TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Radar Detector Dome light hot wire

Old 06-24-2022, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Detector Dome light hot wire

I was looking into getting a Uniden R4, with a hardwire kit(linked below)
https://a.co/d/0bSlxHl

I want to tap into the dome light connector. Is this wire hot when the key is on? Or only when the dome light is on?

Thanks for any advice

Old 06-24-2022, 04:14 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Re: Radar Detector Dome light hot wire

If you tap into the wire providing power to the switch, it should be hot when the ignition is on. the other side of the switch will only be hot when the switch is turned on.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
If you tap into the wire providing power to the switch, it should be hot when the ignition is on. the other side of the switch will only be hot when the switch is turned on.
Awesome! Any knowledge on what color wires I would need to tap into to?

Old 06-25-2022, 06:33 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by griffinregan
Awesome! Any knowledge on what color wires I would need to tap into to?

I would check the service manual electrical wiring harness for where that wire comes from and when it is 'hot' for a few important reasons. These cars are not your basic hot wire system harnesses any more, they go through modules and are designed for specific current draws for that designed circuit. Tapping into these may cause problems after an install depending on how much you 'load' onto that 'hot' wire you find. Just an FYI, as you know any accessory SHOULD be routed to a fuse center capable of handling the systems added (as written in your install manuals associated with what your adding). A friend up the street from me took his accessory 'bundle' on his 2011 2500 (finding a hot wire under the dash) and burned out his BCM because he overloaded the circuit that had that hot wire. Seeing as he was only a 'shade tree installer/repairman', he finally took the truck to the dealership and 1800 bucks later was back on the road. FYI...

Old 06-25-2022, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I would check the service manual electrical wiring harness for where that wire comes from and when it is 'hot' for a few important reasons. These cars are not your basic hot wire system harnesses any more, they go through modules and are designed for specific current draws for that designed circuit. Tapping into these may cause problems after an install depending on how much you 'load' onto that 'hot' wire you find. Just an FYI, as you know any accessory SHOULD be routed to a fuse center capable of handling the systems added (as written in your install manuals associated with what your adding). A friend up the street from me took his accessory 'bundle' on his 2011 2500 (finding a hot wire under the dash) and burned out his BCM because he overloaded the circuit that had that hot wire. Seeing as he was only a 'shade tree installer/repairman', he finally took the truck to the dealership and 1800 bucks later was back on the road. FYI...

I understand what you are saying. I believe the wire tap kit I bought has an inline fuse. Does this help the issue? They also sell a fuse tap kit, that can go straight into the fuse box. Is this the better alternative?

Old 06-26-2022, 02:57 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by griffinregan
I understand what you are saying. I believe the wire tap kit I bought has an inline fuse. Does this help the issue? They also sell a fuse tap kit, that can go straight into the fuse box. Is this the better alternative?

Does not help this issue. Your still drawing whatever current through the circuit your tapping (through whatever other circuitry it is connected to). YES, YES, you can go straight to the FUSE BOX, like the installation instructions probably suggest. You do not need a fuse tap kit, but it might make the install easier if you've not done this before. They place an inline fuse in the accessory (what your installing) because they do not want people to sue them after something goes wrong (like melting wires/burning up your car). The installation manual probably says something like install to an accessory or hot point at the main or aux fuse panel and use the inline fuse after the hot line you tap into. These care are VERY sensitive to electrical issues, this is why you should not just tap into any hot wire in the car.. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:59 AM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't realise "radar detectors" were still a thing? After the commercial utilisation of GPS, most "radar detectors" / speed camera location alerts, made use of a GPS Database file you'd download to your device.
Then instead of active radar detection, they alert you to a known camera location (or other type of hazard) via the GPS database, based on the recorded known cameras in that area (you are driving through).

Some modern variations of "speed cameras" use digital technology and don't emit any type of radar. Using photography / ANPR instead!