TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Door Lock Help

Old 10-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Lock Help

Alright guys/gals, I'm brand new to the forum. So hello to all!

I have an issue with my door locks. When the car is running, the locks work perfectly fine. It still auto locks when I get to the appropriate speed. But when I turn the car off, they no longer lock. And when I exit the vehicle after turning it off, it automatically unlocks both doors and the hatch. When I try to lock it, it sounds like it tries to lock but can't. I can't lock it using the key from the outside. And one more detail. When the locks are in the locked position, the lock on the passanger door goes down further than the one in the driver side. The driver side is almost flush with the rest of the door.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Door Lkk Help

Originally Posted by Arkiduca
Alright guys/gals, I'm brand new to the forum. So hello to all!

I have an issue with my door locks. When the car is running, the locks work perfectly fine. It still auto locks when I get to the appropriate speed. But when I turn the car off, they no longer lock. And when I exit the vehicle after turning it off, it automatically unlocks both doors and the hatch. When I try to lock it, it sounds like it tries to lock but can't. I can't lock it using the key from the outside. And one more detail. When the locks are in the locked position, the lock on the passanger door goes down further than the one in the driver side. The driver side is almost flush with the rest of the door.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
What do you mean exactly when you say this, "I can't lock it using the key from the outside."

The sound you here when trying to lock the car where does it come from?

Do you mean only the drivers side door locks?... ????

Can you screw the passenger side door lock **** down farther?

Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Door Lock Help

Just a shot in the dark : check fuse #9 in the underhood accessory fuse block.

( All 180's points are valid, it's just that I had 'similar' symptoms and it was that pesky fuse. I replaced it in the spring, it has not blown again )

Old 10-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Time for some clarification. I've had this Xfire for about a year, and I had this locking issue shortly after purchasing it. However, most of the time it's always been parked in a gated community so I was never worried about someone breaking in. But in a few months, I'll be moving to a bigger city and I want to get it fixed by then.

So I went out and rechecked the locks. The fuse is still good. And I was wrong when I said "But when I turn the car off, they no longer lock." They still lock, but the problem is when I open my door, all the locks unlock. And when the doors are open, I can't lock it. And when I insert the key on the outside, it will turn easily enough, but nothing happens. It's still unlocked. And the FOB for whatever reason doesn't work. I've replaced the batteries and still nothing.

So I'm wondering if there's something disconnected between the keyhole and the locking mechanism? And if that's the case, how do I get to it? I've taken the driver's side door panel off before, but I didn't try to remove the lock due to time constraints.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:25 AM

They still lock, but the problem is when I open my door, all the locks unlock.
This can be changed by reprogramming.

And when the doors are open, I can't lock it.
The driver side door will not lock if it is open, I believe the passenger side will.

And when I insert the key on the outside, it will turn easily enough, but nothing happens. It's still unlocked.
Do you mean when the door open?

And the FOB for whatever reason doesn't work. I've replaced the batteries and still nothing.

The fob may need to be reprogrammed after the batteries have been changed and the fob was without power for some time. The instructions for this are on this forum.

So I'm wondering if there's something disconnected between the keyhole and the locking mechanism? And if that's the case, how do I get to it? I've taken the driver's side door panel off before, but I didn't try to remove the lock due to time constraints.
There is a switch in the lock or close to the mechanism that is activated when the key is turned, but the door must be closed of course.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Do you mean when the door open?
When the door is closed, I try to lock it with the key and it won't lock.

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There is a switch in the lock or close to the mechanism that is activated when the key is turned, but the door must be closed of course.
I'm going to look into that this weekend. Is there any guides or pictures avaiable to see where the switch is or what it looks like?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:18 PM

When the door is closed, I try to lock it with the key and it won't lock.

I'm going to look into that this weekend. Is there any guides or pictures avaiable to see where the switch is or what it looks like?
On 8Q - 45 of the Service manual for the 2004 you can see the circuit that the key operates when it is turned in the drivers side door lock. So there is an electrically operated switch in the door lock mechanism somewhere, this starts the pump in the trunk area.

Here is a PDF that has a picture of the inside of the door with the inner panel off and the sound deadening material removed.
CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-02-2013 at 12:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
glover (07-23-2020)