. It lists all the available options and items required to order an option. I'll try emailing it to tighed1. Let him review it and decide if it's worth adding to the collection.

Regards
Tom Fineran

Old 10-23-2010, 06:40 PM

Sweeeeeet Tom!

We'll take anything we can get!

Old 10-23-2010, 07:16 PM

Well I have EIGHT of the manuals and CD Disk iso images that are at the link provided by tighed1. I also have one that I don't find listed. It may not be of any value to anyone. The title is "Chrysler Crossfire 2004 Specifications Base & Limited.pdf". Its a sort of CODE GUIDE for ordering a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire. It lists all the available options and items required to order an option. I'll try emailing it to tighed1. Let him review it and decide if it's worth adding to the collection.

Regards
Tom Fineran
How about this one?
http://www.fizzgig.net/xf_nav/student_reference.pdf

Old 10-23-2010, 07:33 PM

We'll take anything we can get!
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/THOMAS%7E1.FIN/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/THOMAS%7E1.FIN/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
tighed1, I tried sending you an email with the CODE GUIDE aka Chrysler Crossfire 2005 Specifications Base & Limited.pdf but the email didn't allow attachments. So I copied the pdf to my clipboard and pasted that into an email to you. It doesn't look very professional doing it that way. It is readable to assess the content though. So another thought. If I email the Chrysler Crossfire 2005 Specifications Base & Limited.pdf to
webmaster@crossfireforum.org who actually gets it? Would they know what to do with it? The document is EIGHT pages long and 72.5kb or 105kb in size as a pdf file. Any other thoughts on sending an email with an attachment?

Regards
Tom Fineran

Attached Files
Old 10-23-2010, 07:43 PM

How about this one?

Well I figured out how to attach the pdf file to my posting! Guess that moves me up from the NOVICE class? See the bottom of my previous post to view the Chrysler Crossfire 2005 Specifications Base & Limited.pdf manual!

Regards
Tom Fineran

Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 PM

Tom. Thought that looked familiar.
It's posted in the Documentation thread already as "Crossfire Specifications - SRT6".

Thanks for all of the effort!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 PM

It's posted in the Documentation thread already as "Crossfire Specifications - SRT6".
Well I think someone misidentified it when they posted it as such. The reason I say that is the 6 speed manual transmission is listed in the manual I posted. To the best of my knowledge, the 6 speed manual transmission was NEVER available as an option on an SRT6.

If you've never seen an "Ordering Code Guide" for a GM, Ford or Chrysler automobile, they all look very similar to this. The major difference is the REAL "Ordering Code Guides" contain the 2 to 6 alpha-numeric codes that the three manufacturers (GM, Ford and Chrysler) use to build the vehicles.

Regards
Tom Fineran

Old 10-24-2010, 01:40 AM

Tom. Thought that looked familiar.

Thanks for all of the effort!
What Tom posted was the 2005 Crossfire Limited specs. The 2005 SRT-6 specs are in the Documentation thread as well though, as is the order codes for the SRT-6.
These do not list too many options as not many options were available, just tires and navigation if my memory serves me correctly.
Basically you got what was on the lot, navigation would be added at the dealership if it was not already on the car and you wanted it. I'm not sure if any cars were ordered by the customer, maybe though.
I tend to think that dealerships were sent cars and told to sell them, not asked.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-24-2010 at 01:47 AM.

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)