TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 09-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Replied in other thread!
Found your email in my spam folder.
I don't use the forum messaging too much as my mailbox fills up.

Please continue to use email (tighed1@hotmail.com). Should work now that I mark your address as safe. :-)

Old 10-19-2017, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update

I just thought that I would give a brief update on my previous posts re: the intermittent no-start problem. Up to my last post (mid September), I had implemented all of the suggestions made to me (thanks to everyone on the thread), but I still had another no-start/crank when the car was in the drive.

Ultimately, I sent the RCM to Tighed1 who re-did the solders (I don’t think that my service centre did them too well), replaced some relays, did the horn thing, sprinkled some magic dust on it, and sent it back to me. I got it 2 weeks ago as of yesterday and, so far so good. We have been out in the Crossfire several times and I have started it up many times more and, up to now, it has been fine – fingers crossed that the problem is now resolved. Many thanks to Tighed1.

A footnote. I spent 2 or 3 three weeks trying to solve this issue with service centres who really knew nothing about the Crossfire. This was largely time wasted, and when you add to that the 3 week turn around to send the RCM from the UK to Tighed1 and back, I would have been better just contacting him from day one. On the plus side, whilst we missed out on our planned driving holiday through France and Spain, the RCM had a dream of a time. I figure that it travelled over 13,000 miles, (more miles than our Crossfire has done in the last 3 years). During that time it visited Manchester and London in the UK, and then California and Nevada in the USA whilst spanning the rest of the country. It also enjoyed good weather, travelled (I believe) on 4 different airlines and visited a number of postal centres on both sides of the Atlantic. It also interacted with British and US customs who fortunately chose not to add duty to the air mail costs. If only I could have tagged along!!

Old 10-19-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL... Now that's a success story..

Old 10-19-2017, 02:56 PM

Re; repair of Body Control Module and other car computers, I had great success with World ECM in Atlanta GA. 189 w lifetime guarantee and years later its still working.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did it. I bought my XFire less than 2 days ago and I am not taking any risk. Here are before/after pics. You can see on the before picture that the soldering on the middle pin is bad. I do not think it would have failed, but hey, it took me less than 10 minutes, so why not be safe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20171106_104407.jpg (969.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg
20171106_104609.jpg (1.15 MB, 26 views)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:35 PM

Good preventative measure. When we broke down with the mystery no start problem, the car had to be flat bedded from the filling station (where it decided not to start), back to our home town, and that was not a happy sight. That said, until this year the car was completely reliable.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by marlam
Good preventative measure. When we broke down with the mystery no start problem, the car had to be flat bedded from the filling station (where it decided not to start), back to our home town, and that was not a happy sight. That said, until this year the car was completely reliable.
I feel for you. This is the only car I have (smart huh?), so a no start is a no-no. I also bought a camshaft sensor and a crankshaft sensor. Both are sitting in the trunk with an E8 Torx, just in case.
Funny thing is, I first bought those, then read again the Carfax report, only to see the camshaft sensor was replaced 2 years ago

Old 11-12-2017, 11:58 AM

Having a reserve or two is no bad thing - you will really get a buzz from the Crossfire and our "no start issue" was the only major mechanical problem we have had with the car since we got it in 2009.

My (based on costly experience) tip is to make sure that you keep the air con active. We take our Crossfire off the road over winter (normally November to March) because we don't use it over the winter and it saves a load of road tax. This year the air con compressor stopped working and that was £700 Sterling to get replaced/fitted. The garage told me that if I had ran the air con for 15/20 minutes every week it would probably still be OK. An expensive lesson.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by marlam
Having a reserve or two is no bad thing - you will really get a buzz from the Crossfire and our "no start issue" was the only major mechanical problem we have had with the car since we got it in 2009.

My (based on costly experience) tip is to make sure that you keep the air con active. We take our Crossfire off the road over winter (normally November to March) because we don't use it over the winter and it saves a load of road tax. This year the air con compressor stopped working and that was £700 Sterling to get replaced/fitted. The garage told me that if I had ran the air con for 15/20 minutes every week it would probably still be OK. An expensive lesson.
Thanks for the tip! Living in SE Florida, it will not be too hard to follow lol.
And yes, I do get a buzz from the crossfire. This is my first V6 rear drive. I f*ck*ng love it! And I love how well it handles the road too, even with so-so rear tires. Now I have to save up to get another one for the Miss...

Old 12-04-2017, 03:31 PM

On December 3, 2017 I repaired my 2006 Crossfire Relay Control module as described in many of the articles about Crossfires, when the motor will not turn over and start.
*** It was a success *** !!
I had tried it 3 1/2 years ago, but was not successful, and the entire Engine control module and RCM module were replaced for $1800.
I reheated and reflowed the solder on all the board contacts on the RCM, using very little solder. Reinstalled it, crossed my finger...and it started...for 2 days now!!
Some after thoughts about the process:
Before removing anything, try this: Close all doors, and from the outside, insert the door key into the door lock and turn it to lock and unlock all doors. Do this 4 times. Get back in and see if the car starts. 20% of the time this has worked, and I have fixed Jaguars, Mercedes, etc. Apparently the security system decides that who ever is trying to start the car shouldn't, and it won't let the car be started. The door unlock/lock action tells the security system that the person with the key is a "good guy"!!
Other concerns on soldering the RCM module. I have a temperature controlled soldering iron and lots of year of Printed Circuit board repair. First, as you heat the joints, use a little solder on the iron to help transfer hear to the joint, and as soon as the solder starts to liquify, remove the heat. Too much heat can cook some of the components. When done with all contacts, carefully look to ensure that solder has not bridged between two joints.
The soldering fixed my problem, but I am suspicious that maybe another culprit was at fault...because all the joints looked very good to me. I suspect that the real culprit may be an intermittent wire crimp on one of the connectors. These wires are crimped to a connector pin that is then inserted into the connector body. A poor connection can cause an intermittent, UNTIL THE PLUG IS REMOVED, TWISTED AND REINSERTED.
This is all conjecture by me, but 65 years of electrical technician trouble shooting, tells me that this may be the most likely suspect! Too bad Mercedes would not pin point the actual problem cause.
Greg Fiore A proud 2006 Crossfire owner for 10 years.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:28 PM

Being the diy guy I am, I decided to try my hand at this with zero soldering experience... the engine started turning over, but being -2 degrees didn't fully start. I tried again and it stopped rolling over and went back to the Whiney square one I started at. Would that be because I did a bad job soldering or was I fixing the wrong problem?
Originally Posted by tighed1
How to Relay Control Module (RCM) Repair - (Mystery no Start)
Click here to Go to post 120 for loaner RCM info
Thanks LGV-XFIRE!

This post is in response to the MANY occurrences of the "Mystery No Start" issue. Symptoms being car will die and/or will not restart but may restart after waiting for a while. Also, when attempting to start the engine all electronics work but the engine will not crank.

Hundreds have been spent "repairing" this problem by buying a new Relay Control Module (RCM) and paying for diagnostics, removal and installation.
Well I'm here to help save you some time, $$$ and aggravation cuz YOU will do the repair yer self!

This repair will require that you are able to properly operate a soldering iron. Beyond that it’s pretty easy.
Let’s get started (get it?)!

First four steps might look familiar cuz they come right out of the “Me so Horny” mod.

1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Remove the cover that contains the RCM and pull the RCM out.

3. Disconnect all plugs from the RCM.

4. Remove the protective cover from the RCM. Might take a little prying with small screwdrivers.

5. Inspect the rear of the RCM. Pay particular attention to the area in the yellow outline box located in the lower right hand portion of the photo.

Here are two examples of what you might see.
This is NYPD-Crossfire’s BAD RCM.

And now the close up.

By just slightly touching the center set of connections I was actually able to make and break the electrical connection. No wonder his car wouldn’t start.

Here is my still “good” RCM from the coupe.

As you can see the connections here are also VERY poor. It’s still working but looking like it does it wouldn’t be long before I too would have encountered the Mystery No Start issue.
  • REPAIR
6. Time for the repair. Get yer soldering iron nice and hot and (one at a time) heat the joint and apply additional solder. Be sure that the joint gets hot enough to thoroughly heat the pins that are protruding through the board. The pins are pretty stout and if not heated enough you may get a cold solder joint and end up having a starting problem because of that.

Re-soldiered connections. Compare with the above photo. I think I'm safe now!

NOTE: Now would be a GREAT time to do the “Me so Horny” mod. Two deep cuts in the circuit board. Solder in two wires. That easy!
7. Put the protective cover back on the RCM.
8. Re-connected RCM.
9. Put the RCM back into the main box.
10. Install cover.
11. Connect battery.

Yer Done!

Old 12-31-2017, 08:50 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Radley
Being the diy guy I am, I decided to try my hand at this with zero soldering experience... the engine started turning over, but being -2 degrees didn't fully start. I tried again and it stopped rolling over and went back to the Whiney square one I started at. Would that be because I did a bad job soldering or was I fixing the wrong problem?
At this point we have to eliminate a weak battery since it was -2 out.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 12-31-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:57 PM

Radley,
The Electronic Relay Control Module is not the cause of your starting problem if the engine is turning over at all.
Check the Battery and terminals. Easy to do if you can use a jumper to another car or a quick start mini battery.
Greg Fiore

Old 12-31-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

A bad fuel pump relay in the RCM will allow the car to crank but not start.
Depress the valve on the fuel rail to ensure you are getting fuel or simply listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 seconds when the key is first turned to the ON position.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the correction Tighed1. I shouldn't make sweeping statements unless I know what all the relays on the RCM are doing!!
Is there an RCM circuit board picture showing the circuits associated with the different relays?
If so, it would be easy to lift up the RCM, reconnect all connectors and do simple voltage measurements.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=tighed1;430639]EVERYONE.

hi.. wonderful post.. I have a no-start.. but it maybe due to alarm issues..
Fobs dont work, I opened with a key (no alarm sounded tho').. When tried starting w. key, typical 1s 'almost run' twice (I think), then nothing. Disconnected battery for 15 mins, including contacting pos and neg cables for 1min.. No change.. (this procedure worked before, when fob batteries died )..
Could I still have the RCM issue, or is it something else.. what do you thin?

TIA

Old 01-05-2018, 01:04 PM

Racecar,
I interpret your post as this:
The engine turns over and almost starts. It does this twice. then nothing?
If the engine will not turn over (crank) after 2 tries, then try connecting a
new battery or jumper battery. If it always turns over, but only fires (engine is trying to
start) initially, then you may have a fuel or fuel pump problem. As Tighed1 pointed out, the RCM module has a fuel pump control relay on it that may have a bad connection.
When you turn on key, listen to see if you hear the fuel pump run.

Try this:
Get a can of engine start spray from an auto parts shop. (cheap).
Lift off the plastic engine cover on top of the engine.
Carefully pull back one of the large black air feed hoses enough to spray some engine start in. Spray for about 4 seconds. Quickly try and start the car. If it starts right up and runs 15 seconds, you have: 1. bad fuel 2 .fuel pump problem 3. Clogged fuel filter 4. RCM relay problem that controls the fuel pump.
Greg Fiore

Old 01-05-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Fiore
Racecar,
I interpret your post as this:
The engine turns over and almost starts. It does this twice. then nothing?
If the engine will not turn over (crank) after 2 tries, then try connecting a
new battery or jumper battery. If it always turns over, but only fires (engine is trying to
start) initially, then you may have a fuel or fuel pump problem. As Tighed1 pointed out, the RCM module has a fuel pump control relay on it that may have a bad connection.
When you turn on key, listen to see if you hear the fuel pump run.

Try this:
Get a can of engine start spray from an auto parts shop. (cheap).
Lift off the plastic engine cover on top of the engine.
Carefully pull back one of the large black air feed hoses enough to spray some engine start in. Spray for about 4 seconds. Quickly try and start the car. If it starts right up and runs 15 seconds, you have: 1. bad fuel 2 .fuel pump problem 3. Clogged fuel filter 4. RCM relay problem that controls the fuel pump.
Greg Fiore
thanks. I mean that I think I have a SKREEM issue: I cant get passed the security disable, by disconnecting the battery for 15 mins (and 1 min shorting B+ and B- leads).. and additionally by resynching the keyfob transmitter ..
So the keyfob blinks but does not lock or unlock doors. I had previously had good luck with both.. disconnecting battery to reset skreem, when keyfob battery died.. and resyncing/reprogramming the key, when i got a new one (Mrs lost hers.. )

Old 01-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Just ordered a Standard RY-1562 as a spare since apparently the same for my Crossie and the SLK320 (which gives an occasional 410). My question is "Is there a single replacement relay that will fit all positions ?" - would like to pick up an extra relay just in case.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Just ordered a Standard RY-1562 as a spare since apparently the same for my Crossie and the SLK320 (which gives an occasional 410). My question is "Is there a single replacement relay that will fit all positions ?" - would like to pick up an extra relay just in case.
Yes there is. I bought a few , a year or so back from RobM ,here on the Forum. Also waldig (Woody) has replaced his pump relay with a bigger 40amp version because he put the meter to it at start up an said it jumped above the 30 amp mark instantly. Most everyone says ,when you do find them , it's in lots of 50. Maybe ask tighed1, but I'll tell ya," ain't as easy as you think". Your money ahead just sending it to him for repairs. I learned that the hard way! I did it...but not again..

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)