TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 10-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by tighed1
Yes I'm still repairing these!

I'll inspect, redo bad solder joints, perform the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o key) and replace the Air Pump relay (and the Fuel Pump relay if needed). I will then test your RCM in one of my cars. Then I will mail back the RCM to you via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day). In most cases I get the RCM back in the mail the day after I receive it so yer looking at about a week total. If you want the package insured please include an additional $8. FYI, In the couple/few years that I have been doing this only one was lost in the mail.
Please email your address to me also.

Will post this in the first post so folks can find it.
the wire connector on the fuel pum relay came apart and I have no idea the placement of the wires. Do you have a picture or diagram of the wire colors on the rcm

Old 10-07-2018, 10:08 AM

2005 crossfire.
the wire holder came apart and I do not know the correct location of the wires. Does anyone have a diagram or picture of the wires that connect to the rcm
it’s the connect with 5 wires . Thanks in advance

Old 10-11-2018, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

I took a chance and pulled a RCM out of my car and sent it to Dan so he could get back on the road as the XF is his only car. I told Dan of my dream of having a community RCM at the ready to send to any other member that requires the same type of assistance.
Dan has graciously offered to provide some of the funds towards me purchasing a community RCM.
I provide the RCM repair service for the price of a beer but am willing to add to the cost of a community RCM if I can get some assistance from other members.

Anyone have a spare RCM or willing to help in the purchase of a community RCM?

Who knows, maybe YOU will benefit from this some day!

Thanks! Here to help!
DJ
Tighed1, are you still sending out "loaner" RCMS? I have been without a car for over a month now and am going insane while someone is TRYING to figure out why my car isn't starting. I'm on a very limited income and have depleted just about as much as I can possibly spend on fixing my car and today came across this post. I would be indebted to you if we could see if the RCM is my problem. If so, I'll send you mine to fix!!! I just can't afford another couple hundred dollars down the drain for nothing. I know these posts were older so I don't know if you are still

Old 10-11-2018, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

I took a chance and pulled a RCM out of my car and sent it to Dan so he could get back on the road as the XF is his only car. I told Dan of my dream of having a community RCM at the ready to send to any other member that requires the same type of assistance.
Dan has graciously offered to provide some of the funds towards me purchasing a community RCM.
I provide the RCM repair service for the price of a beer but am willing to add to the cost of a community RCM if I can get some assistance from other members.

Anyone have a spare RCM or willing to help in the purchase of a community RCM?

Who knows, maybe YOU will benefit from this some day!

Thanks! Here to help!
DJ
Tighed1, are you still sending out "loaner" RCMS? I have been without a car for over a month now and am going insane while someone is TRYING to figure out why my car isn't starting. I'm on a very limited income and have depleted just about as much as I can possibly spend on fixing my car and today came across this post. I would be indebted to you if we could see if the RCM is my problem. If so, I'll send you mine to fix!!! I just can't afford another couple hundred dollars down the drain for nothing. I know these posts were older so I don't know if you are still doing this. I'd appreciate it. By the way, I have a son who is a combat engineer at Ft. Hood! I'm in Phoenix! Not to far from you! Thanks!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be glad to support an "Emergency Loaner RCM Fund", as a way of saying "Thanks" to all who have provided tips and fixes that have kept my 2005 Roadster running solidly in my first year of ownership, which ends on November 1.

Looking at the Needswings web site, we can do it with 25 contributions of $10, or 10 contributions of $25. for a single RCM, which should support current needs, I'm in for either plan - or whatever other funding plans we may come up with.

Will others offer support for this?

/Rich

Old 10-11-2018, 07:54 PM
MEC

Rock Auto has an RCM for $124. About half the price and it works well. Got one as a backup to keep in the car.

Originally Posted by SoonersFan
Tighed1, are you still sending out "loaner" RCMS? I have been without a car for over a month now and am going insane while someone is TRYING to figure out why my car isn't starting. I'm on a very limited income and have depleted just about as much as I can possibly spend on fixing my car and today came across this post. I would be indebted to you if we could see if the RCM is my problem. If so, I'll send you mine to fix!!! I just can't afford another couple hundred dollars down the drain for nothing. I know these posts were older so I don't know if you are still doing this. I'd appreciate it. By the way, I have a son who is a combat engineer at Ft. Hood! I'm in Phoenix! Not to far from you! Thanks!
Originally Posted by ambidextrous
I would be glad to support an "Emergency Loaner RCM Fund", as a way of saying "Thanks" to all who have provided tips and fixes that have kept my 2005 Roadster running solidly in my first year of ownership, which ends on November 1.

Looking at the Needswings web site, we can do it with 25 contributions of $10, or 10 contributions of $25. for a single RCM, which should support current needs, I'm in for either plan - or whatever other funding plans we may come up with.

Will others offer support for this?

/Rich

Old 10-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MEC
Rock Auto has an RCM for $124. About half the price and it works well. Got one as a backup to keep in the car.
That makes it pretty painless: 10 people @ $13, or 20 @ $7 or so. Let's get this done!

/Rich

Old 10-12-2018, 06:15 PM

I had to give up...

My baby's goin to the doctor....

Old 02-11-2019, 04:10 PM

Hello Tighed, I am looking at a Crossfire vert with 22,000 miles on it and the dealer said it wouldn't start so he sent out to get fixed and then it started. He called me today and said he moved the car and then it wouldn't start anymore. He got dash lights and A/C blows but no start. Does this sound like the RCM fix you do? Thanks for this info.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by YFD_322
Hello Tighed, I am looking at a Crossfire vert with 22,000 miles on it and the dealer said it wouldn't start so he sent out to get fixed and then it started. He called me today and said he moved the car and then it wouldn't start anymore. He got dash lights and A/C blows but no start. Does this sound like the RCM fix you do? Thanks for this info.
If the Fan goes erratic high speed it is a good chance this is the RCM problem acting up.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:15 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Still doing repairs! :-)
If you would like me to refurbish your RCM...Send your RCM and $30 (cash, money order, check) to:DJ TIGHE3601 Pinnacle CtSierra Vista, AZ 85650 I'll inspect, redo bad solder joints, perform the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o key) and replace the Air Pump relay (and the Fuel Pump relay if needed). I will then test your RCM in one of my cars. Then I mail back the RCM to you via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day). In most cases, I get the RCM back in the mail the day after I receive it so yer looking at about a week total. If you want the package insured please include an additional $5. FYI, In the few years I have been doing this 3 have been lost in the mail.If you ship to me via a method that requires a signature it will extend your waiting time as I will have to go into town to sign for the package.Leave all fuses and plastic cover on RCM.Let me know what symptoms the car had.Please email your address to me also.Or for $50 I will replace all relays (except horn - it never goes bad). You should NEVER have an RCM problem then.NOTE: If the 3 middle RCM relays are a lot darker in color than the outer 2 relays, I would suggest getting this service performed.
They (relays) have been HOT and are more prone to failing (my experience).

tighed1@hotmail.com
DJ

Old 02-21-2019, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the good job on my RCM got it on Thursday installed on Friday, car started right up, engine check light went off and it runs great. Anyone with a no start problem or engine check light with a P04– code, contact Tighed1. Very reasonable price with a 7-10 day turn around time. Do not go to a dealership.
‘Thanks again Tighed1
Old Tweety

Old 03-14-2019, 06:10 PM

I just wanted to thank you today I read your post, my 2005 Chrysler crossfire has been unable to start the last two months, and I didn't know why however I pulled out the RCM and re-soldered those three leads pop that baby back in and my Chrysler crossfire started right up !!

thanks again.

WiseWissel.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by wisewissel@gmail.com
I just wanted to thank you today I read your post, my 2005 Chrysler crossfire has been unable to start the last two months, and I didn't know why however I pulled out the RCM and re-soldered those three leads pop that baby back in and my Chrysler crossfire started right up !!
thanks again.
WiseWissel.
That is just great!
Anticipate that, as in my case, after some more months, a relay may fail, but now you know what to do..

Old 04-03-2019, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by wkminten
Yesterday I was driving my 04 Crossfire and all the dash lights came on and the car died. The car will crank forever and not start. Is this a typical symptom of the Mystery No Start? Or is the Mystery No Start a No Cranking Issue?
I just bought mine about a month ago and it started doing just that when it's warm out. It's also an 04. Did you ever find a solution?

Last edited by Hijackd; 04-04-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:58 AM

If it keeps cranking but doesn't start it's probably your crank sensor. After cranking a considerable amount of times ( about 9-12) without successfully starting the engine it should throw a check engine light with the faulty crank sensor code Check to see if you hear the buzzing noise from the fuel pump when you turn the key over to run right before cranking. If not, then it's your fuel pump (RCM ISSUE)

Last edited by BenzFire; 04-04-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:38 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hijackd
I just bought mine about a month ago and it started doing just that when it's warm out. It's also an 04. Digs you ever find a solution?
crank but no start is usually the Crank Position Sensor.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by BenzFire
If it keeps cranking but doesn't start it's probably your crank sensor. After cranking a considerable amount of times ( about 9-12) without successfully starting the engine it should throw a check engine light with the faulty crank sensor code Check to see if you hear the buzzing noise from the fuel pump when you turn the key over to run right before cranking. If not, then it's your fuel pump (RCM ISSUE)
Looks as though I should do both for good measure. For the most part I can deal with the RCM repair on my own (assuming it's just the solder joints). Where might I find the crank sensor for a low cost?

Old 04-07-2019, 01:59 AM

Hi, I have a 05 Crossfire coupe. It had a problem with not starting I took to a dealer and they replaced the battery. But it was still not starting. I then looked on UTUBE and found this forum. I did what you said about soldering the 3 dots. It started and run good for about a month. One day it just died I waited a minute and tried to start and it did but then it died again. I tried starting it at home and letting it run but no luck it died again. I need help. I don't think a dealer would look on UTube.
Are you still repairing these yourself? Can I send you mine? I live in Indiana. Do you know anyone around southern Ind. that could help?
Thanks
Magic

Old 04-07-2019, 03:28 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Magic
Hi, I have a 05 Crossfire coupe. It had a problem with not starting I took to a dealer and they replaced the battery. But it was still not starting. I then looked on UTUBE and found this forum. I did what you said about soldering the 3 dots. It started and run good for about a month. One day it just died I waited a minute and tried to start and it did but then it died again. I tried starting it at home and letting it run but no luck it died again. I need help. I don't think a dealer would look on UTube.
Are you still repairing these yourself? Can I send you mine? I live in Indiana. Do you know anyone around southern Ind. that could help?
Thanks
Magic
send email to tighed1@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)