CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   TSBs and How-To Articles (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/)
-   -   trunk rattle (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/47502-trunk-rattle.html)

spikehound 01-10-2011 07:02 PM

trunk rattle

Hey guys, I tried searching the forums but I couldn't find what I was looking for. There is a rattle coming from the trunk door, sounds like its coming from right under the wing. Anyways sounds like something got loose and it's driving me nuts. Is there a way to remove the plastic so I can find what is making the noise? Any help is appreciated thanks.

bluecoupe 01-10-2011 07:17 PM

Re: trunk rattle

Coupes are known to have the hatch rattle at the latch. Try putting a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the latch post to see if this solves the rattle. Also there is a rubber stop on each side of the hatch that can be adjusted. If you don't have a coupe, well I dunno?

spikehound 01-10-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Coupes are known to have the hatch rattle at the latch. Try putting a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the latch post to see if this solves the rattle. Also there is a rubber stop on each side of the hatch that can be adjusted. If you don't have a coupe, well I dunno?

Yeah I have a limited coupe. It's not the latch because I can hear exactly where the noise is coming from and it's under that plastic

PNA 01-11-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by spikehound
Yeah I have a limited coupe. It's not the latch because I can hear exactly where the noise is coming from and it's under that plastic

Don't be too sure it's from under the plastic. First try sticking some clear little bumper adhesive strips in the spots where the hatch bumpers meet the body. You can stick some directly on the black adjustable bumpers on the hatch if you like. Shut the hatch and drive around and see if you still hear the rattle. Hopefully it fixes the rattle. You may have to make some adjustments for thickness / placement of the adhesive strips but it stopped the noise in mine. Adjusting the bumpers on the hatch isn't hard but it is tricky for having the hatch fit and look alignned, that's whey the adhesive strips work better.

If it's not that then taking the lower hatch plastic off to check the spoiler mechanism isn't hard. 1 screw in the handle and then carefully pulling the plastic away from the hatch panel gains easy access to the spoiler motor. Check to see if something is amiss there.

Good luck.

spikehound 01-11-2011 03:48 PM

Lol thanks guys, I'll try your suggestions first before I take anything apart but I'm almost convinced its coming from under the plastic. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

green-ghost 01-12-2011 06:30 AM

Did you drive it with the jack and air pump out? My jack handle had to be wedged in with a piece of cardbosrd cause it was flopping around

mdaniels4 01-12-2011 08:09 AM

almost with certainty it is the bumper stops on the side needing adjustment. Mine had that, I fiddled with it a bit and for the last year no rattles. They do loosen a bit over time, so they have to be reset. I put a mark on the stop nut to get them into position.

maxime75us 01-12-2011 03:10 PM

hi

Could be the strut too!

green-ghost 01-12-2011 08:24 PM

Dead Hookers flopping around?

Chris L. 01-14-2011 08:47 PM

After about 2 years of having 3-4 wraps of electrical tape on the latch post, I started hearing a little "clunk" at slow speeds over certain types of road irregularities. The underneath side of the tape around the latch post had been eaten through so to speak. Peeled it all off & replaced it.....clunk gone again.

Steve - UK 01-15-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L.
After about 2 years of having 3-4 wraps of electrical tape on the latch post, I started hearing a little "clunk" at slow speeds over certain types of road irregularities. The underneath side of the tape around the latch post had been eaten through so to speak. Peeled it all off & replaced it.....clunk gone again.

So you never thought of just adjusting it?:confused:

Joliet John 01-15-2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
So you never thought of just adjusting it?:confused:

There are no adjustments which will eliminate the latch rattle.

Steve - UK 01-15-2011 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Joliet John
There are no adjustments which will eliminate the latch rattle.

Just extend the bump stops at each side of the rear hatch, this raises the position of the hatch enough to eliminate the loose (rattling) latch when closed. When adjusted correctly, the rear hatch will shut nicely with a slightly firm action and the latch will not rattle as it has a little tension in it:p

Joliet John 01-15-2011 04:18 PM

Just extend the bump stops at each side of the rear hatch, this raises the position of the hatch enough to eliminate the loose (rattling) latch when closed. When adjusted correctly, the rear hatch will shut nicely with a slightly firm action and the latch will not rattle as it has a little tension in it:p

From what I've seen here, there are people who've tried everything else and still had the rattle.

onehundred80 01-15-2011 04:18 PM

That's my solution, it rattled when I got the car and it hasn't rattled in five years now.
The only noise I hear from the back is the Trunk Monkey, a few bananas quickly stops that though.
trunk monkey on Yahoo! Video
Too good to forget so I dug them out, sorry.:p

green-ghost 01-15-2011 06:21 PM

Same here, it was driving me nuts so I just adjusted the side stops and its perfect...just like me!:p

spikehound 01-19-2011 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by green-ghost
Dead Hookers flopping around?

Haha my favorite response.

I adjusted the stoppers (raised them up a bit) made it worse. So i lowered them and gone! Thanks guys!