TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Changing oil questions

Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing oil questions

First, I really do do a search, but get tired of seeing oil highlighted in one paragraph and two paragraphs later it highlights changing. I'm well aware that all search engines do this, but it gets old since it is zip helpful. I've tried quote marks with not much better luck.

I just googled chrysler crossfire oil filters and found that they are designed to fit into a canister. Alfa, and I'm sure many other companies, phased that system out roughly 40+ years ago.

However, Alfa never installed their's upside down. Oy! Perhaps everyone takes their XF to their neighborhood Chrysler (or Mercedes) dealer for oil changes. But how in the heck do you remove the upside down canister with the filter in it and don't have a major oil spill?

Okay, I just took another look and I'm guessing that you remove the black plastic top. Is the filter inside that, or is there more to it? I really don't like surprises.

Assuming the very oily filter is there, then one lifts it out and has a container to catch all of the dripping oil?

Does the XF have a nice safe place in the center of the front undercarriage with which to lift the car so that the oil can be drained? I'm aware of the side lift points.

Or is this a matter of trying it once, then take it to a pro ever afterwards. And by pro, I don't mean a Jiffy Lube type place.

0/40 Mobil is apparently a given. No problem. Which oil filter is considered the best - or are original/factory type oil filters the best?

The oil lights not on but I need to decide if I want to do it myself or take it to a dealer and then rent a car, etc. etc....

Old 11-09-2013, 05:46 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Changing oil questions

Changing the oils is very easy. I suggest driving the car up on to a set of car ramps. this is what I do. The filter is under the black cap and just slides over the stem of the cap. I used a mobile 1 filter and 0-40 oil.
The filter wont be dripping much when you remove it just have a rag in your hand. There is a plastic skid plate or engine cover over the bottom of the engine. this must come off to get to the oil pan drain. That's all there is to it. Piece of cake.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Filters @ $8.75 and free shipping.. Guess you have noted the O rings on the filter canister shaft.. and you will have 1 spare.. LOL

Mann HU718/5X | eBay

Old 11-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Forum Regular

I forgot to mention the rings/seals that come with the filter. You defiantly want to replace them as well.

Hey Mr M were you able to get those sensors sent off?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by pjm30144
I forgot to mention the rings/seals that come with the filter. You defiantly want to replace them as well.

Hey Mr M were you able to get those sensors sent off?
Check your mail box today..

(post office said Saturday..)

Hope they fix the issue for you..

Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks Harbor! Used that link on my first rodeo with the car! Have to run out the door and didn't have time to search it out..

Old 11-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Check your mail box today..

(post office said Saturday..)

Hope they fix the issue for you..

Thank you sir! I bet it won't make any difference but we will see.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay away from the paper filters. Best to go with a fleece type filter. As mentioned above The Mann HU 718/5X is OEM. If you have someone else do your oil change for you make sure that they use a fleece type filter. I got burned that way once. By the time I got around to checking the filter it had deteriorated badly and was coming apart at the top & bottom. BTW you can pour the oil into the filter housing before replacing the cap & filter. A little easier that way.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Forum Regular

Using a fleece filter is unnecessary. For oil changes under 7k miles any quality paper filter is fine. There are many many Shelby mustangs Hemi Challengers and other hi power cars etc that use paper filters with out any issues. Talk to any Mercedes mechanic about this. For longer than 5k-7k between oil changes a paper filter will not fall apart unless it is defective. There is nothing so special about the crossfire Mercedes engine requiring a fleece filter. Here is a link to a filter thread you can read.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-fleece-2.html

Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using a fleece filter is unnecessary. For oil changes under 7k miles any quality paper filter is fine. There are many many Shelby mustangs Hemi Challengers and other hi power cars etc that use paper filters with out any issues. Talk to any Mercedes mechanic about this. For longer than 5k-7k between oil changes a paper filter will not fall apart unless it is defective. There is nothing so special about the crossfire Mercedes engine requiring a fleece filter. Here is a link to a filter thread you can read.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-fleece-2.html
TOTALLY disagree.......for the cost of a $9 fleece filter why would you use paper?

Old 11-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Forum Regular

I am not arguing that it is not a good choice or the money. However if you have a paper filter there is no reason to freak out and rush to get a fleece filter. The fleece filters are designed for the longer oil change intervals often recommended in new cars with synthetic oil. I personally change my oil every 3.5k miles or 2 times a year which ever comes first. There is no harm in using a quality paper filter in this case. If you are someone who neglects changing your oil or goes beyond 5k miles between oil changes than I would recommend a fleece filter. For me this will never be an issue. I have been building American racing engines and muscle cars all my life and never required a fleece filter because I already over maintain these cars. This engine is no exception and the filter is just another few bucks I can save for something else. It adds up.
Just my opinion and not the opinion of this station or it's management.

From Mercedes is the following.
The key issue in filter choice is the MB229.5 and MB229.51 approval specifications that call for filter use up to 19,000 miles or 30,000 kilometers. Cellulose fibers are not recommended in extended drain applications and could cause a failure of the filter element in rare situations.

Last edited by pjm30144; 11-09-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

I am not arguing that it is not a good choice or the money. However if you have a paper filter there is no reason to freak out and rush to get a fleece filter. The fleece filters are designed for the longer oil change intervals often recommended in new cars with synthetic oil. I personally change my oil every 3.5k miles or 2 times a year which ever comes first. There is no harm in using a quality paper filter in this case. If you are someone who neglects changing your oil or goes beyond 5k miles between oil changes than I would recommend a fleece filter. For me this will never be an issue. I have been building American racing engines and muscle cars all my life and never required a fleece filter because I already over maintain these cars. This engine is no exception and the filter is just another few bucks I can save for something else. It adds up.
Just my opinion and not the opinion of this station or it's management.
I
+1
I had two perfectly good paper filters in Mercedes boxes and I threw them away. I would have used them but as I had the new fleece filters as well they were taking up room so .... bye bye. They were not meant for extended use like the fleece filters. Paper filters have been with us for years and as long as they are quality filters they should be OK. I had a cheap Chinese filter in my car when I got it and I think I changed it just before it fell apart.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Forum Regular
Default Changing oil questions

harbor, thanks for that informative link. I didn't quite understand the paper sandwiched between the filter, but assume that was to prevent dripping.

Also, I do't understand whee the spring type filter clamp comes into play. It appears as if the large nut is how it is removed, though that and the diagonal metal part might just hold the filter in?

And thank you all for the filter info. For a few bucks more, the fleece filter sounds like the way to go. Without a doubt the 8 quarts of Mobil 0W/40 are the greatest expense.

Last question (for now): how does changing oil/filter before 7000 miles affect the oil warning light?

Old 11-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Forum Regular

It will not change the mileage to next oil change.

To reset after you change your oil.

1. Move the ignition switch to the “RUN” position.
2. Within 4 seconds of moving the ignition switch into the
“RUN” position, press the reset button for the trip odometer
twice within one second. The display for the FSS service
request is activated for 10 seconds
3. During the 10 seconds the FSS service request is displayed,
move the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.
The FSS service request will continue to be displayed.
4. Press the reset button for the trip odometer and
hold
5. Move the ignition switch to the “RUN” position
6. Continue to press and hold the reset button for the trip
odometer (about 10 seconds) until the audible signal
sounds and the new start distance appears in the display.
The tool symbol should disappear at this time.

Hope that helps

Last edited by pjm30144; 11-09-2013 at 02:39 PM.