TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Spark Plugs

Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

I bought mine at Advance Auto parts as well just make sure they are double platinums. The total price was I think about $70 plus tax but believe me it's worth it. My engine light was on for a whole year and my car would always shut down randomly. I decided to change my plugs when it finally shut down in the middle of a 4 way stop. Ever since then, the car is a million times faster, shifting gears seems pretty different I had no idea spark plugs would even make a difference when it came to shifting gears but it did. My engine light is finally off. I took it to Advance to hook up the machine to check for more codes and there are none. The spark plugs are well worth it. I changed out the plugs by myself with no one's help. Yes I'm a female 22 I'm used to working on hondas but I'm not going to lie, this German car was a beeeeeeeeetch until I figured out how to change them. My hands are cut up so if you have a child with little hands that would help you soooo much more! Make sure you get 12 plugs...yes 12 plugs. I almost died when I found out it needed 12 plugs but The Xfires are the Mercedes SLKS just with a Chrysler body and those also require 12 plugs as well as some of the Jags. There are 6 plugs on the left side of the enngine, and 6 plugs on the right side of the engine. Before you get to the plugs, you're going to have to remove the engine cover. It's soooooo easy it only takes about 5 seconds because it is just a SNAP ON cover. No need to unscrew anything. Grab the rear left and rear right of the cover and slightly pull and it will come off, next pull off the front part of the cover. The front part of the cover is connected to two black air tubes so you wont break anything. Just pull off the cover then if you look on the left and right side of the engine you will see six wires leading to the spark plugs. I used a 5/8 tool thing to remove the spark plugs (sorry idk the name of the tool) and extension tools to reach in the hard to reach areas. It's easier if you remove the wires when removing the plugs because it gives you a tad bit more room to work. BUTTT PLEAAAASSSSE REMEMBER TO PLUG IN THE WIRES IN THE RIGHT SOCKET! I labeled my wires with bright pink nail polish. If you don't plug the wires right back where they were in the beginning, I'm sure you'll be walking. It sounds hard but believe me it's not! I'm a girly girl I like shopping, shoes, etc so if I can do it, so can you! If you go to get it done by a mechanic, I think you just suck at life. I had help from no one so you shouldn't either.. Other than that you will be happy once the new plugs are in you'll notice a HUGEEEE difference. As soon as my camera comes in I'm going to make a vid It sounds hard but it's not. Just be sure to have LOTS of patience & you will be fine!!! The only problems I ever had with my Xfire was my sticky ignition, my spark plugs and a flat and everything is finally fixed! Don't go to a mechanic you save soooo much money just by doing it yourself and who doesn't like to know their car inside out! It's time consuming but fun! Don't throw your money away! GOOD LUCKKK EVERYONE!

Last edited by chelle89; 01-09-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Spark Plugs

Originally Posted by chelle89
I bought mine at Advance Auto parts as well just make sure they are double platinums. The total price was I think about $70 plus tax but believe me it's worth it. My engine light was on for a whole year and my car would always shut down randomly. I decided to change my plugs when it finally shut down in the middle of a 4 way stop. Ever since then, the car is a million times faster, shifting gears seems pretty different I had no idea spark plugs would even make a difference when it came to shifting gears but it did. My engine light is finally off. I took it to Advance to hook up the machine to check for more codes and there are none. The spark plugs are well worth it. I changed out the plugs by myself with no one's help. Yes I'm a female 22 I'm used to working on hondas but I'm not going to lie, this German car was a beeeeeeeeetch until I figured out how to change them. My hands are cut up so if you have a child with little hands that would help you soooo much more! Make sure you get 12 plugs...yes 12 plugs. I almost died when I found out it needed 12 plugs but The Xfires are the Mercedes SLKS just with a Chrysler body and those also require 12 plugs as well as some of the Jags. There are 6 plugs on the left side of the enngine, and 6 plugs on the right side of the engine. Before you get to the plugs, you're going to have to remove the engine cover. It's soooooo easy it only takes about 5 seconds because it is just a SNAP ON cover. No need to unscrew anything. Grab the rear left and rear right of the cover and slightly pull and it will come off, next pull off the front part of the cover. The front part of the cover is connected to two black air tubes so you wont break anything. Just pull off the cover then if you look on the left and right side of the engine you will see six wires leading to the spark plugs. I used a 5/8 tool thing to remove the spark plugs (sorry idk the name of the tool) and extension tools to reach in the hard to reach areas. It's easier if you remove the wires when removing the plugs because it gives you a tad bit more room to work. BUTTT PLEAAAASSSSE REMEMBER TO PLUG IN THE WIRES IN THE RIGHT SOCKET! I labeled my wires with bright pink nail polish. If you don't plug the wires right back where they were in the beginning, I'm sure you'll be walking. It sounds hard but believe me it's not! I'm a girly girl I like shopping, shoes, etc so if I can do it, so can you! If you go to get it done by a mechanic, I think you just suck at life. I had help from no one so you shouldn't either.. Other than that you will be happy once the new plugs are in you'll notice a HUGEEEE difference. As soon as my camera comes in I'm going to make a vid It sounds hard but it's not. Just be sure to have LOTS of patience & you will be fine!!! GOOD LUCKKK EVERYONE!
There! If a GirlirGirl can do it, anyone can! Jump right in and do whatever needs to be done. Hey Chelle, get yourself a topsider and change your oil too! Don't forget to do a throttlebody reset (use the search tool here) and if you really want to play do the MAF descreening and elbow debaffle. Of course you should seriousely think about a eurocharged tune, you think it runs like a bat-out-of-hell now just wait for these simple mods and a tune! Have fun, and remember this site is quite the wealth of information and money-saving tips for your XF!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

GOOD JOB !!!!

Just a few hints :

>> I used a 5/8 tool thing - that is a 5/8 deep well 3/8" drive socket.

1. If you remove ALL the spark plug wires AND the 6 coil packs before you begin, you will have a LOT more room to work.
2. Don't worry - the coil packs are labeled A & B, as well as labeling on the cylinder head above the plugs for the same A & B.
3. If you cut 2 lengths of hose that fits tightly over the porcelein part of the plug, then all you have to do is break them free with the socket, use the hose sections to remove and install them. This helps prevent cross-threading a plug - SOMETHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO !!!!!. The 2 lengths I used were one about 3" long, and one about 4" long. ( I used left-over hose sections from the NeedsWings oil catch can install )

The hardest part of this job is removing and installing the plug leads. Mechanics have a special pair of pliers called 'spark plug boot pliers' for this.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats, you're more competent than most men I know. For a moment, I was about to recommend the CPS repair but it seems like you're good to go.

Cheers,